Thread: LEO gun rules

Post imported post

I was wondering if anyone can lead me to the rules a LEO must follow while carrying a firearm? Apparently they aren't required to follow CPL regulations. Theydont loose the right to carryif caught drinking and driving while carrying their gun.

Post imported post

http://www.ci.mil.wi.us/LawEnforcementCodeof9154.htm

only thing i could find, and it's not a very good cite. Is there an article about a DWI cop that didn't get fired? Unfortunately it seems to be a more common occurrence just south of where i live, but the officers are always let go...in the 2 or so cases i can recall.

Post imported post

A lot of times the rules the officer must follow are controlled by his department. For example, a lot of department handbooks clearly state that off duty an officer must carry concealed and may not carry openly. That said, how the law may or may not be adjusted for them is another debate.

Post imported post

BreakingTheMold wrote:
    http://www.ci.mil.wi.us/LawEnforcementCodeof9154.htm

only thing i could find, and it's not a very good cite. Is there an article about a DWI cop that didn't get fired? Unfortunately it seems to be a more common occurrence just south of where i live, but the officers are always let go...in the 2 or so cases i can recall.
    Yes there was an article in the Traverse City Record-Eagle about a MSP officer Monica Bradford and it just made me think about what would happen to a CPL holder if this happended to them. I guess losing gun rights dont apply to LEO's.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Kinda makes one wonder which post she'll be transferred to next, doesn't it?springerdave.

Post imported post

springerdave wrote:
    Kinda makes one wonder which post she'll be transferred to next, doesn't it?springerdave.
    Seems like somebody didn't like her very much. Called in a drunk driving complaint as she was getting into her car.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

The report said she blew a .16, at that level it's easy to make enemies :shock:.springerdave.