• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Topeka City Council considers banning open carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

see http://www.ksnt.com/news/local/story/Carrying-Guns-in-Topeka/Xr4QN-YVJUSwOv9EJcEnig.cspx

Time for Topeka and all Kansas open carriers to take action, organize, and fight to limit the reach of the new ordinance - certainly properly holstred handguns should remain legal under city law - as the city police chief said, criminals carry concealed!

Am looking forward to seeing open carriers testify before future city council meetings on this issue

IanB

imported post

Earl Mcintosh (a user here on the forum)hasbeen the point man forOpen Carry in Topeka and is quoted in the local paper:

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2010-03-09/open_carry_ban_discussed

I challenge City Attorney Kyle Smith and the City Council at large to look at the other states and cities which honor the citizens right to bear arms (carry) openly, specifically the metropolitan D.C. area of Northern VA, where thecounties/cities of Fairfax, Arlingtion, Alexandria, and Loudon County... having a population that dwarfs Topeka by 1200% have absolutely no isses with open carry. The Northern VA metro area has all the issues Topeka deals with, gangs, crazy people, etc but still respects citizens rights. What the City Council needs to understand is this is a simple training issue for the police, if they do not know the proper way to respond to law abiding men and women openly carying handguns they need to ask thier fellow brothers and sisters of the law (in localities which allow OC) for advice.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:
Earl Mcintosh (a user here on the forum)hasbeen the point man forOpen Carry in Topeka and is quoted in the local paper:

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2010-03-09/open_carry_ban_discussed

I challenge City Attorney Kyle Smith and the City Council at large to look at the other states and cities which honor the citizens right to bear arms (carry) openly, specifically the metropolitan D.C. area of Northern VA, where thecounties/cities of Fairfax, Arlingtion, Alexandria, and Loudon County... having a population that dwarfs Topeka by 1200% have absolutely no isses with open carry. The Northern VA metro area has all the issues Topeka deals with, gangs, crazy people, etc but still respects citizens rights. What the City Council needs to understand is this is a simple training issue for the police, if they do not know the proper way to respond to law abiding men and women openly carying handguns they need to ask thier fellow brothers and sisters of the law (in localities which allow OC) for advice.
You guys ned to get organized fast and get the city council's attention. Hopefully a large open carry continegent will attend meetings and respectfully ask that whatever they do, tha ordianary unintoxicated holstered handgun carry remin legal. Certainy it is not rational for the council to pas a "hide your guns" ordiance only allowing concealed carry.

marine0300

imported post

Mike,

Thank you for all your support!! We have been organizing for months. Last night we had a 150 open carry supporters at the city council planning meeting.

Nakedshoplifert,

I will use your example! Thank you and feel free to post ideas and thoughts anytime you deem necessary. You are from Topeka and one of us.

I will keep people informed,

Earl

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

marine0300 wrote:
Mike,

Thank you for all your support!! We have been organizing for months. Last night we had a 150 open carry supporters at the city council planning meeting.
Were they open carrying there at the time? Is that allowed under KS and Topeka law?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

marine0300 wrote:
The city has metal detectors so no. Several did wear empty holsters

OK, school me up on this - why do metal detectors mean anything?

I walk thru them carrying at the Va. Gen. Assembly all teh time - what KS law allows them to ban gun carry at public meetings?

K

KansasScout

imported post

I am not surprised to read this. I thought the Chief of Police might get around to this. I hope and pray my brothers and sisters in arms can fight this successfully!

Keep us informed to what is happening.

aadvark

imported post

Open Carry on Public Property is Legal in Kansas, as the State does not regulateOpen Carry. The State only regulates Concealed Carry on this issue, as is codified under 21-4201(4). Law Enforcement should be aware Open Carry is Legal, however; you should too be aware that under KSA 12-16 124, Local Governments and Counties may regulate Open Carry of LoadedFirearms on ones Person, or Carry inAir/Land/Water Vehicle, KSA12-16-124(2) and 12-16 124(4), and the same Law alsoworks at prohibiting carry intoa/ny: jail, juvenile detention facility, prison, courthouse, courtroom or city hall- KSA 12-16 124(3). With the exception of KSA 12-16-124(3), being in the possesion of a Permit from Kansas, or one which Kansas reconizes, is an affirmative defense to any prosecution under KSA 12-16 124(2) or KSA 12-16 124(4).

Under KSA 12-16 124(2) and 12-16 124(4), Topeka would be Preempted on Loaded Open Carry by those Persons who are holders of Valid Family and Personal Prtection Act Permits to Carry Firearms, issued by Kansas..., under KSA 75-7c03.

However, Topeka may regulate Open Carry, without exception for those Persons listed above, on the following properties..., as they pertain to Open Carry: 1. Jail, 2. Juvenile Detention Center, 3. Prison, 4. Courthouse, 5. Courtroom, or 6. City Hall. The City of Topeka does not have to regulate this activity, but they may well do so under Kansas Law. Unfortunately, Permit Holders are not exempt from these regulations.

