• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hidden GEM in the VCDL Alert

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

The last VCDL Alert had 42 itmes!! This hidden gem stood out to me..

{snip}

Meanwhile, please support our efforts by donating what you can. We
have a great special deal for everyone - Front Sight Firearm Training
Institute donated limited number of certificates that are good for any
one of their six classes -- at an amazing price of $199! That's a
fraction of their actual value of $2,000. (* they are only valid for
first time training at Front Sight. Not valid for returning
students.) To purchase certificates, please visit our store at
http://tinyurl.com/yacvlbd

{snip}

4 day defensive handgun course for first time students (normally $2000.00 for $199!)

wow.. anybody been? or going to go?

ThunderRanch

imported post

Never been, but heard good and bad things. The training is supposedly top notch, but the founder of Front Sight is in to Scientology and, from what the rumors are, will ram that down your throat as well.

If you can handle that, then it sounds like it's a great deal!

gis

imported post

ed wrote:

{snip}

{snip}

4 day defensive handgun course for first time students (normally $2000.00 for $199!)

Ed,

Actually I saw this in the alert, and it made me laugh. I will never again under any circumstances go to Front Sight. I feel that I am allowed to comment, since I have been to many dozens of training schools in several countries over the past 25 years. I suppose that any training is better than no training, but Front Sight is at the bottom of my list. They are all about marketing, their instructors are barely competent, and many people they attract seem to want to party in Vegas at night and "train" in the daytime. There has got to be a reason why no self-respecting training school other than Front Sight has these promotions. I guess, giving away a free XD didn't work. I suppose that if one wants bragging rights to having attended a"tier 1" training school, $199 is worth that, but not much else. In my opinion, "you get what you pay for" applies here.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

gis wrote:
ed wrote:

{snip}

{snip}

Ed,

Actually I saw this in the alert, and it made me laugh. I will never again under any circumstances go to Front Sight. I feel that I am allowed to comment, since I have been to many dozens of training schools in several countries over the past 25 years. I suppose that any training is better than no training, but Front Sight is at the bottom of my list. They are all about marketing, their instructors are barely competent, and many people they attract seem to want to party in Vegas at night and "train" in the daytime. There has got to be a reason why no self-respecting training school other than Front Sight has these promotions. I guess, giving away a free XD didn't work. I suppose that if one wants bragging rights to having attended a"tier 1" training school, $199 is worth that, but not much else. In my opinion, "you get what you pay for" applies here.
:). Thats why I asked.

gis

imported post

ed wrote:
gis wrote:
ed wrote:

{snip}

{snip}

Ed,

If you want to go to a good serious shooting school within driving distance ata reasonable price, try Tactical Defense Institute inWest Union,Ohio (about 8 hours from NOVA). John Benner is a good friend of mine. They come from LE backgrounds and focus on civilian training. Storm Mountain in West Virginia is also a very good place within 3 hours from NOVA. These guys are former military, top notch, but sometimes a bit over the top for some civilian students. Another place I recommend is Tactical Response (Yager's place) in Tennessee. They are between Nashville and Memphis, so a bit longer drive. If you want to go out west, there is the new Thunder Ranch in Lakeview Oregon. Clint is also a long time friend, but he seems to be winding the volumedown, so plan far ahead. Gunsight in Arizona is another great school, but I have been out of touch with them for the past 10 years, so I can't speak to what's happening there now. Lastly, while they don't have own schools,classesby Gabe Suarez and Rob Pincus are worth attending. I know them both well. They don't like each other very much, but each is a great instructor in his own right.

Marco

imported post

ThunderRanch wrote: snip
the founder of Front Sight is in to Scientology and, from what the rumors are, will ram that down your throat as well.

It's been awhile but I've been to FS a number of times and never experienced that.

Gis, agreed about there being better schools.
Didn'thave any party animals when I attended, most of the attendees were locals.

~Marco

doug23838

imported post

I thought FS was in receivership. Seem to recall that from last year. ...

Training can't be beat down in Moyock.

doug23838

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
+1 Now if they could just open a decent restaurant in Moyock, life would be complete. :)

I think there's a Sonic. what do you need ??

Let's go take the EP class and I'll buy you dinner. ... at Sonic.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

doug23838 wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
doug23838 wrote:
+1 Now if they could just open a decent restaurant in Moyock, life would be complete. :)

I think there's a Sonic. what do you need ??

Let's go take the EP class and I'll buy you dinner. ... at Sonic.

Quite the generous fella, you are!

vtme_grad98

imported post

doug23838 wrote:

That doesn't really match up with what I typically hear about Blackwater. My understanding is that their facilities can't be beat. But their training is kind of like buying an HK or Sig. They're good, but they come with a 20% hype tax embedded in the cost.

I know a few people that compete on various levels, and have been to a number of schools, including Blackwater. When asked, they tend to recommend Gunsite, Yavapai Firearms Academy (former rangemaster at Gunsite runs this one), or Insights Training (http://www.insightstraining.com). Yavapai is a mobile school, and I'm considering trying out their Stage I Handgun class when it hits Durham, NC in May.

gis

imported post

vtme_grad98 wrote:
doug23838 wrote:

That doesn't really match up with what I typically hear about Blackwater. My understanding is that their facilities can't be beat. But their training is kind of like buying an HK or Sig. They're good, but they come with a 20% hype tax embedded in the cost.

