• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking into buying a Nice holster.

boostintalon96

imported post

I looked at the serpa holsters today for my Glock 23. I like the way they lock the gun into the holster securely. I guess I am just concerned about Holsterwear on my slide from the plastic. I am sure you guys will be able to help out with your expiriences. I dont want my glock to end up looking like a damn Cop gun w/ tons of wear on the slide. Any input is appreciated!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I have a Glock 36 that has been on my side for four or five years (I think) and it shows it. I know how you feel about the wear and tear on a firearm from a holster but it will happen. I carried my G36 in a Bianchi leather holster until about 6 months ago. When I found that Blackhawk had a Serpa retention holster for the G36 I bought one. I MUCH prefer this Serpa holster to my Bianchi only because it has the retention system. I do not think it causes any excessive wear on my gun. I also have a Blackhawk Serpa for my Judge and I very much doubt it will cause any noticeable wear. With that being said I think it is much better to have a firearm on your side that is secured by a retention holster than by an ordinary leather holster but....each to his own. I love my leather holsters but when open carrying I feel much better having the retention holster secure my firearm. My two cents. You cannot go wrong with Blackhawk retention holsters! :exclaim:

boostintalon96

imported post

Wow you carry a Judge! I would hate to be on the wrong side of that sucker!!! My good friend is looking for a used judge as we speak.. I cant wait to shoot that thing once he gets one! And thanks for your info about the holster! I also like the fact that you couldn't come up behind and grab the gun from the holster. I think this is what I will be picking up. I just have a Brand new gun and dont want it to look worn out in a little while ya know!

smithman

imported post

Hello. As a manner of expectations, one should only carry a gun expecting that some holster wear will happen. That is why I have chosen certain guns for regular carry and others not so much.

I have a SERPA for my semi and I still haven't seen any appreciable wear, even after carrying around my property for years, and in public for about a year.

Serpent

imported post

I use the serpa retention holster for all but one of my guns. I have the rotating detachable attachments for all of them. I never have to remove the gun from the holster. Just press the releases, turn to detach from the base, and put the holster in the case with the gun still in it. No wear at all. I can drop the mag without unholstering also.

hduc2005

imported post

Serpent wrote:
I use the serpa retention holster for all but one of my guns. I have the rotating detachable attachments for all of them. I never have to remove the gun from the holster. Just press the releases, turn to detach from the base, and put the holster in the case with the gun still in it. No wear at all. I can drop the mag without unholstering also.
where did you find the rotating detachable attachments?

Serpent

imported post

Meant to say detachable adaptors... been a long day.
I ordered them from Erik at fiveodepot.com in Grafton WI. I met him at a gun show in LaCrosse. Nice guy, so if you want to send some business his way, I'm sure he'd appreciate it. You can also go to blackhawk.com.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Judge I own is the Public Defender model. It is a shortened version of the larger revolvers on the model 85 frame. 2 inch barrel with the standard cylinder for 2.5 inch shotshells. The gun weighs 28 ounces unloaded and is very comfortable to wear. I do NOT open carry with it yet since I have yet to take it to the range and break it in. I only trust my life to firearms I trust completely and am proficient with such as my Glock 36. I expect I will open carry the Judge once I get use to using it and trust it. For open carry I would never want to have one of the larger Judge's on my side. Too heavy, too uncomfortable and too big (for me anyway). I got mine at Cabela's in Richfield a month or so ago during the 10% off NRA weekend. After the discount it was something like $460. Original price was $519 which is a good price for this particular revolver. It is in a Serpa holster and it fits perfectly. Can't go wrong with the Blackhawk Serpa's!

bluehighways

imported post

I have the same holster for my Glock 21. It's comfortable, very durable and retains the pistol nicely.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I use Safariland Model 6320 ALS duty holsters for both my Glock 23 and Glock 35. They have a suede-like lining inside protecting the gun's finish.

The draw is equally fast as from the Serpa, the construction is much more rugged. And the retention button is much less obvious to the casual observer.

Downside-- more expensive -- list price around 100 dollars, but shop around and you can get them for around 70.

Other downside: all my Glocks (except the G20) fit equally well in the Serpa, but due to differences in barrel length I required two holsters from Safariland.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I carry a G19 in a Blackhawk Sepra regularly and have some wear near the front of the gun on the slide. I had the slide refinished at one point, so I don't know how the normal Glock finish would differ.

I also have a Safariland holster and the suede inside is much nicer for protecting the gun. Shotgun mentions you need different holsters for different Glocks, just to clarify that if you by the largest model all of the small models fit into the holster. My Safariland is for a G34/G35, my G22, G23, and G27 all fit in the holster (the holsters for a G36, G29/30, G20/21 are wider).

I tend to carry my Blackhawk because I like the paddle holster as it's easier to put on/take off than my Safariland which I need to remove my belt.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Mugenlude wrote:
I carry a G19 in a Blackhawk Sepra regularly and have some wear near the front of the gun on the slide. I had the slide refinished at one point, so I don't know how the normal Glock finish would differ.

I also have a Safariland holster and the suede inside is much nicer for protecting the gun. Shotgun mentions you need different holsters for different Glocks, just to clarify that if you by the largest model all of the small models fit into the holster. My Safariland is for a G34/G35, my G22, G23, and G27 all fit in the holster (the holsters for a G36, G29/30, G20/21 are wider).

I tend to carry my Blackhawk because I like the paddle holster as it's easier to put on/take off than my Safariland which I need to remove my belt.
Mugenlude is right: the shorter barrel/slide Glocks will fit in the holster made for the longer barrels. I chose not to do this because it is more comfortable (and concealable) to have the shorter holster with the shorter gun, particularly when seated in a car.

But at the range, when I'm shooting multiple guns and do not want to make holster changes, I wear the larger holster which will accommodate the smaller guns as well.

hduc2005

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
Mugenlude is right: the shorter barrel/slide Glocks will fit in the holster made for the longer barrels. I chose not to do this because it is more comfortable (and concealable) to have the shorter holster with the shorter gun, particularly when seated in a car.
I thought this is a NO, NO in WI

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

hduc2005 wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
Concealed carry and a loaded firearm in a vehicle is against the law in WI.

I think what he is referring to is how a smaller holster doesn't attract as much attention as something larger, therefore, it's more concealable... similar to wearing black pants and shirt what using a black holster/gun. Your not concealing it, it's just more concealable.

Regarding the holster while seated (the holster would be empty), something smaller is again nicer and more comfortable. Most of us just remove the firearm from the holster and leave the holster on when traveling in the vehicle.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

hduc2005 wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
So why would you think I spend all of my time only Wisconsin? I have CC permits from PA, MN and FL so I'm good to go concealed in around 30 states if I choose. I take full advantage of them when I travel. Drove from Portland, Oregon 2 weeks ago and it was a long way to the MN/WI border.

In Wisconsin I still wear my holster in the car... the comfort consideration of a longer or shorter holster remains.

Passive101

imported post

Do not try to OC in FL

I have a Serpa and an ALS safariland holster. The safariland is much more secure and durable. It is also a lvl 3 holster. Somehow my Serpa is considered a lvl 2 even though there is only a single release.

Both show some wear. Afer you carry a tool for years wear is expected.