Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must a business post "No Firearms" if thay have a policy?

Post imported post

If an owner of a store tells you they do not allow firearms, do they legally have to post it outside the building?

Small Ma & Pa store tells me they "do not allow firearms ever."

There is nothing in writing... just the words of the owner...

Any help would be great,

Thanks!

Post imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

It might help a bit if you post your location, at least the state and a general sense of where you are located.

<----------------------HERE

No, they do not need to post a sign. They own the property in whichthey do business and can change the rules of entry at their will. Even though they are generally open to the public and 'accomodate' the public, carrying a firearm is not a protected class (i.e. sex, race, et al).

You might be polite enough to leave them some sort of brochure from your state (many sates have some sort of tri fold brochure on this forum) and explain your position, but then leave and take your business elsewhere. Although, I, and others generally CC when this is the case. You would be breaking no law unless they asked you to leave and you then stayed on the property violating a tresspass type law.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

krysis86 wrote:
    If an owner of a store tells you they do not allow firearms, do they legally have to post it outside the building?

Small Ma & Pa store tells me they "do not allow firearms ever."

There is nothing in writing... just the words of the owner...

Any help would be great,

Thanks!

Welcome to OCDO Krysis86. Please add your location.

Go to My Account and then Profile. The laws pertaining to your question can differ from state to state. In Michigan, for example,store owners or their agents are not required by law to post signs. They can ask you to leave at any time.

Post imported post

Is there an RCW pertaining to the issue? If there is a sign posted, you do not have to obey it, but if asked to leave you must?

Also, are there no legal repercussions for entering a store that has a no guns sign?

Thanks,

David

Banned

Post imported post

Does the possession of a gun during trespass aggravate the charge?

Banned

Post imported post

Thanks. You seem quite knowledgeable. Are you a Navy lawyer?

Post imported post

It's just a hobby for a lot of us.

Some moreso than others.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    krysis86 wrote:
    Is there an RCW pertaining to the issue? If there is a sign posted, you do not have to obey it, but if asked to leave you must?

Also, are there no legal repercussions for entering a store that has a no guns sign?

Thanks,

David
    There are no legal repercussions for entering a store that has a no guns sign. There is no method specified in the RCW's for a "no firearms" notification.

Once an employee of the company asks you to leave, they have removed their permission they have granted to you to remain on the property under their control, and if you remain on their property with their permission, you are guilty of:

RCW 9A.52.070
    Criminal trespass in the first degree.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.
    I have seen it posted on some different threads on Wal Mart that only a manager not just an "employee" must ask you to leave. Anyone know if that's true?
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Banned

Post imported post

SavageOne wrote:
    NavyLT wrote:
    krysis86 wrote:

Thanks,

David
    There are no legal repercussions for entering a store that has a no guns sign. There is no method specified in the RCW's for a "no firearms" notification.

Once an employee of the company asks you to leave, they have removed their permission they have granted to you to remain on the property under their control, and if you remain on their property with their permission, you are guilty of:

RCW 9A.52.070
    Criminal trespass in the first degree.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the first degree if he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Criminal trespass in the first degree is a gross misdemeanor.
    I have seen it posted on some different threads on Wal Mart that only a manager not just an "employee" must ask you to leave. Anyone know if that's true?
    Not knowing your specific law for your specific jurisdiction, I would just offer how I'd handle the situation. If any employee asked me to leave, I'd get off the property as promptly as possible. Later, I'd call the manager and verify the policy. If he does not have a policy against OC, he should take the cue and train all of his employees.

It's folks who don't show a little discretion who end up (possibly unlawfully) at odds with the law.

Banned
    across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Not knowing your specific law for your specific jurisdiction, I would just offer how I'd handle the situation. If any employee asked me to leave, I'd get off the property as promptly as possible. Later, I'd call the manager and verify the policy. If he does not have a policy against OC, he should take the cue and train all of his employees.
    Depending on the jurisdiction - always - only the proprietor or his agent may make trespass notice. That excludes clerks and non-management.

Banned

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Master Doug Huffman wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Depending on the jurisdiction - always - only the proprietor or his agent may make trespass notice. That excludes clerks and non-management.
    However, it is basically impossible to know how much authority to act as an agent management has given their employees. For example the standard employee may be acting as an agent of management, with authority, to sign for deliveries, to issue refunds and/or to refuse service.

Personally, I don't think when being asked to leave the premises by an employee of a company is the proper to time to argue whether or not that employee has authority to make that request, especially if LEO is present. If LEO is there, who is going to have MORE control over that property, the person getting paid by that company or Joe Schmoe off the street?
    Wisdom.

