• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Must a business post "No Firearms" if thay have a policy?

M

McX

imported post

so, if they allow guns, they need to put up a pic of a gun with a smiley face on it?:)

OCinColorado

imported post

I don't know about Washington state but, here in Colorado a business that wishes not to allow openly carried firearms into their establishment MUST post a sign specifically stating such a ban. They can ask you to leave but you legally do not need to vacate, although I would, only to give us a better public image. I would though inform the owner/manager of the requirement of posting a sign at all public entrances if they wish to ban firearms from their premises, which they do have the legal right to do so.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
I don't know about Washington state but, here in Colorado a business that wishes not to allow openly carried firearms into their establishment MUST post a sign specifically stating such a ban. They can ask you to leave but you legally do not need to vacate, although I would, only to give us a better public image. I would though inform the owner/manager of the requirement of posting a sign at all public entrances if they wish to ban firearms from their premises, which they do have the legal right to do so.
Cite?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
Here is the link for questions and answers concerning Colorado gun laws.

http://www.rmgo.org/faq/#General

Again I do not know about Washington states gun laws but I believe if you run an internet search on "Washington state gun/firearms laws" you will find the answers you need.

I see nothing that states how a private business MUST post a sign.

I a familar with our gun laws in Washington, but signs have no legal weight. I private business may ask you to leave and you must or it becomes trespassing.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
This is copied directly from above mentioned link for Colorado Gun Laws

Must open carry bans be posted? YES.
CRS 29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

Wrong!

[align=justify]http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpex...3e560e4d.76343909.0.0&q=[Group '29-11.7-104']

[align=justify]This is a requirement of local government NOT for private business.
[/align]

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OCinColorado wrote:
OK, I stand corrected! EXCUSE ME!:banghead:
Sorry, not trying to be difficult. But it would be helpful to others in CO that if it is the case they can read the actual law and not take our work for it. If CO has no law for requiring signage (like Washington) then they can ask you to leave and if you don't then trespassing comes into play.