Concealed Carry Laws throughout Kansas, although Uniform in nature under KSA 75-7c 17, but these Laws allow some Local Restrictions. As a General Rule of Thumb... most States, but not all States, regulate Concealed Carry far more strictly than Open Carry, espicially where Open Carry is treated as a Right, which it is, is far more acceptable than Concealed Carry, less one has a Permit to do so.

KSA 75-7c 17 allows Concealed Carry to be curtailed under 75-7c 11(a)(1) through 75-7c 11(a)(2). KSA 75-7c 11(a)(1) has to do with Private Property Rights, less your Personal Motor Vehicle. 75-7c 11(a)(2) is the Kansas Statutory Off-Limits Areas, for Concealed Carry only, per KSA 75-7c 10(1) through 75-7c 10(22). All of these areas areOff-Limitson Concealed Carry, regardless if one has a Permit, however; they may not be Off-Limits to Open Carry though.

So... Topeka can say, 'NO OPEN CARRY.'

If youhave a Permit (Kansas Personal and Family Protection Act Permit KSA 75-7c),then, you can laugh at them.

Topeka can get mad and say..., 'NO CARRY IN THE FOLLOWING PLACES: (SEE THE ABOVE UNDERLINED PLACES).

Even if they do this though, everywhere else in Topeka is okay to Open Carry.

If it is Public Property, and not one of those underlinded places, then it is okay to Open Carry there, and you can not Legally be arrested for it, or made to leave.

If it is Private Property, KSA 75-7c 11(a)(2) and KSA 21-3721(1)(A) govern, and like most any other State, you MUST leave if you are told from the Rightful Owner or Occupant.

Example: Topeka says, 'NO OPEN CARRY AT TOPEKA LIBRARY.'

You can say, 'I have a Permit (KSA 75-7c)..., I am Legal [Open Carry].

Remember though, under KSA 75-7c 11(19), Concealed Carry in the SAME Library is Off-Limits, though.

I am not an Attorney, but my advice is although Open Carry is Legal in every area except those underlined above, Concealed Carry is MUCH MORE STRICT. Everyone who lives in Kansas, and hasThe Permit (75-7c)needs to read 75-7c (10).

Open Carry is Off-Limits in Kansas at the following Areas, per Law:

1. Schools, Schools means: K-12, under KSA 21-4204(5) and KSA 21-4204(6), and

2. MAJOR STATE BUILDINGS, i.e. State Capitol, State Supreme Court, Governor Mansion, Landon State Building, Docken State Building, any other etc. MAJOR State Building, per KSA 21-4218.

Either Violation of these Laws is a Kansas Class A Misdemeanor, and it does not matter if you have a Permit (75-7c) or not.

Everywhere else, less the underlinded places (if enacted Locally), are Open Carry friendly, especially if one has a Permit.

Generally, although Kansas Law is a little confusing, Kansas is a Open Carry State.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

aadvark wrote:
Under KSA 12-16 124(2) and 12-16 124(4), Topeka would be Preempted on Loaded Open Carry by those Persons who are holders of Valid Family and Personal Prtection Act Permits to Carry Firearms, issued by Kansas..., under KSA 75-7c03.

However, Topeka may regulate Open Carry, without exception for those Persons listed above, on the following properties..., as they pertain to Open Carry: 1. Jail, 2. Juvenile Detention Center, 3. Prison, 4. Courthouse, 5. Courtroom, or 6. City Hall. The City of Topeka does not have to regulate this activity, but they may well do so under Kansas Law. Unfortunately, Permit Holders are not exempt from these regulations.
OK, can you slow down here?

I could have sworn that permit holder preemption in KS applies only to concealed carry and vehicle carry - meaning only in vehicles can permit holders OC even if locality has prohibited OC.

KSDeputy

imported post

What a great study of KS law on the subject of open and concealed carry. Some of it I did not know, and I should. This illustrates how complicated state law is on the subject of firearms, concealed carry, and open carry. I live outside of Topeka, I have decided to support open carry in this way. Why not have persons who want to open carry go through the same process that concealed carry permit holders go through? Then if they are open carrying, they must attach their permit to their body in a certain place so law enforcement won't waste time trying to figure out why they are carrying a gun? Unless state law is changed, cities can still stop open carry. I know this will not set well with many open carry supporters. I read the comments under the newspaper article and poll whose url was given in a post here. I suggest you read these comments and see what people have to say about carrying a gun openly, they are very interesting. I hope you prevail in stopping the city council from passing this ordinance. I am glad that you have an organized opposition to it. As for the metal detectors, aside from law officers, no guns are allowed in city hall or the courthouse.

aadvark

imported post

The climate of Open Carry is Kansas is similiar to that of Virginia prior to Virigina Preemption.

For example..., prior to Preemption in Virginia, Cities could regulate Open Carry, i.e. such as in Local Parks/State Parks,but these regulations did not apply to Permit holders. The same is true in Kansas.

Vehicle Carry in Kansas is Legal, but Cities can curtail this as well. Remember though, per Kansas Law, as citied within my last article, these regulations do not apply to Permit holders.

Concealed Carry in Kansas is more stirct than Open Carry.

Open Carry is generally acceptable, but Local Governments can make this difficult to do.

However, Permit holders are exempt from Local Open Carry Bans.

Kansas Law is complicated, but it is complicated because KSA 12-16 124 was around before KSA 75-7c.

When KSA 75-7c came around the Law was significantly rewrote, thus causing the confusing network of Laws that they have now.

Remember, Kansas and Nebraska were the last two States to pass Concealed Carry Laws, and now, only Illinois and Wisconsin lack Concealed Carry reform.

However, this may soon change in both of those States as well!

In the Midwest, generally, Open Carry is accepted, Concealed Carry is restricted.

The oddities to this rule are: 1. Texas, 2. Arkansas, and 3. Oklahoma. These three States do not allow Open Carry, only Concealed Carry...,

Here is Kansas Law, straight out of the Kansas Code. The underlined sections prove Persons with a Kansas Permit are exempt from Local Open Carry Bans and Local Vehicle Carry Bans..., as they are both underlined and bolded.

[align=center]Chapter 12.--CITIES AND MUNICIPALITIES [/align]

[align=center]Article 16.--MISCELLANEOUS PROVISIONS [/align]

12-16,124. Firearms and ammunition; regulation by city or county, limitations. (a) No city or county shall adopt any ordinance, resolution or regulation, and no agent of any city or county shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, transfer, ownership, storage or transporting of firearms or ammunition, or any component or combination thereof. Except as provided in subsection (b) and subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, any such ordinance, resolution or regulation adopted prior to the effective date of this 2007 act shall be null and void.

(b) Nothing in this section shall:

(1) Prohibit a law enforcement officer, as defined in K.S.A. 22-2202, and amendments thereto, from acting within the scope of such officer's duties;

(2) prohibit a city or county from regulating the manner of openly carrying a loaded firearm on one's person; or in the immediate control of a person, not licensed under the personal and family protection act while on property open to the public; [THIS SECTION EXEMPTS PERMIT HOLDERS FROM LOCAL OPEN CARRY BANS]
(3) prohibit a city or county from regulating in any manner the carrying of any firearm in any jail, juvenile detention facility, prison, courthouse, courtroom or city hall; or [NO EXCEPTIONS HERE!]

(4) prohibit a city or county from adopting an ordinance, resolution or regulation requiring a firearm transported in any air, land or water vehicle to be unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the firearm or any less restrictive provision governing the transporting of firearms, provided such ordinance, resolution or regulation shall not apply to persons licensed under the personal and family protection act. [THIS SECTION EXCUSES PERMIT HOLDERS FROM LOCAL OPEN CARRY BANS]

(c) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section and subsection (a) of K.S.A. 2009 Supp. 75-7c11, and amendments thereto, no person shall be prosecuted or convicted of a violation of any ordinance, resolution or regulation of a city or county which regulates the storage or transportation of a firearm if such person (1) is storing or transporting the firearm without violating any provision of the Kansas criminal code or (2) is otherwise transporting the firearm in a lawful manner.

(d) No person shall be prosecuted under any ordinance, resolution or regulation for transporting a firearm in any air, land or water vehicle if the firearm is unloaded and encased in a container which completely encloses the firearm. [THIS EXCEPITON APPLIES TO EVERYONE RATHER THEY HAVE A PERMIT OR NOT]

History: L. 2005, ch. 141, § 10; L. 2007, ch. 166, § 1; May 3.

aadvark

imported post

The two posts above are the best that I could do.

It took me three hours to read Kansas Code pertaining to Firearms.

Reading KSA 12-16 124 and KSA 75-7c is all I know to do.

Please read KSA 12-16 124, as I have posted above.

I have underlinded and bolded and included in Italics the pertinant information that I included in mysecond to previous post.

riverrat10k

imported post

As the son of Kansans, and as a landowner near Burlington and Great Bend, I wish you folks the best in straightening out this mess. Agree, it is similar to VA before pre-emption. Good Luck!

aadvark

imported post

The matter is already straightend out, Open Carry is LEGAL!

That means ANY Firearm: Pistols, Revolvers, Handguns, Rifles, Shotguns, AK-47s, AR-15s, and either of the last two with Drum Magazines, Laser Sights,and Folding Stocks as well. (You get the idea..., but not that all of this is nessecary or pratical.)