• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting day of OC on the South Side of Pittsburgh

Prophet

imported post

So, I had just finished up a short consulting job of a few weeks and today was my first true weekday off in since I started and the first nice one since last year. I had just noticed that I failed to hand in a paper containing some information that would be useful to my former clients. It was written down and instead of transcribing the whole thing and emailing it I just figured I'd walk over, enjoying the beautiful day and deliver it. As I am walking a guy in an SUV calls out in a friendly manner, "whatcha carryin?" I repsond that its a 1911 and he says "nice" and gives me the thumbs up. Then, to my surprise he says, "I'm a cop and i love the whole OC thing, keep up the good work". To be honest I was pleasantly surprised and did the whole thumbs up nod wink combo cuz didn't really know what to say.

I continued on my way and reached the office. The managing partners were out so I delivered the paperwork to the secretary and told her what it was and that I would like her to hand deliver it to Joe since his cluttered desk is like a vortex black hole and I didn't want to have it lost for months on end or tossed accidentally. She took it, said thanks and I left. As I was out I ran across another worker and asked how his project was coming and what they were going to do about an aspect of another project. We tossed some chatter around for a minute on his smoke break then I continued on my way.

On the way home a random guy just said, "nice 1911" and I said thanks, good eye. The rest of the day went along without incident.

That is until later. Fast forward a couple hours and I get a phone call from Joe, the managing partner I dropped the paperwork off for. I was on another line so I couldn't take it right away. He left a message to call him to discuss something. I figured my shorthand on some of the notes might need explaining. I call and he says that he got paperwork but that was not why he was calling. Apparently the secretary and the worker both were concerned about my sidearm. Joe asked if they had anything to be worried about. I stifled a laugh for the following reasons.

First, they paid me what we had agreed to so I didn't understand what I was supposed to be upset about, we parted very amicably.

Second, the managing partners both know I carry. Joe because it came up in conversation once in regards to the crackhouse nearby and Josh because we ran across each other last saturday when I wasn't in work clothes and he and his wife saw me open carrying. On top of that another guy in the office who also carries knew I OC'd because it came up in polite conversation a few times. Now that I think about it even the Accountant carries in her purse.

Anyways, I just found it rather amusing that he's calling me up and asking if I'm disgruntled or something. I assure him that I am not and that when I am not in work clothes I always open carry. Him being a former serviceman in the Navy I assume he could appreciate the 2nd Amendment but was the call really necessary?

I guess its better than jumping to conclusions and calling the cops and wasting their time. Anything like this ever happen to anyone who met co-workers outside the office?

david.ross

imported post

Living in a small city right now, I've met many coworkers out of the office. Some of them have threatened to quit their job in the past if I wasn't fired, which they ended up not doing. The CEO called their bluff, even though she is from Chicago and doesn't see the need for people to carry firearms.

Did the person identify as a Pittsburgh police? I've met several different officers during my morning and afternoon jogs in the business district. Some officers/troopers come from other states to visit family in the Pittsburgh area. I've had a Rhode Island trooper curiously ask me what department I'm with and why he seen me 4 times in the past 30 minutes walking the same street. (I was lost... I can never find the right bus stop ;_; )

In regards to Pittsburgh police, they're fantastic people who tend to look up the laws. Many have bitten their tongue around me in conversation as they want to look up the laws themselves, which is great. We need more people like the officers in the PGH PD, who tend to err on the side of caution, not risking infringing on people's rights for a "gut feeling"(mere suspicion).

jahwarrior

imported post

dude, you're so fired.:lol:

i've run into coworkers on my day off, carrying. some of them get weirded out, and some think it's nuts, some think it's cool, one or two tried to get me fired. whatever. the worst thing that happened was a supervisor pulling me aside at work and asked if i were armed; i said no, but he lectured me on guns in the workplace, for everyone's safety, why would you need one, i'm a flaming polesmoker, yadda yadda yadda. i just walked away.

david.ross

imported post

jah, heh... I work at a mental health clinic. I think all clinical staff should arm themselves. I take note the incident in northern alaska where a client slashed the neck of a provider while she was in the parking lot.

:D Would you say a witty remark to a manager? "Don't you have somewhere to be, like chasing after staplers?"(Office space rip)... I thought the whole bunny officer remark to be extremely funny, even though it didn't give a kind image of open carriers.

jahwarrior

imported post

insane.kangaroo wrote:
jah, heh... I work at a mental health clinic. I think all clinical staff should arm themselves. I take note the incident in northern alaska where a client slashed the neck of a provider while she was in the parking lot.

:D Would you say a witty remark to a manager? "Don't you have somewhere to be, like chasing after staplers?"(Office space rip)... I thought the whole bunny officer remark to be extremely funny, even though it didn't give a kind image of open carriers.

i don't care about the image of open carriers.

are you really gonna give me shit about image? really? dressing up like a security guard, or a fuzzy animal, and you're worried about image?

and no, people who work in looney bins shouldn't carry guns, no more than corrections officers should.

david.ross

imported post

Jah,

Think what you want, the truth is I receive better results by dressing how I do compared to other open carriers. I've been running in to people who view open carriers as hostile, attitude related. After those individuals speak with me, they end up saying how I'm a level headed guy and tell me about the some open carriers they've ran in to which acted like complete jerks with the, "IT'S MY SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHT, GFY!"

In regards to cosplay(fursuiting/furry/etc), where is your inner creativity? Your inner creativity wants to be FUR-EE.

the last gunfighter

imported post

I have a part time job driving people home after they drop their cars off for repairs. My boss after seeing I OC asked if I don't because it might freak out the customers. No problem I said but the mechanic got ticked because he carries (he prefers CC) because as he said if I want to OC I can and to h#@$ with what others think. I agree but since I OC a Ruger Vaquero .45 SA I just put it in my car til work is over then load up after work.

:celebrate

Mtn Jack

imported post

Gunfighter are you a member of pafoa.org? I live just down stream from you and am a ruger nut, lets get togeather sometime and open carry. I see you are new here lots of open carry in beaver county. Be safe and informed Mtn Jack

Mtn Jack

imported post

Spent some time talking with the last gunfighter this afternoon, he is for real and will be a good asset for our cause. Proud to call him a friend. Mtn Jack