• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

looking for an inexpensive carry holster

joe_robi

imported post

right now i carry my 1911 in a galco shoulder holster but i find myself needing something for summer so i dont have to wear an over shirt everyday. i am looking for something inexpensive since i am jobless right now and moneys a little funny.
i do have a few small things i could trade or partial trade.
the only stipulations i have is that
1. no kydex or plastic
2. needs retention strap
3. no BIG gaudy nylon holsters with extra mag pouch built in.
4. prefer owb but may consider iwb
thanks

American Boy With a Gun

Michigander

imported post

If you're looking for a CC and OC holster, I suggest one of Safariland's models which are similar to the Serpas. They make many level 2 open top models which are high ride like a Serpa, but have the retention button on the inside, so that very few people will realize how it gets undone. They come in kydex, leather, and some other options too. But all are lined with felt or suede (can't remember which) and they therefore don't wear on finishes.

If you shop around, you'll probably find a Safariland model you like available for 50 bucks or less.

I know it costs more, but these things are very well made and built to last. The retention is also just about impossible to beat.

joe_robi

imported post

Michigander wrote:
If you're looking for a CC and OC holster, I suggest one of Safariland's models which are similar to the Serpas. They make many level 2 open top models which are high ride like a Serpa, but have the retention button on the inside, so that very few people will realize how it gets undone. They come in kydex, leather, and some other options too. But all are lined with felt or suede (can't remember which) and they therefore don't wear on finishes.

If you shop around, you'll probably find a Safariland model you like available for 50 bucks or less.

I know it costs more, but these things are very well made and built to last. The retention is also just about impossible to beat.
i'll check em out thanks

Tao

imported post

Are we carrying self defense tools, or prissy safe queens?

The inside of a serpa is molded to be very smooth, and doesn't rely on friction for retention. A tight leather holster will wear a gun's finish more than a serpa.

There are two kinds of serpas, the one with a reinforced layer on the inside called the CQC that is ~$40, and one that is molded out of just plastic called the sportster for ~$25. Don't waste your money on the one that has a carbon fiber pattern printed on the outside, it's no different than the CQC.

wally1120

imported post

Well Joe seeing how you have a CPL. I would highly suggest a Uncle Mikes IWB. They are really comfortable, And wont put excess wear on your slide. I carry W/ IWB when I am at home, Then I throw a Fobus on when I walk around town.

joe_robi

imported post

i actually got a few different ones got one nylon the other day from rev_derb and got a couple leathers comin anyday now. thank guys for all the suggestions.
now im in the market for a compact 1911 hopefully colt. i'll probably end up going to jays and putting one on layaway 10% down 10% a month til its paid off.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I just want to say, in my 36 years experience of carrying, there's no holster that isn't going to wear away on the finish of a pistol, to one degree or another.

I've used nylon, leather and plastic/composite/kydex holsters. They all wear away at the finish.

Just my .02 worth. :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator

Bronson

imported post

joe_robi wrote:
i think after its all said and done i'll get me a leather paddle

Joe, if you want a paddle for the easy on/off feature I would recommend to you a leather holster that snaps to the belt. They are very secure and, IMO, much much more comfortable.

A holster like the "Hipster"about half-way down this pageis what I'm talking about (but with a retention strap of course). Tim Start at that link will do custom work like adding a retention strap.

Bronson