I know a few people that compete on various levels, and have been to a number of schools, including Blackwater. When asked, they tend to recommend Gunsite, Yavapai Firearms Academy (former rangemaster at Gunsite runs this one), or Insights Training (http://www.insightstraining.com). Yavapai is a mobile school, and I'm considering trying out their Stage I Handgun class when it hits Durham, NC in May.
Agree with you on Blackwater. Their training is competent, but their attitude of "best thing since sliced bread" bugs the hell out of me. Be careful with Yavapai. They usually do good stuff. However, it's the instructor which differentiates good from great. All depends who is teaching. For individual instructors, not established schools, Suarez, Pincus, Hackathorn, and Southnarc (forget his real name) can't be beat.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I picked up one of their 9-12 lifetime memberships for $456. One of the marine officers on our shooting team has been and raved about it. I'll be going to the four day defensive handgun course on 26 March, I'll post up my thoughts afterwards.

RPW

imported post

My wife and I picked up their "9/12 lifetime membership" also, figuring one trip would justify the price. We're looking to schedule a trin in May or September. Reverand73, Please do post your thoughts here in VA.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I like Insights. I've been impressed. I've only attended their unarmed self-defense class, but spouse has attended handgun training.

Additionally, Insights will bring the training to you if you get the people together and can find an appropriate location.

KBCraig

imported post

I haven't been to any of these schools, but I do have to laugh at Front Sight's marketing hype, starting with every reference to their founder as "Dr. Ignatius Piazza".

I mean, c'mon: the guy is a chiropractor by training. Not to disparage DCs (I use an old back-cracker myself on occasion), but it's got diddly squat to do with firearms or firearms training.

Front Sight's ads remind me of that gal hawking pheromones. Dr. Winifred Butler, something like that?

richarcm

imported post

ed wrote:
gis wrote:
ed wrote:

{snip}

{snip}

Ed,

Front Sight charges $2000 for these certificates. You get what you pay for would suggest that you get good training. The $199 price tag is only what will be going to help fund the Second Amendment March in DC. If you prefer not to go to Front Sight you are more than welcome to just write a check to Second Amendment March.

I have two of these certificates in my possession that I need to sell. I live in NOVA. If anyone would like to purchase either one or both of them for $199/ea.....message me or email me at crichardson@secondamendmentmarch.com

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I just completed the 4 Day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight just hours ago. I can without a doubt tell you my gun handling and tactics have improved substantially.

The training I received is top notch in my opinion. Very professional, very easy to understand and implement. I went with an open mind and actually changed the way I do a few things because quite simply, their way works well for me.

There are reviews on other websights that give the day to day breakdown of the course schedule, so I am not going to go into that.

I've got some videos I'll post up a little later that should give you a feel for what you can expect.

I can now go from a concealed, holstered position to two controlled pairs to the thoracic cavity, or a single shot to the cranial ocular cavity in less than 1.5 seconds from 7 yards. They also teach methods to clear most any gun malfunction, properly do a tactical reload, room clearing, low light shooting with flashlight, and lots of safety training.

They do teach the Weaver stance and ask you to at least try in for a day before you revert to whatever stance you use. I'm not real sure what shooting stance I used to use, but for me, the Weaver works well.

They have no issues with you using a Blackhawk Serpa holter. In fact some of the instructors even use them. Our head instructor even promoted open carry, said he did it nearly every day. My jaw nearly dropped when I heard that. Awesome. That brought up lots of questions on open carry and the instructor did a pretty good job answering those questions.

A couple reviews on Front Sight have said they are bankrupt, or in recievership, or use high pressure sales tactics, or try to get you to become a Scientologist, etc. If they are bankrupt, I couldn't tell. There were over 400 students there this past weekend, and the facilities were well taken care of. During lunch they showed the Front Sight promotional video that promotes their memberships, but it was not required to watch it and wasn't part of any of the lectures. Wasn't very high pressure to me FWIW. I never heard any mention of Scientology. Everything I experienced was professional.

richarcm

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
I just completed the 4 Day Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight just hours ago. I can without a doubt tell you my gun handling and tactics have improved substantially.

The training I received is top notch in my opinion. Very professional, very easy to understand and implement. I went with an open mind and actually changed the way I do a few things because quite simply, their way works well for me.

There are reviews on other websights that give the day to day breakdown of the course schedule, so I am not going to go into that.

I've got some videos I'll post up a little later that should give you a feel for what you can expect.

I can now go from a concealed, holstered position to two controlled pairs to the thoracic cavity, or a single shot to the cranial ocular cavity in less than 1.5 seconds from 7 yards. They also teach methods to clear most any gun malfunction, properly do a tactical reload, room clearing, low light shooting with flashlight, and lots of safety training.

They do teach the Weaver stance and ask you to at least try in for a day before you revert to whatever stance you use. I'm not real sure what shooting stance I used to use, but for me, the Weaver works well.

They have no issues with you using a Blackhawk Serpa holter. In fact some of the instructors even use them. Our head instructor even promoted open carry, said he did it nearly every day. My jaw nearly dropped when I heard that. Awesome. That brought up lots of questions on open carry and the instructor did a pretty good job answering those questions.

A couple reviews on Front Sight have said they are bankrupt, or in recievership, or use high pressure sales tactics, or try to get you to become a Scientologist, etc. If they are bankrupt, I couldn't tell. There were over 400 students there this past weekend, and the facilities were well taken care of. During lunch they showed the Front Sight promotional video that promotes their memberships, but it was not required to watch it and wasn't part of any of the lectures. Wasn't very high pressure to me FWIW. I never heard any mention of Scientology. Everything I experienced was professional.
The naysayers are not going to like this AT ALL. :lol: