• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Curiosity on OC/CCW law in AZ

pullnshoot25

imported post

So I am a little curious about rifles and even NFA weapons in AZ...

I know it is legal to OC a rifle/shotgun in AZ, but is it legal to conceal a rifle/shotgun on your person or in your car without a permit? What about an SBR/SBS (given it is a lawful SBR/SBS)?

Kinda curious, as I have an inkling I may move there someday...

Thoreau

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
So I am a little curious about rifles and even NFA weapons in AZ...

I know it is legal to OC a rifle/shotgun in AZ, but is it legal to conceal a rifle/shotgun on your person or in your car without a permit? What about an SBR/SBS (given it is a lawful SBR/SBS)?

Kinda curious, as I have an inkling I may move there someday...
As far as I'm aware, you were all good to go until the 'without a permit' part came in. A concealed weapon is a concealed weapon (and last I checked, a SBR/SBS would still be a firearm that would fall into that category.) As such, concealment requires a permit.

me812

imported post

The concealment laws apply to all weapons except pocket knives. This includes rifles and shotguns. State law permits NFA weapons, provided all federal laws are obeyed.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
That blows. Here in CA we can conceal anything with a barrel greater than 16" but it can't be loaded...
We can conceal clubs/paper weights too =)

That blows? We can carry loaded, fully auto, suppressed weapons Openly or Concealed, and you say "that blows"?

Guess living in CA is starting to rot your brain.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

GF

imported post

That blows? We can carry loaded, fully auto, suppressed weapons Openly or Concealed, and you say "that blows"?

Clyde

:lol:LOVE IT!

pullnshoot25

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
Thoreau wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
That blows. Here in CA we can conceal anything with a barrel greater than 16" but it can't be loaded...

That blows?   We can carry loaded, fully auto, suppressed weapons Openly or Concealed, and you say "that blows"?

Clyde

Umm... considering the fact that I thought long gun concealed carry was unrestricted and I find it is not, that does blow. However, everything else is just peachy.

Thoreau

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
kenpoprofessor wrote:
Thoreau wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

Clyde

Umm... considering the fact that I thought long gun concealed carry was unrestricted and I find it is not, that does blow. However, everything else is just peachy.
Unloaded guns are not guns, they're sticks. The fact that California 'lets' you carry sticks is what sucks. 'Peachy' is that AZ residents can legally carry (fully loaded and with no magazine capacity or otherwise retarded restrictions) rifles, SBR's, SBS's, machine guns, hand guns, etc. out in the open. Toss in a CCW permit, and all of the above are allowed to be carried concealed as well (again, in a useful-mode (ie: loaded)). The need for a permit may also be changing in the near future with some bills currently routing their way through our state gov. AZ may be the next Alaska/Vermont with regards to carry laws.

me812

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
Let's meet each other somewhere at the state line. You bring your unloaded, concealed rifle and I'll bring my loaded, unconcealed rifle and we'll see who wins.</joking>

pullnshoot25

imported post

me812 wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
Let's meet each other somewhere at the state line. You bring your unloaded, concealed rifle and I'll bring my loaded, unconcealed rifle and we'll see who wins.</joking>

Lulz. I look forward to seeing Arizona go permitless.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

kenpoprofessor wrote:
Thoreau wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:

Clyde

ROFLMAO! :lol: AZC 2/26: 'The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

Ahhhnold wouldn't approve.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
So I gotta ask, since I am not familiar with az case law... how long was cc prohibited and how did it get prohibited in lieu of a permit?
The permit thing happened in '94. Mainly I think for Zonies to travel with their own state CWP rather than a non-res CCW from someplace else. Fact was... people just 'carried'. You were either heeled or not. I s'pose there was a law... but it wasn't a concern (that I knew of then or know now). Most people carried open or not at all. 'Been that was since before AZ was created as a Confederate Territory.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
pullnshoot25 wrote:
So I gotta ask, since I am not familiar with az case law... how long was cc prohibited and how did it get prohibited in lieu of a permit?
The permit thing happened in '94.  Mainly I think for Zonies to travel with their own state CWP rather than a non-res CCW from someplace else.  Fact was... people just 'carried'.  You were either heeled or not.  I s'pose there was a law... but it wasn't a concern (that I knew of then or know now).  Most people carried open or not at all.  'Been that was since before AZ was created as a Confederate Territory. 

Interesting. I may need to read up on the history and law... :)

azcdlfred

imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
In 1990 an Appeals Court ruled (and the Supreme Court delinced to review) in Dano v Collins, that is wasn't an "impairment" of our RKBA to restrict concealed carry. In 1994, an onerous CCW law was passed that was designed to discourage CCW permit applications while simultanously creating an "Instructor Cartel" who financially benefited from the new restrictions.

The same year (1994) the Appelate Courts all butoutlawed open carry and vehicle carry without a permit in the State v Adams and State v Moerman decisions.

Ten years later, AzCDLformed and in 2005 we started reforming the CCW laws, along with strengthing "gun rights" (a misnomer since guns don't have rights) in general. This year, we stand at the verge of restoring the right to carry concealed without a permit via HB 2347 & SB 1108 currently winding their way through the legislature.

Fred