• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SW Washington Extremist Harasses Starbucks

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/10/vancouver-woman-protests-starbucks-gun-policy-loca/#c21669

Vancouver woman protests Starbucks gun policy locally

By Laura McVicker
Columbian staff writer

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vancouver, WA — A Vancouver woman will make the rounds today at Starbucks coffee shops with a letter to managers imploring them to establish a gun-free policy.

Heidi Yewman, president of the Vancouver Million Mom March Chapter, will go to Starbucks coffee shops at 304 W. Eighth St., 2420 Main St., 7720 N.E. Highway 99 and 1900 N.E. 162nd Ave.

Her letter will come in response to gatherings of armed gun extremists who have recently walked into Starbucks and other businesses to test state laws that allow gun owners to carry weapons openly in public places. Gun control advocates statewide, like Yewman, have protested.

Earlier this month, petitions signed by an estimated 28,000 people were delivered to the Starbucks headquarters in Seattle, asking them to adopt a gun-free policy with an exception for uniformed police officers.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My comment:

Ms. McVicker,

There are no 'armed gun extremists', why do we use such words, they simply show your social bigotry towards law abiding citizens. Perhaps your hoplophopia is so irrational that you can not write an unbiased and objective news brief, which is what citizens of Vancouver expect when they read the Columbian. Those of us that are armed are simply going to Starbucks for a cup of coffee. While irrational and anti rights extremists like Ms. Yewman are harassing business that are complying with the law.

gogodawgs[/b] — March 10, 2010 at 1:34 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

acmariner99

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
My comment:

Ms. McVicker,

There are no 'armed gun extremists', why do we use such words, they simply show your social bigotry towards law abiding citizens. Perhaps your hoplophopia is so irrational that you can not write an unbiased and objective news brief, which is what citizens of Vancouver expect when they read the Columbian. Those of us that are armed are simply going to Starbucks for a cup of coffee. While irrational and anti rights extremists like Ms. Yewman are harassing business that are complying with the law.

gogodawgs — March 10, 2010 at 1:34 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )
Here Here!

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yep, you guys are right that the word 'extremist' sounds over the top. That phrasing was used in the press release. I changed it. Thanks. --Laura McVicker

lmcvicker[/b] (Columbian Staff) — March 10, 2010 at 1:48 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )
Ms. McVicker corrected her error. Admits to using the anti's press release instead of her objective skills to convey the news brief.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Hmm... they seem to have changed it.

I wonder why...

Tomorrows paper....

'Armed extremists harass local paper into changing story'

:banghead:

Gilead_Gunslinger

mid-world (somewhere between tacoma and seattle)
imported post

I wish one of these people would answer me this... when did peacefully exercising

my rights become "testing state laws"???? I think I've seen this phrase use a few

times. and if this is the threshold for that sort ofthinking , can we not also say that hiedi

yewman is "testing state laws"to her rightof free speech by 'imploring' starbucks to

establish agun free policy?

heresolong

imported post

Another example of why politely contacting or replying to an apparent opponent works. In this case she realized her error and made the change. An attack would have just put her on the defensive. Just saying.

Too bad some people felt the need to call her names. She certainly won't have a better opinion of gun owners after those people chimed in.

erps

imported post

Another example of why politely contacting or replying to an apparent opponent works. In this case she realized her error and made the change. An attack would have just put her on the defensive.
Good on the reporter for changing the language. Maybe she'll change the "testing state gun laws" language too.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I'd only call it testing state laws if you were trying to get as close to breaking it as possible without technically breaking it. Or entering a gray area and claiming legality.

It's very clear in the RCW that there's nothing prohibiting open carry. It's not a gray area.

Pavegunner

imported post

The Columbian newspaper is a huge liberal paper in Clark County...which is why it is going bankrupt very quickly.

PoppaGary

imported post

Good job, gogodawgs, but it is unfortunate that the people at the Columbian don't learn or really listen to our feedback.

I left a message for the Business Editor, Elisa Williams, a few weeks back on the Starbucks issue. They had a small blurb, similar to this one, in the business section regarding the anti-gun protests at Starbucks Corp office and used the very exact phrase and also indicated that WE started the brew-ha-ha (pun intended).

I told her it was a none issue UNTIL the anti-gun groups started protesting and we were NOT armed gun extremists, merely ordinary citizens going about our daily lives exercising our rights...same as she.

I guess my mistake was not following up with another call or an email; I know I didn't get any kind of response.

Gary

sudden valley gunner

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
I'd only call it testing state laws if you were trying to get as close to breaking it as possible without technically breaking it. Or entering a gray area and claiming legality.

It's very clear in the RCW that there's nothing prohibiting open carry. It's not a gray area.
Personally I still don't think that is testing it. If you are within the boundaries of the law you are "testing" nothing.

Might have to educate those who enforce laws though.

I also think that many Judicial officials are looking at gray areas wrong, they are supposed to give the "offender" the benefit of the doubt when it happens in a gray area.

But as we know this just doesn't seem to happen as much as we like. I know someone who went through this with helmet laws. Ahem, ahem (darn no look above face)

.45ACPaddy

imported post

I was pointing more to the gray areas, shoulda written it a bit more clearly.

If you enter a gray area where something might be prohibited by law, but it might be legal, don't be surprised if a judge rules against you. Fortunately our firearms are pretty well defined.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
I was pointing more to the gray areas, shoulda written it a bit more clearly.

If you enter a gray area where something might be prohibited by law, but it might be legal, don't be surprised if a judge rules against you. Fortunately our firearms are pretty well defined.
You are correct. That is why I am trying to get clarity on legal outdoor activity, the opinions range vary greatly on this, some think it only applies to long guns for those "under age" I and others read it differently.

Personally, if its gray they shouldn't be able to arrest or prosecute. I feel they should only be able to do this if it is clearly illegal.