Thread: looking for an inexpensive carry holster

Post imported post

right now i carry my 1911 in a galco shoulder holster but i find myself needing something for summer so i dont have to wear an over shirt everyday. i am looking for something inexpensive since i am jobless right now and moneys a little funny.
    i do have a few small things i could trade or partial trade.
    the only stipulations i have is that
    1. no kydex or plastic
    2. needs retention strap
    3. no BIG gaudy nylon holsters with extra mag pouch built in.
    4. prefer owb but may consider iwb
    thanks

Rand Paul 2016

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

Yooper wrote: he said 1911...that usually means a 5'' barrel...that one only goes up to 4?

http://www.tpsannex.com/2172313.html

try that...but theres not many left

or...if you wanna buy in store

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...23&Go.x=16
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

You can't get much better value for the money than a Blackhawk SERPA. IIRC mine cost $40

Post imported post

i thought serpas were kydex

Post imported post

They are. What's wrong with that?
    "You'll be walking along.. OC.. and you'll feel GREAT. You'll feel FREEEEE like 1776 kind of Free." -cscitney87

Post imported post

wears on the gun way to much.
    i had one once that wore the finish off the end of the slide and i really didnt like that.

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Post imported post

If you're looking for a CC and OC holster, I suggest one of Safariland's models which are similar to the Serpas. They make many level 2 open top models which are high ride like a Serpa, but have the retention button on the inside, so that very few people will realize how it gets undone. They come in kydex, leather, and some other options too. But all are lined with felt or suede (can't remember which) and they therefore don't wear on finishes.

If you shop around, you'll probably find a Safariland model you like available for 50 bucks or less.

I know it costs more, but these things are very well made and built to last. The retention is also just about impossible to beat.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    If you're looking for a CC and OC holster, I suggest one of Safariland's models which are similar to the Serpas. They make many level 2 open top models which are high ride like a Serpa, but have the retention button on the inside, so that very few people will realize how it gets undone. They come in kydex, leather, and some other options too. But all are lined with felt or suede (can't remember which) and they therefore don't wear on finishes.

If you shop around, you'll probably find a Safariland model you like available for 50 bucks or less.

I know it costs more, but these things are very well made and built to last. The retention is also just about impossible to beat.
    i'll check em out thanks

Post imported post

Are we carrying self defense tools, or prissy safe queens?

The inside of a serpa is molded to be very smooth, and doesn't rely on friction for retention. A tight leather holster will wear a gun's finish more than a serpa.

There are two kinds of serpas, the one with a reinforced layer on the inside called the CQC that is ~$40, and one that is molded out of just plastic called the sportster for ~$25. Don't waste your money on the one that has a carbon fiber pattern printed on the outside, it's no different than the CQC.

Post imported post

Under 29 bonew w/shipping on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/BlackHawk-Righ...361&sr=8-1

Post imported post

Well Joe seeing how you have a CPL. I would highly suggest a Uncle Mikes IWB. They are really comfortable, And wont put excess wear on your slide. I carry W/ IWB when I am at home, Then I throw a Fobus on when I walk around town.

Post imported post

i actually got a few different ones got one nylon the other day from rev_derb and got a couple leathers comin anyday now. thank guys for all the suggestions.
    now im in the market for a compact 1911 hopefully colt. i'll probably end up going to jays and putting one on layaway 10% down 10% a month til its paid off.

Post imported post

I just want to say, in my 36 years experience of carrying, there's no holster that isn't going to wear away on the finish of a pistol, to one degree or another.

I've used nylon, leather and plastic/composite/kydex holsters. They all wear away at the finish.

Just my .02 worth.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

That is why my primary is poly and stainless... less work to keep it nice..
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:

This is the exact one I have been using for about a year. LOVE IT. Easy on, easy off. Comfortable.

Post imported post

i think after its all said and done i'll get me a leather paddle

Post imported post

coderdude wrote:
    FatboyCykes wrote:

This is the exact one I have been using for about a year. LOVE IT. Easy on, easy off. Comfortable.
    I have that one too, for my 1911. Works great.
    Big Gay Al

Post imported post

joe_robi wrote:
    i think after its all said and done i'll get me a leather paddle
    Joe, if you want a paddle for the easy on/off feature I would recommend to you a leather holster that snaps to the belt. They are very secure and, IMO, much much more comfortable.

A holster like the "Hipster"about half-way down this pageis what I'm talking about (but with a retention strap of course). Tim Start at that link will do custom work like adding a retention strap.

Bronson

Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

Post imported post

there is a difference between honest wear on a tool, and wear that has taken place due to misuse.

I think honest wear of any tool, be it screwdriver, hammer, saw, gun, give it more depth and character. if I see an honest worn tool, I wonder what it's story is, and what it's seen.

I wouldn't worry about honest wear on your gun, which is what any holster is going to give it.

also, why don't you just open carry your shoulder holster? I never cover mine with anything but a hoodie if it's cold enough.

also, a holster is as important to your self defense as the gun you carry, why carry a 500-1300 dollar tool, then try to cheap out on the rest? I understand you're unemployed, however, a holster failure in a situation you need your sidearm, is as bad as a failure to fire.

think about these things before you decide.

Post imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
    there is a difference between honest wear on a tool, and wear that has taken place due to misuse.

I think honest wear of any tool, be it screwdriver, hammer, saw, gun, give it more depth and character. if I see an honest worn tool, I wonder what it's story is, and what it's seen.

I wouldn't worry about honest wear on your gun, which is what any holster is going to give it.

also, why don't you just open carry your shoulder holster? I never cover mine with anything but a hoodie if it's cold enough.

also, a holster is as important to your self defense as the gun you carry, why carry a 500-1300 dollar tool, then try to cheap out on the rest? I understand you're unemployed, however, a holster failure in a situation you need your sidearm, is as bad as a failure to fire.

i have thought about all of that, and huh you wanna know somthing, i took a look at my gun today and hmmm it had some holster wear already grrr, oh well i planned on duracoating it anyways, as it stands now i am alll set thanks to everyone that helped.
    i have a gun that is worth 275.00 and now have about 300 worth of holsters.
    and the shoulder holster and the nylon are the least wearing out of them all.

Post imported post

joe_robi wrote:
    kyleplusitunes wrote:

i have thought about all of that, and huh you wanna know somthing, i took a look at my gun today and hmmm it had some holster wear already grrr, oh well i planned on duracoating it anyways, as it stands now i am alll set thanks to everyone that helped.
    i have a gun that is worth 275.00 and now have about 300 worth of holsters.
    and the shoulder holster and the nylon are the least wearing out of them all.
    Well, my RIA FS Tactical cost me about $500.00, and the BlackHawk Serpa it rides in cost me $30.00. Works fine for me.

Big Gay Al