Thread: Curiosity on OC/CCW law in AZ

Post imported post

So I am a little curious about rifles and even NFA weapons in AZ...

I know it is legal to OC a rifle/shotgun in AZ, but is it legal to conceal a rifle/shotgun on your person or in your car without a permit? What about an SBR/SBS (given it is a lawful SBR/SBS)?

Kinda curious, as I have an inkling I may move there someday...

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    So I am a little curious about rifles and even NFA weapons in AZ...

I know it is legal to OC a rifle/shotgun in AZ, but is it legal to conceal a rifle/shotgun on your person or in your car without a permit? What about an SBR/SBS (given it is a lawful SBR/SBS)?

Kinda curious, as I have an inkling I may move there someday...
    As far as I'm aware, you were all good to go until the 'without a permit' part came in. A concealed weapon is a concealed weapon (and last I checked, a SBR/SBS would still be a firearm that would fall into that category.) As such, concealment requires a permit.

Post imported post

That blows. Here in CA we can conceal anything with a barrel greater than 16" but it can't be loaded...

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    That blows. Here in CA we can conceal anything with a barrel greater than 16" but it can't be loaded...
    We can conceal clubs/paper weights too =)

Post imported post

Thoreau wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    Awesome.

Post imported post

The concealment laws apply to all weapons except pocket knives. This includes rifles and shotguns. State law permits NFA weapons, provided all federal laws are obeyed.

Post imported post

Thoreau wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    That blows? We can carry loaded, fully auto, suppressed weapons Openly or Concealed, and you say "that blows"?

Guess living in CA is starting to rot your brain.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Post imported post

That blows? We can carry loaded, fully auto, suppressed weapons Openly or Concealed, and you say "that blows"?

Clyde

LOVE IT!

Post imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
    Thoreau wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    That blows?** We can carry loaded, fully auto, suppressed weapons Openly or Concealed, and you say "that blows"?

Clyde
    Umm... considering the fact that I thought long gun concealed carry was unrestricted and I find it is not, that does blow. However, everything else is just peachy.

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    kenpoprofessor wrote:
    Thoreau wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:

Clyde
    Umm... considering the fact that I thought long gun concealed carry was unrestricted and I find it is not, that does blow. However, everything else is just peachy.
    Unloaded guns are not guns, they're sticks. The fact that California 'lets' you carry sticks is what sucks. 'Peachy' is that AZ residents can legally carry (fully loaded and with no magazine capacity or otherwise retarded restrictions) rifles, SBR's, SBS's, machine guns, hand guns, etc. out in the open. Toss in a CCW permit, and all of the above are allowed to be carried concealed as well (again, in a useful-mode (ie: loaded)). The need for a permit may also be changing in the near future with some bills currently routing their way through our state gov. AZ may be the next Alaska/Vermont with regards to carry laws.

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    Let's meet each other somewhere at the state line. You bring your unloaded, concealed rifle and I'll bring my loaded, unconcealed rifle and we'll see who wins.</joking>

Post imported post

me812 wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    Let's meet each other somewhere at the state line. You bring your unloaded, concealed rifle and I'll bring my loaded, unconcealed rifle and we'll see who wins.</joking>
    Lulz. I look forward to seeing Arizona go permitless.

Post imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
    Thoreau wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:

Clyde
    ROFLMAO! AZC 2/26: 'The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

Ahhhnold wouldn't approve.

Post imported post

Ahhhnold wouldn't approve.
    Most of us don't approve of Ahhhnold either! :quirky
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Post imported post

So I gotta ask, since I am not familiar with az case law... how long was cc prohibited and how did it get prohibited in lieu of a permit?

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    So I gotta ask, since I am not familiar with az case law... how long was cc prohibited and how did it get prohibited in lieu of a permit?
    The permit thing happened in '94. Mainly I think for Zonies to travel with their own state CWP rather than a non-res CCW from someplace else. Fact was... people just 'carried'. You were either heeled or not. I s'pose there was a law... but it wasn't a concern (that I knew of then or know now). Most people carried open or not at all. 'Been that was since before AZ was created as a Confederate Territory.

Post imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
    pullnshoot25 wrote:
    The permit thing happened in '94.* Mainly I think for Zonies to travel with their own state CWP rather than a non-res CCW from someplace else.* Fact was... people just 'carried'.* You were either heeled or not.* I s'pose there was a law... but it wasn't a concern (that I knew of then or know now).* Most people carried open or not at all. *'Been that was since before AZ was created as a Confederate Territory.*
    Interesting. I may need to read up on the history and law...

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    In 1990 an Appeals Court ruled (and the Supreme Court delinced to review) in Dano v Collins, that is wasn't an "impairment" of our RKBA to restrict concealed carry. In 1994, an onerous CCW law was passed that was designed to discourage CCW permit applications while simultanously creating an "Instructor Cartel" who financially benefited from the new restrictions.

The same year (1994) the Appelate Courts all butoutlawed open carry and vehicle carry without a permit in the State v Adams and State v Moerman decisions.

Ten years later, AzCDLformed and in 2005 we started reforming the CCW laws, along with strengthing "gun rights" (a misnomer since guns don't have rights) in general. This year, we stand at the verge of restoring the right to carry concealed without a permit via HB 2347 & SB 1108 currently winding their way through the legislature.

Fred

Post imported post

Hot diggity damn. You guys give me hope

Post imported post

I thought NOTHING can be loaded in CA, not just long guns...

Post imported post

azcdlfred wrote:
    The same year (1994) the Appelate Courts all butoutlawed open carry and vehicle carry without a permit in the State v Adams and State v Moerman decisions.
    Fred, I am grateful for all that AZCDL does, and I support your efforts with letter-writing campaigns to my legislators nearly every time AZCDL posts a request on the website, but I have to ask if this isn't a little bit of fear-mongering.

I've been open carrying in Arizona for 10 years, and several others here have been carrying far longer than that. Aside from the two gentlemen in the cases cited above (who, if I recall, were not exactly regular Joes going about their business), can you name ANYONE who has ever been detained or prosecuted for concealed carry based on this case law?

Constantly referencing these cases reminds me of people who say, "You shouldn't open carry because someone might take your gun away." Well, yeah, they might.... can you show me where it's ever happened, though?

I'm all for the proposed legislation clarifying the issue so these ridiculous cases cease to be an issue, but the constant harping that we're all going to jail because a cop walked up on the blind side just isn't realistic.

Post imported post

I, over the years have come to realize that precedents are just as important as the words of a law. It doesn't matter what the actual words say it is how they are interpreted that counts.
    That said I fully support AZCDL in their fight to overcome precedent (case law) regarding OC.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance.

Post imported post

Do not ever put California and Arizona together when it comes to Guns.

California Law 12031(e) prohibits... Loaded Firearms... within Incorporated Places..., or Unincorporated 'No-Shooting' Places.

There is no such Arizona Law to match.

California Law allows Concealed Carry of Rifles/Shotguns, however, one may not Conceal a Pistol without a Permit.

In Arizona Loaded Open Carryis Legal. Concealed Carry is Legal with a Permit.

Permits in California are 'May-issue', which usually means 'No-issue', unless; you happen to live in the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range Counties. Even if you get one, Counties with more than 200,000 People null the Permit, and besides the Permit is no good outside of your Home County of issuance even if the other County has a population of less than 200,000. Unless you are: 1. Rich, 2. Movie-Star Popular, or 3. Politically well-connected, getting a Permit in, say... Los Angeles County, is impossible.

In Arizona Permits to Conceal are 'Shall-issue', and are respected everywhere in Arizona.