View Poll Results: How did you learn of OC?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Google or similar search engine.

14 50.00%
  • Friend referred.

3 10.71%
  • A news article on television.

4 14.29%
  • A news article online or in print.

1 3.57%
  • OCed before learning of OCDO/MOC,inc.

2 7.14%
  • Were looking for an alternative to CC.

3 10.71%
  • Middle school when they first told you about RTKBA?

1 3.57%

Thread: How did you find out about OC?

Post imported post

I simply googled across it one day shortly after purchasing my first handgun.

I've wondered this for a long time. Especially since the influx of new people.

Post imported post

My google fu is so strong that I found this site and the other gun info I was looking for at the same time...

Post imported post

seen a parade thing in hastings,it was an OC rally.probably bout 2 years ago.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

There is no option for "T-shirt advertisement"!?!?!
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

I have always been of the opinion that OC was legal, but I am certain I would not have attempted it without this site. I think I first learned of oc.org at a Grand Rapids gun show.

Post imported post

i owned a bus with a jacuzzi inside (actually, 5 different buses, each with a jacuzzi inside) and on our skoolie.net forum the question about firearms inside an RV came up. This was late last summer. I did a google search for firearm laws in michigan. That's when i stumbled on ocdo. I have been around firearms all my life, and was 30 years old before i was informed (via this site) that openly carrying a pistol is legal.

I took hunters safety about 1993, and i still remember one of the instructors informing us that if a person were to transport a pistol unloaded cased in the trunk of their vehicle they would probably be arrested because every city had it's own pistol transport laws and it would be impossible to move a pistol around the state without violating at least a dozen local ordinances. I was prob 13 years old, i that was the one thing i remembered most about that class.

Now i know that was total BS as it was after 1990 and pre-emption would apply.

So i found ocdo around august 2009. Then i bought my first pistol, got my cpl,,,then bought my 2nd pistol, and my 3rd, and 4th.....and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (who will watch the watchmen?)

I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of posts should be construed as legal advice.

Post imported post

I was looking at laws in Michigan for self-defense on google.

And I stumbled across opencarry.org.

Aanndd so here I am?

-Richard-

Post imported post

Last edited by T Vance; 09-20-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Post imported post

I was told by a LEO in around 1986 that there was no law that prohibiting open carry.

Post imported post

I don't know when I learned of it, but don't ever recall not knowing OC was legal. One of those things that I've had to learn @ some point in life when I was young, just don't recall when it entered my brain.
    Rand Paul 2016

Banned

Post imported post

I was researching relevant laws and procedures for getting my CPL, and ran across it by accident. It could have been OCDO but Im not exactly sure. At first I heard about legal OC, I was like :shock:really! .Now I dont CC, ever.

Post imported post

I definitely was aware of it by middle school, which is why I selected that. I spent way, way too much of my youth studying guns.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I definitely was aware of it by middle school, which is why I selected that. I spent way, way too much of my youth studying guns.
    you and me both.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

I was looking for laws in Michigan for pistol/revolver carry on Google and I came across opencarry.org in March 2009. I had been a deer hunter for 9 years, had a few rifles, but had finally purchased a revolver for home protection in October 2008 (Ruger GP100). I decided that I wanted to carry, but had no information about how it could be done.

I OC'ed starting about 1 year ago now and have had my CPL for 7 months.

Carry On!
    Rights are like muscles. You must EXERCISE THEM to keep them from becoming atrophied.

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Post imported post

I seen it on the news, reporting on the OCmarch in Hastings and about choked on my dinner!

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Same here...way too much time studying guns and gun laws...
    Rand Paul 2016

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

I always knew it was legal but you might get jacked up. I learned more and researched more on OCDO. Then We had the "first" OC meet in Brighton Michigan with Mastiff69/wife and Michigander in Brighton in December of 2007. From there I learned more and decided to organize (with a few others) MOC, Inc. in 2009. Thanks to this site and the patriotic beliefs of people here we have managed to make a difference in fighting for OC and all personal rights.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

I saw a story on the news about the whole Starbucks thing, and saw a reference to OCDO, so I checked it out. That was about a week or so ago. After doing my research for the last week, I am right now on my way out the door to go to Target Sports to buy a Blackhawk serpa cqc for my G19!

You gotta love the 2nd Amendment!!

Post imported post

Google led to OCDO which led me here. Viola!

Post imported post

Crosspistols and I had been kicking this around for some time. We had discussed that there didn't seem to be anything prohibiting open carry in the laws we learned about through our separate CPL classes. Neither one of us had the nads to try it, though. One day, one of us (probably him) spotted a newpaper article on an open carry picnic in Burton??, with a reference to this site, and the rest, as they say, is history...

eta: that was the fourth "organized" picnic. June 14th, 2008. I learned of it the next day. See my join date??
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Assyria Township, Barry County, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

It appears we have a bunch of youngsters here. :-)

The poll does not have an option for me, so here's my story.

I first learned about OC when I was about 14, circa 1968, when I went on my first deer hunt in the UP with my father and uncles. In the middle of the week, everybody packed up and headed into town. I remember going into a bar/restaurant and seeing all manner of guns & knives; handguns on their hips and rifles leaning against the bar or across tables. In talking with my uncles I learned that OC was permitted in most places.

Skip forward to 1981 when I separated from the Army and returned home. I talked with a state trooper who related that it was still permitted to OC but there were some restrictions now on where you could.

Since 1994 I have OC'd many times on my own property but rarely considered carrying in the general public because of the stigma associated with it. Besides, I moved to the country to get away from people and rarely go anywhere. I am a loner and happy to be alone.

Almost two weeks ago, I googled "open carry" on a whim, quickly found this site and proceeded to do some heavy research on the matter until last Friday when I decided to join MOC, and sent in my membership dues. I believe in OC and think everybody should go armed. So, when and where I can, I plan to participate in gathering events and look forward to meeting some of you folks around Michigan.

Roy

"Open carry when I can, Concealed Carry when I must!"
    Roy Sprunger
    IT Support
    Michigan Open Carry, Inc.

Post imported post

Thank you for sharing!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

I'm glad i posted this. It's good too see the message is getting out in many ways!

Post imported post

anetsprungen wrote:
    It appears we have a bunch of youngsters here. :-)

The poll does not have an option for me, so here's my story.

I first learned about OC when I was about 14, circa 1968, when I went on my first deer hunt in the UP with my father and uncles. In the middle of the week, everybody packed up and headed into town. I remember going into a bar/restaurant and seeing all manner of guns & knives; handguns on their hips and rifles leaning against the bar or across tables. In talking with my uncles I learned that OC was permitted in most places.

Skip forward to 1981 when I separated from the Army and returned home. I talked with a state trooper who related that it was still permitted to OC but there were some restrictions now on where you could.

Since 1994 I have OC'd many times on my own property but rarely considered carrying in the general public because of the stigma associated with it. Besides, I moved to the country to get away from people and rarely go anywhere. I am a loner and happy to be alone.

Almost two weeks ago, I googled "open carry" on a whim, quickly found this site and proceeded to do some heavy research on the matter until last Friday when I decided to join MOC, and sent in my membership dues. I believe in OC and think everybody should go armed. So, when and where I can, I plan to participate in gathering events and look forward to meeting some of you folks around Michigan.

Roy

"Open carry when I can, Concealed Carry when I must!"

Barry Co? You Sheriff Dar Leaf (If I remember correctly) taught the law section of the last MOC inc. CPL class.

"Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless