• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travelling To Illinois

swillden

imported post

swillden wrote:
Oh, one more question: What's the law on non-firearm weapons, like a baton or a knife? I'd ask about OC spray, but I can't transport it on the airplane so that's a moot question.
Anyone want to take a stab at this?

Thanks.

swillden

imported post

Thanks. I've looked into state law and Chicago municipal code and found no prohibition against carrying a collapsible baton, so I'm planning on taking one with me.

junglebob

imported post

You should be fine with a collapsable baton. Even in the Chicago area you may find some self defense friendly LEOs. I'm taking an NRA class and a former Chicago cop retired said that he stopped several businessmen carrying bank deposits for traffic violations who mentioned I'm carrying a handgun. His reply "I didn't hear what you just said" he let them go on their way. He also said in 29 years as a Chicago cop he never arrested anyone who had a FOID card for a gun crime.

campfire

imported post

CraigC178 wrote:
Check out the FOID section of the Illinois State Police webpage.

1) You are correct that you cannot OC or CC in IL.

2) It needs to be unloaded and encased OR broken down into a "non-functioning state".
The legal definition of encased is fairly loose because the laws language includes "or other container"

3) "not directly accessible" is not in the law and the IL Supreme Court has ruled that the a center console is an "other container"

4) Non-residents cannot get and do not need a FOID card.

Here's a link to the ISP. It has all of the applicable statutes, but pay special attention to the FAQ.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/

Wow, the Illinois laws are moredifficult (in every way, including understanding them)than I knew. I'm a non-resident with family in Illinois. They live inthe St. Louis area near but outside of any city limits (I think technically that is anunincorporated area). Can I shoot on their farm with a shotgun? handgun?during hunting season? outside of hunting season? Does it matter whether I have a concealed carry permit frommy home stateor not (see FOID exception for non-residents with permits by home state)? Any help would be appreciated!

campfire

imported post

Can anyone help with these questions? Thank you.

campfire wrote:

Wow, the Illinois laws are moredifficult (in every way, including understanding them)than I knew. I'm a non-resident with family in Illinois. They live inthe St. Louis area near but outside of any city limits (I think technically that is anunincorporated area). Can I shoot on their farm with a shotgun? handgun?during hunting season? outside of hunting season? Does it matter whether I have a concealed carry permit frommy home stateor not (see FOID exception for non-residents with permits by home state)? Any help would be appreciated!

junglebob

imported post

campfire wrote:

campfire wrote:

You should be fine in an unincorporated area. Home rule cities and villages can have more restrictive ordinaces than the state. If it is within a couple of miles of a city or village you might inquire from the clerk if that city or village is a home rule community and has firearms ordinances. Very few cities in Southern Illinois have firearms ordinances, but it would be more likely near St. Louis. They should also be listed on the Illinois State Patrol website www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearms.cfm go to municipal ordinances on that web page. Outside of hunting season you should be fine. Having a CCW permit from your state won't make any difference here in Illinois, but if you want to carry, it is good in Missouri, as well as Indiana, and Kentucky maybe Arkansas as well. Most "free states" near Illinois especially south and west and east (not Iowa yet, wait a few months) recognize other states CCW permits.

The only problem with shooting in a rural area during hunting season I think would be if a conservation officer thought you were hunting.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/documents/072000050K24-1.htm

[align=justify]"(720 ILCS 5/24‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑1)
(Text of Section from P.A. 96‑41)
Sec. 24‑1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(1) Sells, manufactures, purchases, possesses or

[/align]
[align=justify]carries any bludgeon, black‑jack, slung‑shot, sand‑club, sand‑bag, metal knuckles or other knuckle weapon regardless of its composition, throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switchblade knife, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or a ballistic knife, which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile by means of a coil spring, elastic material or compressed gas; or

[/align]
[align=justify](2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same
unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character..."(emphasis added)[/align]

[align=justify][/align]

[align=justify]Not being a lawyer or giving legal advice, I determined that carrying a collasible baton(or billy) would only be illegal if you used it or intended to use it to commit a crime. As a self-defense weapon it would seem legal.[/align]

campfire

imported post

junglebob wrote:
campfire wrote:

campfire wrote:

You should be fine in an unincorporated area. Home rule cities and villages can have more restrictive ordinaces than the state. If it is within a couple of miles of a city or village you might inquire from the clerk if that city or village is a home rule community and has firearms ordinances. Very few cities in Southern Illinois have firearms ordinances, but it would be more likely near St. Louis. They should also be listed on the Illinois State Patrol website http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearms.cfm go to municipal ordinances on that web page. Outside of hunting season you should be fine. Having a CCW permit from your state won't make any difference here in Illinois, but if you want to carry, it is good in Missouri, as well as Indiana, and Kentucky maybe Arkansas as well. Most "free states" near Illinois especially south and west and east (not Iowa yet, wait a few months) recognize other states CCW permits.

The only problem with shooting in a rural area during hunting season I think would be if a conservation officer thought you were hunting.
I don't know; after another review it looks like to me that (430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑2) makes possession illegal for people without a FOID (which means non-residents) unless they meet an exemption, and unless I'm in hunting season hunting properly under the exemptions, looks like the only other way I could get exempted is to have a permit (like a concealed permit) from my home state. Am I reading this correctly?

junglebob

imported post

Campfire, As I mentioned the NRA lobbyist says that a non-resident can transport the same way an Illinois resident can, he can't get a FOID card, but he says he can still transport unloaded and encased anywhere in the vehicle. Note the ISP recommends that non-residents transport "not immediately accessible" they don't say it is required. They also recommend that women use keys, nail files, and combs for self defense and if necessary throw up on themselves to make themselves less appealing to a sexual predator. I think I'll go with the NRA lobbyist, he is very involved in Illinois lawmaking.