• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Corporate security expert backs Starbucks policy on open carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/the-open-carry-gun-movement-and-corporate-security?pageNum=2

SNIP

Baillie said that his recommendation is that businesses simply defer to the state laws, meaning that if the state allows open carry, business policy should also allow open carry for customers. He noted that it was something he dealt with when running security and loss prevention efforts for a grocery chain in and around Phoenix, Ariz., many years ago.

"Not everyone who comes through the door is carrying a gun, even in an open carry state," Baillie said. "Arizona has been an open carry state for a long, long time, and this issue of whether we should ban guns would come up from corporate from time to time. The problem with banning [the open carry of guns] is that you start to create tension. It wasn't a really big issue; it's not like every day that people had firearms strapped to them. We would predominantly find it in the outlying stores, outside the main urban area. We didn't prohibit people from carrying guns in the store, but we would maintain a watchful eye. Never do I ever remember an armed robbery in one of our stores where it was from someone who was openly carrying. It was always concealed, because the robber wants the element of surprise."

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Never do I ever remember an armed robbery in one of our stores where it was from someone who was openly carrying. It was always concealed, because the robber wants the element of surprise."
I can barely hear you over the gasps of horror from Concealers...

I thought, somehow, they used Unicorns and Magic Fairy Dust to turn "The Elemenet Of Surprise" into something that, I'm not sure how, is a defensive thing...

Maybe I need to smoke what they're smoking in order for it to make sense.