• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc laws for out of state people

litlchiz

imported post

i live in utah and will be traveling through wyoming to colorado, so i will be in my vehicle most of the time and i might stay the night in laramie. i was wondering if any one knew the laws for me to open carry if it is possible

thanks

Hanzerik

imported post

In the vehicle you must keep the gun visible if you don't have a concealed weapons permit, but it can be loaded. As long as you are legally able to own a pistol, you can open carry it.

apwhite

imported post

Hanzerik wrote:
In the vehicle you must keep the gun visible if you don't have a concealed weapons permit
Actually that is not true. You are allowed to have a firearm anywhere inside your vehicle loaded or unloaded. You may not carry it concealed on your person unless you have a permit. There are not any firearm laws that refer to posession in a vehicle.

State Code Sect. 6-8-104 only refers to "A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon.."

I recall specifically discussing this during the CC class I had. Consensus was that the best place for a firearm, unless carried on your person, is in the glove box or center console. In the event of an accident you really don't want stuff flying around.

MatieA

imported post

Hanzerik wrote:
In the vehicle you must keep the gun visible if you don't have a concealed weapons permit, but it can be loaded. As long as you are legally able to own a pistol, you can open carry it.

I will repeat myself again......

There are 0 ........count them with me....0.....laws concerning open carry in the state of Wyoming.

Hanzerik

imported post

MatieA wrote:
Hanzerik wrote:

I will repeat myself again......

There are 0 ........count them with me....0.....laws concerning open carry in the state of Wyoming.
I guess I stand corrected. I could have sworn that I read somewhere that your pistol has to be visible if you carry it (on your person) while in a car if you don't have a carry permit.

MatieA

imported post

Many many police officers do not know the law and like to recite what you are referring to. That could be where you heard it. Maybe I should not have quoted your piece as I was not meaning to pick on you, just the thread in general as it has been stated a few times in the Wyoming section that there are no laws written covering open carry in Wyoming.

apwhite

imported post

MatieA wrote:
it has been stated a few times in the Wyoming section that there are no laws written covering open carry
To me this topic is different and warrants the additional discussion. There is nothing open about having a handgun in your glove box or under your seat. So common sense would say that we are talking about concealing in a vehicle.

Now I agree that the same laws in Wyoming apply to open carrying or concealing in a vehicle, i.e., none.

Mjolnir

imported post

open carry is just that, open.

if you are carrying in a car and the weapon is on your person and you can not see it then it is not open carry but concealed.

common sense should prevail when laws are not specfically addressed on the issue but people love to push the envlope and as such common sense does not always apply

now i dont know about you but i would rather be careful and smart while using common sense instead of sticking my head in the bears mouth

apwhite

imported post

Mjolnir wrote:
if you are carrying in a car and the weapon is on your person and you can not see it then it is not open carry but concealed.
Who can not see it? Yourself? A cop standing at the drivers window? Someone half a block down the street? Does this mean that you are not allowed to carry your sidearm in an OWB holster on your right hip while driving?

This is the same kind of ambiguous statement that cops use all of the time to make up laws. I just want to clarify exactly what you mean by "not see it".

The way I understand it is that there is an element of intent involved with concealment - at least here in Wyoming, and many other states - some states have a much more strict interpretation regarding visibility. Are you actively trying to conceal the weapon via placement, clothing, whatever? Carrying a holstered handgun, not covered by clothing is open carry regardless of whether you are walking down the street or sitting in a car.

Furthermore, what do you mean by "open is open". No one disputes that you can open carry, the point of discussion was regarding carrying concealed in a vehicle. Are you saying that non-open carry discussions are forbidden here? Are you saying that the legality regarding concealing in a vehicle here in WY is ambiguous and that you shouldn't do it? Even though the same number of laws apply to having a firearm in one's vehicle as to open carry, i.e., zero.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't want folks thinking that a firearm must be completely , 100% visible while in a vehicle (or on your person). Setting it on the dash or on the seat next to you is just trouble. While certainly legal, not the most commonsensical thing to do. Anything that is unrestrained quickly becomes deadly in the event of a collision. So just leave it on your hip or put it in your glove compartment.

gaspasser

imported post

I tried to find the answer to this one myself a while back and decided that even though there is no law prohibiting me from doing so, not even the police know whether it is legal or not. Here is my email to the Attorney General of Wyoming and his response:
---
What is the Wyoming law (please reference if applicable) regarding driving a vehicle with a loaded handgun in the glove compartment or center console?

A county sheriff and highway patrol officer have told me that it is illegal unless I have a concealed carry permit. The Wyoming Game and Fish website states, "Wyoming has no restrictive laws concerning firearms which may be legally possessed. They may be carried uncased in vehicles although safety dictates that all firearms in a vehicle should be unloaded with action open."
http://gf.state.wy.us/services/university/educationexam/lawsandregs/
(I don't want to know what is safe, or what is wise, only what is legal.)

The state law prohibits wearing or carrying concealed weapons without a permit, but what about in my glove box. Is that more like my bureau drawer at home, or more like my pants pocket? (Statute 6-8-104. Wearing or carrying concealed weapons)

If there is no specific law regarding this, has there been a precedent set in court? What is the basis for the law enforcement officers to tell me that it is illegal?
---

His response:
---
Sir: My authority to issue opinions is limited by Wyo. Stat. 9-1-603. I cannot offer opinions or legal advice to private citizens. The Wyoming Supreme Court has not passed on this question, nor am I aware of any lower court which has. I'm sorry that I cannot offer further guidance. Sincerely, Bruce A. Salzburg Wyoming Attorney General Tel. (307) 777-7841 Fax (307) 777-6869
--

aadvark

imported post

Wyoming is really easy:

1. Open Carry is Legal everywhere, but

2. Concealed Carry not so much.

Kevwyo

imported post

I'm really glad this topic came up. I will be traveling to "home" ie, Wyoming and specifically Laramie at the end of June and will be bringing my handgun with me. I was curious (just like the OP) about how OC in Wyoming affects out-of-staters such as myself. Sounds like OCing doesn't give a hoot about where you're from.

I wish Wyoming recognized my Oregon CHL.

bobcat

imported post

Kevatc, there are *no* Wyoming statutes on OC. Therefore, any citizen or legal alienlegally able to own a firearm can carry in locations not posted or prevented by Federal law. Simple as that. -As The Count has so ably stated.

Just act responsibly, respect private propertyand you won't have any issues with OC in Wyoming.

mrjam2jab

imported post

Kevatc wrote:
I'm really glad this topic came up. I will be traveling to "home" ie, Wyoming and specifically Laramie at the end of June and will be bringing my handgun with me. I was curious (just like the OP) about how OC in Wyoming affects out-of-staters such as myself. Sounds like OCing doesn't give a hoot about where you're from.

I wish Wyoming recognized my Oregon CHL.

Laws do not differentiate between residents and non-residents. If it is legal for a resident to OC then it is legal for a non-resident as well.