Post imported post

SavageOne wrote:
    I have seen it posted on some different threads on Wal Mart that only a manager
    not just an "employee" must ask you to leave. Anyone know if that's true?
    Since the Evil Empire has a corporate policy of allowing self-defense (aka the carry of
    firearms for personal protection), no employee of WM should ever ask you to leave unless
    you're doing something wrong. If they do ask, I'd wait for a copy of the policy (nonexistant),
    and the name / phone for the regional manager, then leave. Call the regional manager&
    have a chat. Or ask the employee to have their manager call the regional office to check
    on corporate policy, rather than losing a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Post imported post

MKEgal wrote:
    Since the Evil Empire has a corporate policy of allowing self-defense (aka the carry of firearms for personal protection), no employee of WM should ever ask you to leave unless you're doing something wrong. If they do ask, I'd wait for a copy of the policy (nonexistant), and the name / phone for the regional manager, then leave. Call the regional manager& have a chat. Or ask the employee to have their manager call the regional office to check on corporate policy, rather than losing a customer.
    Except Wally World has said managers can override their non-existent policy.

Basically, they are trying to have it both way.
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.

Post imported post

AbNo wrote:
    MKEgal wrote:
    Since the Evil Empire has a corporate policy of allowing self-defense (aka the carry of firearms for personal protection), no employee of WM should ever ask you to leave unless you're doing something wrong. If they do ask, I'd wait for a copy of the policy (nonexistant), and the name / phone for the regional manager, then leave. Call the regional manager& have a chat. Or ask the employee to have their manager call the regional office to check on corporate policy, rather than losing a customer.
    Except Wally World has said managers can override their non-existent policy.

Basically, they are trying to have it both way.
    That is what I've heard. Corp. says "we follow local and state laws" but then say that managers have the right to ask anyone to leave for any reason.
    AUDE VIDE TACE

Post imported post

In the state of Kansas they MUST post a 6 inch sign the gun with the circle around it like the "no parking" signs
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

KansasMustang wrote:
    In the state of Kansas they MUST post a 6 inch sign the gun with the circle around it like the "no parking" signs
    I'm surprised that's not the rule/law every where. It sure would stop all the problems of trying to OC/CC legally in a business/store only to have a member of management approach you asking you to leave because supposedly it's not permitted by the company.

Post imported post

I would assume this to be generally true everywhere. In Oregon, according to the Lane County Sheriffs office, A business must place a sign on the door to the establishment to restrict carry. BUT that does not restrict the owner from verbally informing you of his policy and asking you to leave. If you do not leave you will be trespassing.

Post imported post

As I understand tresspassing laws, for you to be in violation and charged with tresspassing you must be notified. Once you have been notified then you must leave. If you have been notified in advance then you are tresspassing if you enter.

Notification can take several forms. One you can be notified by law. There are many places that are off limits by law. In SC hunting on private property without permission is tresspassing and you can be charged without any other warning.

You can be asked by the person with control of the property to leave. In this case you must leave or may be charged with tresspassing. Here there is no advanced notice such as the store that is off-limits but they do not have signs. Once notified and from then on (such as the next day) you will be tresspassing if you enter.

Advance notice can also be given by posting signs. The store that has a sign out front or property that has signs posting notice are off-limits and you can immediately be charged with tresspassing. In SC the law states the requirement of no weapons for businesses and for advanced notice to be given then the signs must meet the requirements. If the signs do not meet the requirements then they do not provide the advanced notice just as if they were not there.

In most states carrying into a place that is off-limits is considered at least some form of tresspassing and generally meets the same requirements but not is all cases so know your local law.

Post imported post

Like I said "in Oregon"

Post imported post

Nothing says "rob me" more clearly than a 6 inch sign the gun with the circle around it like the "no parking" signs.

McX

Post imported post

so, if they allow guns, they need to put up a pic of a gun with a smiley face on it?

Post imported post

I don't know about Washington state but, here in Colorado a business that wishes not to allow openly carried firearms into their establishment MUST post a sign specifically stating such a ban. They can ask you to leave but you legally do not need to vacate, although I would, only to give us a better public image. I would though inform the owner/manager of the requirement of posting a sign at all public entrances if they wish to ban firearms from their premises, which they do have the legal right to do so.

Post imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
    I don't know about Washington state but, here in Colorado a business that wishes not to allow openly carried firearms into their establishment MUST post a sign specifically stating such a ban. They can ask you to leave but you legally do not need to vacate, although I would, only to give us a better public image. I would though inform the owner/manager of the requirement of posting a sign at all public entrances if they wish to ban firearms from their premises, which they do have the legal right to do so.
    Cite?
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Here is the link for questions and answers concerning Colorado gun laws.

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#General

Again I do not know about Washington states gun laws but I believe if you run an internet search on "Washington state gun/firearms laws" you will find the answers you need.

Post imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
    Here is the link for questions and answers concerning Colorado gun laws.

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#General

Again I do not know about Washington states gun laws but I believe if you run an internet search on "Washington state gun/firearms laws" you will find the answers you need.
    I see nothing that states how a private business MUST post a sign.

I a familar with our gun laws in Washington, but signs have no legal weight. I private business may ask you to leave and you must or it becomes trespassing.
    Live Free or Die!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast