• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrollton PD Sued for Civil Right Violations

44Brent

imported post

CARROLLTON, Texas - Police dashcam video is at the heart of a federal civil rights violation lawsuit. A man claims he was roughed up by officers while he was trying to conduct legitimate business in Carrollton. He was threatened again when he filed a public records request, according to his attorney.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/030910-carrollton-pd-sued-for-civil-right-violations

This story involes the black owner of a car dealership who possessed a CHL.

DocNTexas

imported post

After viewing the dash cam video I would have to agree that the officer overreacted. The only error the plaintiff did was getting out of the vehicle. The officers are naturally on guard when approaching a possible illegal situation, and one must admit that making the deal int the parking lot was suspicious, but the officerdefinitely overreacted.

Then to charge the victim of offenses at the original scene only after he pursues action against them for their improper actions, is clearly a case of retaliation and intimidation. I disagree that the color of his skin has a bearing but when suing lawyer fileeverything they can. I don't care what what color he is , the officer abused his right and the department really did when he tried to complain about the abuse.

Doc

Slidell Jim

imported post

DocNTexas wrote:
After viewing the dash cam video I would have to agree that the officer overreacted. The only error the plaintiff did was getting out of the vehicle. The officers are naturally on guard when approaching a possible illegal situation, and one must admit that making the deal int the parking lot was suspicious, but the officerdefinitely overreacted.

Then to charge the victim of offenses at the original scene only after he pursues action against them for their improper actions, is clearly a case of retaliation and intimidation. I disagree that the color of his skin has a bearing but when suing lawyer fileeverything they can. I don't care what what color he is , the officer abused his right and the department really did when he tried to complain about the abuse.

Doc
overreacted +1
retaliation +1
abuse +1
race is not issue +1

So lets see 1+1+1+1 = 2 cops in hot water, 1 lawsuit that will probably never see a courtroom (ie. settlement), and 1 department facing some serious credibility issues with the retaliation.

I love the part where the supervisor says "you might want to smooth things over out here when you release him" They already knew they were up a Brown Chite Creek. Anyone know if this video is on Youtube, I'd love to add it to my favorites, but I cant find it.

Deanimator

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
This story involves the black owner of a car dealership who possessed a CHL.
Does it really matter what color the gentleman is?
I'm from Chicago. In Chicago it ALWAYS matters.

It's yet to be determined if it was a motivation in the cops' actions. It's certainly not unprecedented.

4sooth

imported post

If he gets more than $15-20 thousand I would be surprised. If things really go his way the court will rule the officers have no immunity and he can sue them as individuals. Those monies have to be paid out of the officers own pockets--so it brings the effect of their actions down to a personal level.

codename_47

imported post

The money is never, ever paid from their personal pockets. It is paid through insurance. The individual cops never have to worry about their own actions, outside of punitive damages.

Deanimator

imported post

codename_47 wrote:
The money is never, ever paid from their personal pockets. It is paid through insurance. The individual cops never have to worry about their own actions, outside of punitive damages.
You're mistaken.

In Ohio and in Chicago at least, PUNITIVE damages are SOLELY the responsibility of the individual LEO. Ask Detective Alvin Weems of the Chicago PD. He shot an unarmed man in the face while standing under a bank of transit authority security cameras and lied about it. He's on the hook for some portion of the $12.5 million judgment that was assessed against him and Apartheid Chicago.

If I were the victim of this act of thuggery, I'd NEVER settle, ESPECIALLY against the LEOs who took part. Once I got my judgment against them, I'd show up with the sheriff and a moving van, just like the plaintiffs did when Tom Metzger was found liable for his role in the murder of an Ethiopian man murdered by skinheads at his instigation.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Forget bringing the "sheriff and a moving van" here in the Great State of Texas (sarcasm)...

Texas makes it real hard to go after someone and get their house/car/personal property as so much of it is EXEMPT from taking. And we don't have wage garnishment here, either. So if you go after most Texans -- low to moderate income people -- they don't have anything "in excess" you legally can get. Andno lawyers would probablyeven take your case because they know that, too.

Yes, people in TX can do you harm and get off scott-free...like the two bums who almost killed me when their 18-wheeler truck hit me. I won my civil suit against them -- no lawyer would take the case (I tried 3 but theylooked into it and dumped me, so I brought suit on my own)-- but the bumsrefuse to pay me. Gota lien on their houses but if they never sell their houses, I get nothing.

Yes, TX makes it real hard to get these sorry people...it happens every day here and you really can't do anything about it -- legally speaking (like taking matters in your own hands and beating the $$ out of the sorry bastards).

So much for "justice" in TX...MANY people here truly are "judgement proof."

-- John D.

Deanimator

imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
Forget bringing the "sheriff and a moving van" here in the Great State of Texas (sarcasm)...

Texas makes it real hard to go after someone and get their house/car/personal property as so much of it is EXEMPT from taking. And we don't have wage garnishment here, either. So if you go after most Texans -- low to moderate income people -- they don't have anything "in excess" you legally can get. Andno lawyers would probablyeven take your case because they know that, too.

Yes, people in TX can do you harm and get off scott-free...like the two bums who almost killed me when their 18-wheeler truck hit me. I won my civil suit against them -- no lawyer would take the case (I tried 3 but theylooked into it and dumped me, so I brought suit on my own)-- but the bumsrefuse to pay me. Gota lien on their houses but if they never sell their houses, I get nothing.

Yes, TX makes it real hard to get these sorry people...it happens every day here and you really can't do anything about it -- legally speaking (like taking matters in your own hands and beating the $$ out of the sorry bastards).

So much for "justice" in TX...MANY people here truly are "judgement proof."

-- John D.
If this incident happened as described, the cops involved need to do jail time. Of course being from Chicago, my expectation of cops going to jail for committing serious crimes, even violent crimes is low.