• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC26 OC Video on Louisiana open carry - most people are "cool" with it

firefighter9158

imported post

In the video, he say's face charges like Dist. the Peace. You CAN NOT be charged with Dist. the peace for O/Cing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. DUMB F**K ! also TRESPASSING ? WRONG ! only if you were told to leave with your gun, and refused !!!

Seigi

imported post

backdraft522 wrote:
In the video, he say's face charges like Dist. the Peace. You CAN NOT be charged with Dist. the peace for O/Cing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. DUMB F**K ! also TRESPASSING ? WRONG ! only if you were told to leave with your gun, and refused !!!
He said that one could "face charges." I'm not convinced that he's wrong; he did not specify that one could legitimately or justifiably face charges (he added a "right or wrong" disclaimer to it), or that they'd lead to a conviction, or that the experience would not grant one a cause of action against the state and/or some of its employees, but simply that one might face them. Did he have time to go into the nuances of state law? Is the station interested in the potential liability that could result therefrom?

The only time he was wrong, so far as I noted, was when he said that it was the job of the police to detain open carriers; in the absence of reasonable suspicion it is not only not their job it is not within their authority. Still, all in all, this was a very nice story. The opening was supportive of us, and I take particular notice of the fact that he tested public opinion not by asking questions but by carrying a weapon himself and taping the results. How's that for normalizing? He advised people to give it thought before trying it, which I agree with, and he did so after showing this site. How were the site hits when that story aired?

I do believe emails of thanks are in order.

KBCraig

imported post

yale wrote:
The story is about OC but they ask about CC. :question:
Two Arkansas news stations did the same thing this past week. They had stories about OC, but seriously confused OC and CC during the stories and in their surveys.

tntorqu

imported post

backdraft522 wrote:
thank you for saying that. i knew that s**t was retarded.

turbodog

imported post

tntorqu wrote:
backdraft522 wrote:
thank you for saying that. i knew that s**t was retarded.
The reporter did preface that statement by saying "be ready, right or wrong" in regards to people calling the police and their response.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

I talked to the guy, he's alright.

He would have been inconsiderate not to warn people of the possibility of false arrest. I do it over and over again on my site.

Lighten up. Some of you guys come off like you would not be happy with a reporter unless he ripped of his coat during the interview to reveal a shirt that said "Shall Not Be Infringed" and yelled "Take that, Beotches!!"

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Louisiana Carry wrote:
Lighten up. Some of you guys come off like you would not be happy with a reporter unless he ripped of his coat during the interview to reveal a shirt that said "Shall Not Be Infringed" and yelled "Take that, Beotches!!"

Yeah, a lot of gun rights organizers are slowly learning that little gem - lighten up!

Angry white guys nearly lost this fight for us years ago - we win by being civil and calm - heck, you are already open carrying a gun, everybody knows where you are coming from and your actions speak loudly enough already.

In other words, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

Russf

imported post

ON THE REPORTER, MAYBE GIVE HIM A CALL OR E-MAIL HIM AND EDUCATE HIM A LITTLE MORE. lOOKS TO ME LIKE HE IS A BIG SUPPORTER OF 2A RIGHTS. REFER HIM TO OPENCARRY.ORG AFTER ALL WE ALL STILL NEED TO BE MORE INFORMED WHEN IT COMES TO OPEN CARRY. THAT IS WHY WE JOINED OPEN CARRY,TO BE BETTER INFORMED.THE BAD LEOS ARE OUT THERE. (SORRY ABOUT THE CAPITOL LETTERS, I HIT MY CAPS LOCK KEY AND DIDN'T CHANGE IT).

myjudge45410

imported post

I am a new guy to this forum, please explain the "cowboy" joke I fell for. It wouldn't be the first time I fell for something that seemed to good to be true. But thankfully non of them cost me anything but a little embarrassment. If I make a fool of myself again it is because I didn't try to find out what I said or did the first time to make a fool of myself.

okboomer

imported post

The way I look at it, is that the lamestream media is starting to ask questions about what all the hoorah is about. They are finding out that the regular joes and janes on the street are not hysterically scared of someone with a gun. Despite all the efforts of anti groups to program that mentality into the psyche of the American people.

myjudge45410

imported post

I just reread Statesman's post and saw that I had read his post wrong. I normally do a better job of reading. I see now that Statesman wrote "news guy", not new guys. My wife says I am disleksik (sp), I apologize to all on this thread for not reading as well as I should.

On another note, I received a response from Curt Sprange, here it is;

[align=left]thanks, milo. it's kinda interesting here because the tone of law enforcement agencies varies greatly from parish to parish. [/align] [align=left]i would never never never encourage anyone to open carry in orleans parish. could you? sure. but you'd need to be ready to lose your gun and perhaps even go to court to get it back. the nopd would simply say, hey, you might win the case, but we'll make it such a miserable experience that you never do it again. you can try to sue, but if you get a municipal judge, you'll be dealing with the same attitude.[/align] [align=left]the next parish over, jefferson parish, might be more lenient -- provided you looked like you knew your rights and were sane. still, be ready for a possible legal duel.[/align] [align=left]and the next parish north, st tammany, might even be receptive, depending upon your posture/conduct while open carrying.[/align] [align=left]my big fear was: somebody sees the story and decides that they'll open carry, and when police take their gun, they'd say, "tv dude said i could."[/align] [align=left]anyway, thank you for the note. please forward that link to anyone you think would be interested in the story. if we get a bunch of hits on our website, managment might be open to more, similar stories.[/align] [align=left]thanks again, [/align]curt sprang
[align=left][/align] [align=left]I may be a little ignorant but he does seem to be open to our rights as Americans.[/align]
[align=left]Milo H.[/align]