• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting news article

goalseter88

imported post

Iread that article, and i figure if your mad enough at someone to stab them with a meat thermometer, your prob not going to hesitate to think if he has a CCW. Now if he was open carrying and he could see that he does that might be a different story.

Second if i was that person i don't know if i use a gun in a theater for that with it be so crowded u have to be real careful or your going to have some innocent ppl shot also.I think i prob grab my knife on that one.

For things like that i wish i wore boots more then shoes so i could carry a full size tactical knife in a sheath. since he was stabbed in his neck with the meat thermometer i take it the guy was prob sitting and the assailant prob was the one standing when he turn around to stab. So if i was standing i could of grabed my tactical knife just as fast as my gun or my pocket knife.

i know that he posted more to show ppl are fighting for CCW, but i just curious what others think about if you were in that situation. What you would of done. I been considering like i said earlier to start wearing boots so i can carry a tactical knife for things like that. Where yeah a gun prob be best, but in a dark crowded area i think i good enough with my knife to be confident enough to take on a meat thermo. Would you guys pull the gun and use it or would you take a bit more of a chance with a knife? while i think a gun yeah is a most threatening and might stop him but if he doesn't stop and you gotta use the weapon. You prob also have to take in that you might be a second delayed, b/c you gotta make sure your not shooting downward into the crowd. That second that you lose might make you better off with a knife where you don't have that issue of over penetration.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You can't make up this stuff... why a meat thermometer? Probably a felon on probation or parole and would violate if he had a knife or gun. Obviously still a hazard to society.

Would I have shot him or have even drawn my weapon? That is really hard to say. This is one of the reasons that I do not like going to the movies. On the rare occasions I go for my wife I am very cognizant of which theater we are in respective to the over all layout and where we are sitting.

The theater we usually visit is laid out such that the screens are on the outside wall of a block building. We try to sit near or at the very back. My thought is that if I had to defend us, if I am seated or drop to a knee and fire straight ahead or somewhat upward into a BG that a miss or through and through is going to over the heads of anyone in front of me and likely be caught by the screen/backing/block wall before penetrating anywhere it is going to hurt anyone unintentionally. Also, at the back (which is truly not, all things being equal, my preferred seating position in a theater) I don't have to worry about someone behind me so at least I have a pretty good chance of seeing it coming. However, if the threat came from the side you're hand to hand in most of the theaters as there would be another theater to the side.

Long and short is that I really don't want to have a problem in a movie theater. Horrible location for self-defense for many reasons.