• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

knife carry question with picture

scorpio_vette

imported post

so since the lawyer that i'm going to today told me i can't bring a firearm, i figured i'd carry my knife. he didn't say anything about that.

if i carry it on my leg with the belt through the loop and the string tied around my leg, would that be legal???

blackhunterd.jpg

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Knives are not addressed in state law (except insofar as when they might be a concealed weapon.) You'd have to check the local ordinances regarding legality. Some communities prohibit certain blade lengths, or design style (e.g. no double-edge blades.) Others have no local ordinance whatsoever pertaining to knives.

In light of the situation, I'd advise caution. The people you are dealing with are probably neither interested in nor impressed by your willingness to exercise your right to bear arms. On their property they can just as easily prohibit that knife as they can your gun.

Good luck!

Lurchiron

imported post

scorpio_vette wrote:
so since the lawyer that i'm going to today told me i can't bring a firearm, i figured i'd carry my knife. he didn't say anything about that.

if i carry it on my leg with the belt through the loop and the string tied around my leg, would that be legal???

blackhunterd.jpg
Don't forget to tie the red sweatband 'round your head, also;does that thing have matches inside of it?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Knives are not addressed in state law (except insofar as when they might be a concealed weapon.)
Thank you for the positive and falsifiable statement.

941.24 Possession of switchblade knife.
(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.
History: 1977 c. 173.
940.08 Homicide by negligent handling of dangerous weapon, explosives or fire.

(1) Whoever causes the death of another human being by the negligent operation or handling of a dangerous weapon, explosives or fire is guilty of a Class G felony.
(2) Whoever causes the death of an unborn child by the negligent operation or handling of a dangerous weapon, explosives or fire is guilty of a Class G felony. History: 1977 c. 173; 1985 a. 293; 1987 a. 399; 1997 a. 295; 2001 a. 109. Judicial Council Note, 1988: The definition of the offense is broadened to include highly negligent handling of fire, explosives and dangerous weapons in addition to firearm, airgun, knife or bow and arrow. See s. 939.22 (10). [Bill 191−S] The common law “year−and−a−day rule” that no homicide is committed unless the victim dies within a year and a day after the injury is inflicted is abrogated, with prospective application only. State v. Picotte, 2003 WI 42, 261 Wis. 2d 249, 661 N.W.2d 381, 01−3063.
134.71(1)(g)1

Without me looking any further, "knife" is mentioned in six criminal statutes.

I carry a folding knife that opens with a slight movement of my index finger.

hardballer

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Knives are not addressed in state law (except insofar as when they might be a concealed weapon.)
Thank you for the positive and falsifiable statement.

941.24 Possession of switchblade knife.
(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.
History: 1977 c. 173.
940.08 Homicide by negligent handling of dangerous weapon, explosives or fire.

(1) Whoever causes the death of another human being by the negligent operation or handling of a dangerous weapon, explosives or fire is guilty of a Class G felony.
(2) Whoever causes the death of an unborn child by the negligent operation or handling of a dangerous weapon, explosives or fire is guilty of a Class G felony. History: 1977 c. 173; 1985 a. 293; 1987 a. 399; 1997 a. 295; 2001 a. 109. Judicial Council Note, 1988: The definition of the offense is broadened to include highly negligent handling of fire, explosives and dangerous weapons in addition to firearm, airgun, knife or bow and arrow. See s. 939.22 (10). [Bill 191−S] The common law “year−and−a−day rule” that no homicide is committed unless the victim dies within a year and a day after the injury is inflicted is abrogated, with prospective application only. State v. Picotte, 2003 WI 42, 261 Wis. 2d 249, 661 N.W.2d 381, 01−3063.
134.71(1)(g)1

Without me looking any further, "knife" is mentioned in six criminal statutes.

I carry a folding knife that opens with a slight movement of my index finger.
Movement, Geez, My Buck knife requires "movement" What a load of crapola. Who writes these laws. That was totally rhetorical.

It requires "movement" to remove my hunting knife from it's sheath. This is the kind of lunacy we are up against in carrying any kind of weapon.

That being said, I'd just do what the nice lawyer says. Pick your battles. Fight the ones that will pay off.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Go for it, just loop it thru ur belt and stick it in your pocket with the handle sticking out, you may have to cut out the bottom of one of your pockets for that bad boy but once in place no one will be the wiser as to watcha got!:lol:I've got almost the same knife and Ido it all the time,you'll be fine.

Landose_theghost

imported post

hunter9mm wrote:
Now it's a concealed knife with a blade over 3" and it's time for Scorpio to go to jail if he gets caught.
Negative. So long as the handle is visible, you could carry a machete if you wanted. And not trying to be an @$$hole here, but WI law is 3 and a quarter inch if you want to conceal. Altho I never got why that would matter seeing as if I everhad to use my knife in a self defense situation, my 3 1/4 incher can slash arteries just as well as a bowie can. Damn crap laws IMO:banghead:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I'm glad I figured out a way to get Doug to do his homework. This had nothing to do with switchblades. The important and non-trivial issue was that he needed to consult local ordinances rather than state law.