• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Podcasts of OCDO's John Pierce debates with Brady group's Hennigan & Helmke

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

nomidlname wrote:
Any way someone can post a link to a download? I can go to youtube at work :(
That show is available as a podcast on itunes. Don't know what their turn around time is to get todays show up there though.

TFred

imported post

The live show is over. Anything you find now will have to be either a delayed rebroadcast on another station that streams, or a podcast from somewhere such as iTunes, etc.

TFred

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:
The live show is over. Anything you find now will have to be either a delayed rebroadcast on another station that streams, or a podcast from somewhere such as iTunes, etc.

TFred
I guess we're out of luck, it doesn't seem like anyone, anywhere recorded it.

slowfiveoh

imported post

The author of "A Well Regulated Militia..." is providing examples that do not apply to individual rights.

He is utilizing the example of a Militia (Again, substantiated NOT to be indicative of the individual) to express an opinion about arms that would have not met the description of a militia maintained arm, nor the individuals right to possession. Very poor argument indeed.

The audio just dropped, which is extremely disappointing. I was listening to Professor Cornell reply to John and tell him that Property rights were certainly contained in the Bill of Rights, etc. Then it simply dropped....

Can anyone elaborate what happened afterwards?

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Well, that wasn't the "slam-dunk" that we all hoped for.
The forum precluded the participants asking one another questions so it was difficult for John to go on the offensive.

slowfiveoh

imported post

Hey guys, click on the "On the Air" link, then simply select the "What is happening to gun control" link. You can listen to the broadcast over again.

Here is a direct link to KCRA's site:

http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp

Again, click "On the Air".
When the new window pops up, click on the "Listen" button located in the "What is happening to gun control?" section on the right side.

Enjoy!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
Hey guys, click on the "On the Air" link, then simply select the "What is happening to gun control" link. You can listen to the broadcast over again.

Here is a direct link to KCRA's site:

http://www.kcrw.com/news/programs/tp

Again, click "On the Air".
When the new window pops up, click on the "Listen" button located in the "What is happening to gun control?" section on the right side.

Enjoy!
I've been there a dozen times, there is no way to listen to anything there.

Scratch taht, they just added the links!

NOTE: These guys apparently don't know how to properly compress non-musical recordings, the download is 23MB.

slowfiveoh

imported post

ixtow wrote:
NOTE: These guys apparently don't know how to properly compress non-musical recordings, the download is 23MB.
50mb connectivity has it's uses. I realize it's not beneficial for those in the sticks.

If it would please everybody, and breaks no laws, I would happily record, and release, not-for-profit of course, a re-recorded, and compressed version of the audio.

To address the conversation directly, I noticed a fair amount of deference to hypothetical "feelings" and "experiences" that Paul Helmke claims to have had with individuals who express some sort of fear about the right to keep and bear arms.

I find it odd that we would feel the need to express such fear to firearm carrying individuals as we move day in and day out through our lives. It seems to me that it has become expected that we rely on our neighbors for:

Neighborhood Watch
Doctors, Nurses, and other life saving careers.
Retention of our most personal identifying information (Social Security, Drivers Licenses, etc.)
Operation of 4,000lb SUV's at high rates of speed, in highly complex traffic patterns.
Enforcement of laws.
Handling our finances (Bankers, CPA's, Tax Advisors etc.)
Repair of our critical vehicles systems (Brakes, Cooling, etc.)
Emergency Response and Fire services
Legal Defense
and the list is endless.

...yet somehow people attempt to assign great danger to an individual that we can obviously trust for all of the above, who simply exercises the right to be able to defend his family?

I realize a significant portion of the misunderstanding is blatant naivety. Significant, copious amounts of individuals have never touched a firearm, let alone develop any sort of rational fear on any credible basis against them.

I have stared at my rifle as it sat out of its case for a good hour or so before, and my family is very much alive.

Can anyone elaborate as to what I'm missing here?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
ixtow wrote:
50mb connectivity has it's uses. I realize it's not beneficial for those in the sticks.

If it would please everybody, and breaks no laws, I would happily record, and release, not-for-profit of course, a re-recorded, and compressed version of the audio.
You could just cut out all the unrelated talking on totally different topics. I'm still listening to oil production..... No Helmke or Pierce yet....

Alexcabbie

imported post

The Bradyite argument is based on nothing more than the theory that emotion trumps logic and reality.

I once had a conversation with a young woman who carried on without a comma about her brother who had been shot to death. But as it turned out he had been shot during a cocaine deal gone bad. When I had the temerity to point out that maybe if her brother had not been in a place he should not have been doing something he qughtn't to have been doing he might be alive today;, she screamed, yelled, smacked me and told the bartender to throw me out, which he did.

Another stupid argument I hear often is from "new age" "christians" who piously quote the old "He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword" adage. Let me point out that the adage is true, because "living by the sword" means getting what you need and/or want by means of armed force.

Neither I nor - I hope - anyone here "lives by the sword". We live WITH the sword. What these sanctimonious nimrods do not realize is that our sword is the one the brigands shall die by. Quite a difference, but when reality meets emotion, emotion is a formidable foe.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Another stupid argument I hear often is from "new age" "christians" who piously quote the old "He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword" adage. Let me point out that the adage is true, because "living by the sword" means getting what you need and/or want by means of armed force.

Neither I nor - I hope - anyone here "lives by the sword". We live WITH the sword. What these sanctimonious nimrods do not realize is that our sword is the one the brigands shall die by. Quite a difference, but when reality meets emotion, emotion is a formidable foe.
Hypocrites. Deliberate mis-interpretation. If you believe in that stuff... It's clear the Devil lives in their Churches, whispering these lies as Gospel...

One who DOES NOT live by the sword, is no less able to die upon one. In fact, how shall they ever prevent it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

N6ATF wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
It always amazes me how the antis think that passing more laws and banning handgunswill somehowstop criminals, whom by definition do not obey the law in the first place, in their tracks.

Last I checked, murder, rape, armed robbery, burglary, etc...are all illegal...yet it has NEVER deterredthe criminals in the least....NEVER!
They don't. They know that they and their fellow criminals can only survive and prosper if all guns are banned out of their victims' hands.

The only thing that deters crime is our guns, so they must be eliminated so WE can be eliminated.
Show went very well I think - John left him grasping for straw arguments and disinformation.

It did not hurt if bit that the show host was not anti either.

Yata hey

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

John did quite well - so well that Paul Helmke had to resort to the "John might be a great guy, but who knows how bad the next guy is" argument. The deck was fairly well stacked against John, especially as there was little chance to rebut false arguments from faulty data. The generally left-leaning NPR audience may, however, have been given something to think about; for John certainly was not the yahoo, illiterate, right-wing-whacko that gun owners are often portrayed as.

eye95

imported post

Just finished listening to the public radio show.

The deck was certainly stacked, but John stated the case clearly and well (again). Even if the host's goal was to work against 2A rights, that's not what happened. Folks listening to this broadcast are much more likely to navigate to OCDO than to buy that book or look up the other organizations.

Being that the name of John's organization is the site url means that every time he is introduced, the site gets a plug.

The most important thing is for us to carry on the reason-filled message so that people think of us as regular people going about our daily business, just with a gun on our hips.

Jero1987

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great job John! Hardly the rabid 'ultrarightwing bigoted redneck' that the opposition would have preferred.
Also, I was surprised at the balance in the way the issue was presented- for NPR, that is. If I was to quantify, I'd say 60/40 (Helmke did get the last word).