• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

oc for out of state people

litlchiz

imported post

i do not live in colorado, i will be visiting soon. i was wondering if someone knew what the laws are for open carry, for out of state people. i will be east of springs and in springs most of the time, but some time in denver.

thanks

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

Pretty much what Yooper said.

DO NOT OC in Denver...being as you will be visiting, I'd suggest avoiding OC in their metro area since the city boundaries are odd.

In the Springs though, it's the opposite :D

We're pretty gun friendly around here...you likely won't receive much attention on your visit...unless you talk with an accent. :p

DocNTexas

imported post

litlchiz wrote:
i do not live in colorado, i will be visiting soon. i was wondering if someone knew what the laws are for open carry, for out of state people. i will be east of springs and in springs most of the time, but some time in denver.

thanks

As yooper pointed out, definitely do not OC in Denver. As for the other areas you indicated, you are good to go.

There is some question about Golden, Telluride and Vail, as these cities have ordinances on the book that on their face appear to prohibit OC in general, but there is also indication that they do not enforce them in that manner, opting to follow the state's original posting requirement (i.e. only areas that are specifically posted against it). The problem is,there is some question as to whether the Meyer decision (the state supreme court ruling thatsupported Denver's right to ban OC) also allows other citiesto enforce city wide bans on OC. While it may be true that none of these citiesactually enforce these ordinances in that manner at this time, the potential appears tobe there, so, use your own discretion in these areas.

Doc

cscitney87

imported post

DocNTexas wrote:
litlchiz wrote:

thanks

As yooper pointed out, definitely do not OC in Denver. As for the other areas you indicated, you are good to go.

There is some question about Golden, Telluride and Vail, as these cities have ordinances on the book that on their face appear to prohibit OC in general, but there is also indication that they do not enforce them in that manner, opting to follow the state's original posting requirement (i.e. only areas that are specifically posted against it). The problem is,there is some question as to whether the Meyer decision (the state supreme court ruling thatsupported Denver's right to ban OC) also allows other citiesto enforce city wide bans on OC. While it may be true that none of these citiesactually enforce these ordinances in that manner at this time, the potential appears tobe there, so, use your own discretion in these areas.

Doc
Ugh.. you had to go muddy it up...

Sorry, Doc, they don't OPT to follow state law. Duh!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

litlchiz, do you have a concealed handgun license that is honored in Colorado?

If not, just make sure you keep 1,000 ft away from schools while open carrying.

DocNTexas

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
DocNTexas wrote:
litlchiz wrote:

thanks

Doc
Ugh.. you had to go muddy it up...

Sorry, Doc, they don't OPT to follow state law. Duh!

Again cs, learn to read.

I stated that these cities have laws on the book that prohibit OC, but appear to have OPTED NOT to enforce them as city widebans, rather to enforce them only where posted. I said nothing about the state law, whether they can or can't ban OC or anything about opting out of state law.

But, FYI, anyone can opt to do whatever they wish. Then it is up to the courts to decide who is right. After the state passed SB25 in an attempt to preempt all local gun laws (including bans on OC), the City of Denver opted to defy the state by continuing to enforce their city wide OC ban, and when challenged,fought it in court and won despite the fact that everyone said they would not win because the LAW WAS CLEAR. Not so clear now.

Now that Denver has won, everyone is claiming..."OH, O.K,Denver can, but no one else". Until that is proven by a city losing that challenge in court, it is just you opinion that they can't. Again, many legalexperts disagree with your opinion.

Doc

cscitney87

imported post

Bwahahaha now you are belittling Me, when you were just complaining about the very same issue in a passed thread. By telling me to "learn to read" you are immaturely implying that I cannot read. I must have made it here, this far- with BRAILLE! bawhaahahahaha!:celebrate

Keep burning yourself up, Doc. It's fun to watch.

Yooper

imported post

Ian wrote:
litlchiz, do you have a concealed handgun license that is honored in Colorado?

If not, just make sure you keep 1,000 ft away from schools while open carrying.

It doesn't matter if he has a concealed permit that's honored in Colorado or not, the 1,000ft rule (Federal) still applies unless your permit is issued by the state in which you reside. Though, the risk of being charged with violating that same law are probably next to zero, unless you've got some sort of record (felon in posession, drug dealer etc)

Yooper

imported post

http://www.gunlaws.com/Gun_Free_School_Zones_Act.pdf

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to
possess a firearm t h at has moved in or that otherwise
affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that
the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to
believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) shall does not apply to the
possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so BY THE STATE in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtain s such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;