• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Live Scenario Workshop

lapeer20m

imported post

I would really like to set up a "workshop" with some live scenario's where oc'ers can practice wash rinse repeat while being hassled by an actor portraying a leo.

I am willing to put together the program, but i lack the needed space for a gathering.

Does anybody have a good private meeting place in genesee, lapeer, or oakland county? I don't want to meet in a public place like a restaurant, we need something more private. Someones house would be ok, or a meeting hall, or an office, etc.

I personally would like to participate in the roll playing. I think that practicing wash rinse repeat in a somewhat realistic scenario will help make it much easier to stick to the wash rinse repeat program during a real leo encounter.

Michigander

imported post

As I have said elsewhere, based on my own personal experiences, and watching those of others on tape, I do not believe this method holds up in real situations. It is too complicated, and it has failed many times. So I do not believe that a meeting based on it is worth doing.

I know I rant about it a lot, but I firmly believe that the ONLY question or statement that should ever be made to a hostile officer in an OC situation is "am I being detained?"

No means leave, yes or anything that might be a yes means call 911, or if you're like Lapeer and don't believe in that, perhaps call your lawyer, or even porcupine 411. Whatever you do, DON'T keep talking. Talking other than asking if you are being detained will open you up to verbally abusive intimidation tactics, and if you aren't experienced with this, they can play you like a piano. Wash rinse repeat falls under the false premise that you can talk your way out of a stop.

I am all for practicing, but truth be told, I don't know that it would do any good. A dedicated policy of clamming up when questioned by the cops is all you need. It is rough, being detained for 20 minutes or an hour while being screamed at and belittled, and having a great many rights trampled on. But all you need to do is keep quiet. Practicing this would basically constitute us standing around while screaming at each other like DI's. I can think of a lot more fun things that we can do together. Like going to the Pit, or cleaning up litter.

However, if anyone can think of a useful way to practice this, I would be willing to participate.

lapeer20m

imported post

i didn't think that wash, rinse, repeat was so controversial.

getting an abusive officer to admit that you are being detained for carrying a gun is powerful stuff. Having a recording of you not consenting to any searches or seizures is also important.

It keeps the officer from lying later on about why he stopped you, or saying that you consented to him searching you and running the numbers on your pistol.

Then stop talking

As an alternative, I will agree that not talking at all is also a good tactic with an abusive officer.

Michigander

imported post

In principle it's a good idea, but it's not like consent is implied if you don't give any.

Personally, I would be telling the 911 operator about how I am being stopped against my will, and how I don't consent to any of the actions. The cop doesn't need to know these things, because I've never seen it make a difference if the cop is detaining you. But in case it matters, he or she'd hear it anyway on when you are talking to 911.

I suppose I can see running through these things for practice doing some good, particularly for those who haven't experienced a stop before. But if we're going to do it, we should have no less than 2 MP's, DI's, or regular cops, current or retired to do the simulated stops.

jeremy05

imported post

I could do some workshops with you guys on the teamspeak, as far as lots of curveballs to see how you guys handle a LEO giving you a hard time.