• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arming the Department of Education with 12-gauge shotguns

deanf

imported post

My thoughts on the unconstitutionality of most (if not all) federal law enforcement notwithstanding, I don't oppose any police officer being armed for self defense. When all the cosmetic trappings are stripped away, a police officer is a police officer, no matter the origin of the law he is enforcing, or the power he is commissioned by.

Police officers have to conform to the same rules as anyone else when employing deadly force (imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury), so why shouldn't they be able to choose the best tool for their circumstances, just as we argue we should be able to?

Dave, I'm not sure of the point of your article. You dance around a few things but fail to come to a point that I could pick out. What exactly is your objection to police officers being armed with guns?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

deanf wrote:
My thoughts on the unconstitutionality of most (if not all) federal law enforcement notwithstanding, I don't oppose any police officer being armed for self defense. When all the cosmetic trappings are stripped away, a police officer is a police officer, no matter the origin of the law he is enforcing, or the power he is commissioned by.

Police officers have to conform to the same rules as anyone else when employing deadly force (imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury), so why shouldn't they be able to choose the best tool for their circumstances, just as we argue we should be able to?

Dave, I'm not sure of the point of your article. You dance around a few things but fail to come to a point that I could pick out. What exactly is your objection to police officers being armed with guns?
I guess what I took from it, is why is the Department of Education buying shotguns? What is it that they are investigating? Why don't they use the FBI, local police, and prosecutors to investigate? And what again are they investigating?

deanf

imported post

Well it's all laid out in the article.

All federal agencies get their own little police force these days. I don't agree with that, but that's the way it is and it's an argument for another thread.

But if we are going to hire someone as a police officer, no matter what kind, shouldn't we agree to arm them in the manner that they see fit to defend their life? If not, then we are no better than those who seek to dictate how we arm ourselves.

rickomatic

imported post

Can no one around here do better that a one or two sentence analysis? Come on people.
Well said, Dean. And you kept it to one or two sentences too!!

Machoduck

imported post

deanf wrote:

Dean, go run that past Oathkeepers and see what they think of it.

MD

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deanf wrote:
Can no one around here do better that a one or two sentence analysis?
I'll take a swing at it.

The Dept of Education IG investigating fraud, waste, and abuse in education?

That is a little like the headline today that the fedgov is going to ferret out stimulus fraud. Yeah, right. Like they are really going to ferret out the fact that the stimulus itself was the fraud--transfering taxpayer wealth to the banking and finance industry. Like they are really going to investigate the real perpetrators of the stimulus fraud--the Treasury Dept, Congress, and the formulators of the executive branch policiesthat favored loans to unqualified homebuyers, and the banking industry. Oh, and the real big boy: The Federal Reserve.

Like the Dept of Ed. IG is really going to investigate where all the vast sums of fed money spent on education really goes while student achieve is in the sewer. That's the fraud that should be investigated--taking and spending taxpayer money under the false pretense that they can actually do something effective with it, like actually educate America's youth.

So, there you go. More than two sentences. And the correct targets, rather than the one's the government would have us believe. :)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

How about this:

The Deptartment of Education IG is inspecting the following crimes in Chicago (Does anyone see the irony in the location? I will give you a hint McDonald v Chicago)

1) Possesion of a school book with out a permit.

2)Purchasing more than one school book per month.

3) Carrying a schoolbook in plain view to a coffee shop.

4) Possesion of a non-registered schoolbook.

5) Unlawful possesion of a fully automatic school book on a Sony E Reader.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
How about this:

The Deptartment of Education IG is inspecting the following crimes in Chicago (Does anyone see the irony in the location? I will give you a hint McDonald v Chicago)

:)

Don't forget: "Reading a book that isnot approved by the Dept of Education." You know, evolution vs intelligent design, sex ed use of banana's vs abstinence, physics vs superstition, that sort of thing.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Citizen wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
How about this:

:)

Don't forget: "Reading a book that isnot approved by the Dept of Education." You know, evolution vs intelligent design, sex ed use of banana's vs abstinence, that sort of thing.
Oh! You are right, how could I forget the ASSAULT books!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
SNIP Oh! You are right, how could I forget the ASSAULT books!
Oh, yes. And then there are the genuine military-only books for college and university programs on education itself. Really subversivetitles like:

"How ToTeachSo Students ActuallyLearn Something."

"Why The NEA's Excuses About Their Incompetence Never Actually Improves Student Achievement."

heresolong

imported post

deanf wrote:
My thoughts on the unconstitutionality of most (if not all) federal law enforcement notwithstanding, I don't oppose any police officer being armed for self defense.
Armed for self defense? They are investigating fraud and waste by schools. They are accountants. Why do they need weapons at all? Presumably the way you conduct an audit is by showing up and looking through the books. Are they expecting the principal, when confronted with his misdeeds, of pulling an Uzi out of his trench coat and shooting his way out of the school? By this logic Brian Sonntag, our auditor here in Washington State should be heavily armed prior to auditing any state departments. This is ridiculous.

(PS Thinking about becoming a DoE inspector. :) )