Thread: Gun-Free School Zones

Post imported post

I'm working on a project to try and get a couple of my state's laws improved. I need to get some accurate information on what your state's laws currently are. OCDO is about the best place I know of to find a group of knowledgeable people who are willing to help, so ... specifically:

1) Does your state criminalize possession of a weapon on school grounds or within 1,000 feet?

2) If yes, then how does your state define "school" for purposes of the above? Is it just K-12? Does it include colleges? Preschool?

3) Do you have URLs (links) to the aforementioned statutes or could you give me the reference?

Thank you very much.

Post imported post

For a good central location of state laws related to firearms check this website, http://www.usacarry.com/info_explain...resources.html

Mouse over Resources and select the second option, Permit Info by State. Most writeups contain an indication of whether the state restricts carry in or around schools or if you can carry during pickup or dropoff. Almost all these discussions give the citation for the state's gun laws regarding concealed and, usually, open carry of firearms.

On the Idaho section there is also a pamphlet which outlines the Idaho Gun Laws. Look for the thread titled Idaho Gun Pamphlet on the Idaho page here for our situation.

Good Luck on your project!

Post imported post

There is no 1000 footLaw in Idaho when it comes to Open Carry.

However, carrying at a School is Illegal, per Idaho Code 18-3302D.

However, read this Code, as there are several exceptions, and Self-Defense is a legitimate Defense to this Law, per Idaho Code 18-3302D(4)(c).

Post imported post

Eh, you're allowed to OC while dropping off/picking up though, iirc.