Thread: Off duty LEO leaves service pistol in bar

Post imported post

This happened 3 days before I (a law abiding responsible citizen) was asked to return my openly carried pistol to my vehicle while in The Venue, a bar in Standale.

I really am at a loss for words.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...ce_gun_le.html

Post imported post

I'll refrain from comment on the rest of the story, but for what it's worth I'm pretty sure GRPD duty side-arms are .40SW Sigs...not 9mm as the article states.

Post imported post

and open carriers are thought to be the problem??
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    and open carriers are thought to be the problem??
    Of course, don't you know you should be trained to handle firearms like the police are... oh wait

Post imported post

honestly i see civilians,both CCers OCers and just owners at the range far more often than LEO's
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    honestly i see citizens,both CCers OCers and just owners at the range far more often than LEO's
    Fixed it for you.

Post imported post

just another example of how police officers are viewed as above the law.

What if we forgot a pistol in a bar and someone fired it?

prison?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Obviously, the woman thought the gun was complimentary, provided by the establishment for any gentleman who happened to have left his at home.

She was probably a bit peeved that complimentary guns were not provided to the ladies, too. And decided to take it out on the beer cooler.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Regular Member American Boy With a Gun's Avatar

Post imported post

for some Strange reason i cant figure out why this doesn't surprise me...hmmm...i wish i could leave a LOADED firearm in the bathroom of a BAR....and then get to sit at home....STILL BEING PAID...
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." -- Samuel Adams, 1776

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject

Post imported post

Leaving the whole legality of the issue aside, I would like to point out what a pain in the butt it is to go to the bathroom with a holster on your belt or attached to you pants. Are shoulder holsters the answer here?

Post imported post

xraygil1 wrote:
    Leaving the whole legality of the issue aside, I would like to point out what a pain in the butt it is to go to the bathroom with a holster on your belt or attached to you pants. Are shoulder holsters the answer here?
    I oc all day, every day, it doesn't take long to get used to it.

As far as the woman that found it, how high do you think the percentage is, of citizens that check to see if a gun is real (or loaded)by just pulling the trigger.

Sad, very sad.

Post imported post

SIGfreed wrote:
    xraygil1 wrote:
    I oc all day, every day, it doesn't take long to get used to it.

As far as the woman that found it, how high do you think the percentage is, of citizens that check to see if a gun is real (or loaded)by just pulling the trigger.

Sad, very sad.
    Ignorance and alcohol, can apparently lead a women to the mens restroom. Which It seems i'm the only one that finds that odd. I know MSP carries SIG, not sure on what GRPD carries. That's an interesting thing to look up.

Similar to the situation with the trigger being pulled, perhaps it was just assumed to be a 9mm by a 1am drunkard firearms expert.

MI says if your responsible for your firearms fired out of negligence, IE left loaded in your home. I wonder who's going to pay for the cooler/who would have gone to jail....Both IMO is a suitable answer for both questions.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    honestly i see civilians,both CCers OCers and just owners at the range far more often than LEO's
    LEOs goto their own ranges.
    Freedom isn't free, but this is America! We will find a way to outsource it and save some money - Jeremy

Post imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
    lil_freak_66 wrote:
    LEOs goto their own ranges.
    Not down here. The township got their range shut down and now they shoot at my club.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

xraygil1 wrote:
    In a sit down position, my uncle, a state trooper told me what you do is remove the handgun from the holster (because someone could grab it from the next stall) and place it in your underwear (if you wear underwear and all good troopers do!). When you are ready to stand up re-holster...if you forget, the handgun falls on the floor and reminds you that your are an idiot for forgetting it.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    xraygil1 wrote:
    In a sit down position, my uncle, a state trooper told me what you do is remove the handgun from the holster (because someone could grab it from the next stall) and place it in your underwear (if you wear underwear and all good troopers do!). When you are ready to stand up re-holster...if you forget, the handgun falls on the floor and reminds you that your are an idiot for forgetting it.
    Yep, this is what I've always done. Just put the gun in the crotch of your pants while they're around your ankles. Impossible to forget it that way, and readily accessible in case the toilet paper thief barges in.

Post imported post

after 32 years of carry I can't remember ever leaving a weapon anywhere. But I don't drink and so I can only guess if he was drinking there might in lie the problem....

Drinming while in possesion of a weapon isn't the smartest act a cop can do.

On that Mlive site somone commented that cops don't get drunk and shoot people? BULL$HIT! Detroit city of Has had numerous domestics involving cops who killed wivesor shot others Since Mayor Colejoke A. Young was the dick tater in cheif. Many of those shootings involved alcohol.
    I love how idiots defend with not a shred of common sense.

I know some cops who will have a beer and they do it at home gun put away and not touched.
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.