Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California legislator seeks to ban even limited right to open carry UNLOADED handguns

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/03...arry-gun-right

SNIP

Assembly Member Saldaña said she was compelled to introduce the bill to limit the open carry law in California, which is one of at least 38 states that allows the display of unconcealed weapons, following a gathering of some 60 armed open carry advocates at a southern California beach.

“People were understandably concerned,” she said. “The police were called and the situation became frightening for the families simply enjoying a day at the beach.”

In recent months, members of the grass-roots open carry movement have been turning up at many Bay Area cafes. In addition to bringing attention to gun laws, which allow unconcealed and unloaded weapons to be carried without a permit, the groups are also making a statement about the difficulty of obtaining concealed weapons permits.

In a Monitor interview last month, Bay Area open carry advocate David LaTour said that unless someone is “well connected” politically, concealed weapons permits are essentially unobtainable.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

Any idea what the bill number is?

Post imported post

other snip:

Stanford University law professor Robert Weisberg, an expert on gun laws, says it's unlikely that the California legislature would endorse Saldaña’s bill. “The great majority from both political parties don’t want to cross the gun lobby,” he says.

A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.

Post imported post

Gundude wrote:
    other snip:

Stanford University law professor Robert Weisberg, an expert on gun laws, says it's unlikely that the California legislature would endorse Saldaña’s bill. “The great majority from both political parties don’t want to cross the gun lobby,” he says.

I'm not so sure of that but we can only hope. This year will tell...

Post imported post

I love how the third sdoc meet inspired the bill. Geez.

Post imported post

pullnshoot25 wrote:
    I love how the third sdoc meet inspired the bill. Geez.
    No, an irrational fear of weapons and contempt of the Constitution inspired the bill.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

This could be an opportunity to educate a politician, in a positive way.
    It would be smart to have someone from our group reach out to the good politician to share information.
    Rich Keagy
    www.esmeralda.cc

Post imported post

The only thing worse than a politician is a child molester.

Post imported post

There ya go. Winning friends and influencing people.
    Rich Keagy
    www.esmeralda.cc

Post imported post

Yeah, well now you've done it. Going from unloaded carry to NO carry.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

She can say what she wants, she's just blustering and puffing because she knows in three months or less there won't be anything they can do about it. So IMO she's just doing a little proverbial chest thumping.

Plus ever since she practically vomitted the truth out about our rights on the state assembly floor, in her mind she needs to a little damage control. What she doesn't get is that her constituency is very pro gun and now that they know she isn't she won't be hanging around for long anyway.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    She can say what she wants, she's just blustering and puffing because she knows in three months or less there won't be anything they can do about it. So IMO she's just doing a little proverbial chest thumping.
    Not necessarily so. It will take years to flesh out the "bear" right and even then the fed. courts may just say "bear" exists and let states decide the how to; open or concealed or both.

Plus ever since she practically vomited the truth out about our rights on the state assembly floor, in her mind she needs to a little damage control. What she doesn't get is that her constituency is very pro gun and now that they know she isn't she won't be hanging around for long anyway.
    We'll if they are pro someone needs to muster them fast.

Post imported post

In terms of litigation, this is a good bill. When McDonald is finished, Cali'santi carry laws will be also. Maybe this is what she was thinking. Trying to make it easy for us to havethem thrown out?

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    coolusername2007 wrote:
    Not necessarily so. It will take years to flesh out the "bear" right and even then the fed. courts may just say "bear" exists and let states decide the how to; open or concealed or both.
    Hoping for the best.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Sons of Liberty's Avatar

Post imported post

Let's invite her to discuss this over a cup of coffee...say...at Starbucks! My treat!
    Clinging to God & Guns: The Constitution Restoration Project

Post imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
    Let's invite her to discuss this over a cup of coffee...say...at Starbucks! My treat!
    hahahaha....seriously..call her.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bad_ace's Avatar

Post imported post

Here's AB 1810, Brady's initiative to force DOJ to keep rifle sales records for a longer period than they currently do. Maybe they'll try and slip it into this bill.

http://www.opencarryradio.com/documents/ab1810.pdf

Post imported post

Give us a target, so we can put the boots to it. Not much sense in hanging on the phone to her office.

Post imported post

Rich Keagy wrote:
    This could be an opportunity to educate a politician, in a positive way.
    It would be smart to have someone from our group reach out to the good politician to share information.
    Yeah,call your representatives NOW and make sure you let her/him know how you feel.

Post imported post

I've been at work all day, so I'm pretty late on this breaking news. Needless to say, we all saw something like this happening sooner or later.

I attempted to e-mail Ms. Saldana, but she only accepts messages from people who live in her district. I called her Sacramento office, but her voicemailbox was full. I then called her San Diego office and left a message for her telling her that I would like to speak with her about the legislation in question and asking her to please call me back.

How great would it be if she were to agree to some sort of televised debate about unloaded open carry with me? Oooh, dare to dream...

Post imported post

I read the article and of course this was not an unexpected result of UOC. I read some of the posts at Calguns.net and of course there are many of them bashing away at UOCers as if they just had the 2nd amendment erased from the constitution.

Here is some facts that I couldn't find after reading this article.

1. I couldn't find a bill number that was introduced by this state assembly person that deals with UOC. This doesn't mean that she won't introduce one, but it also means that one doesn't currently exist in the legislator.

2. Even if she finally introduces the bill it has to make its way through the whole legislative process presumably before the McDonald case is decided because it probably won't stand up after the case is decided in favor of the 2A

3. If anyone took some time to look at the bills in the state legislator on firearms, they would have found one that broadens what can be used for 'good cause' in order to get a CCW which is a good thing for everyone.

I think people should stop freaking out about words. There have been suggestions to talk to and/or invite her out to see UOC and I think that is the approach everyone in the state should take with all of their representatives in order to educate them. And if they don't want to be educated by the people, more reason to find representatives that take the time to listen to the people rather than trying to appease a very vocal minority that really isn't affected at all except for their own personal fears.

Post imported post

Yeah - take her out for coffee!!??

Make the offer - see what she says. If she declines, oh well.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

I can't find any reference to a Saldana bill regarding carry. Neither on her web site nor on the CA legislative web site.
    Can anyone provide a link to an authoritative source?

Post imported post

One of the things she mentions in her article is the alleged 'fear" that cali OCers allegedly induced by 60 people going to the beach - though this is not true, it illustrates why it is best NOT to organize gigundous meet ups or marches - the strongest way to be a good ambassador for gun carry is to go alone or relatively modest sized groups in your daily life to normal activities.

Meeting in giant groups or "marches" is a sign of weakness - and, lets the antis say we scared people on purpose like kooks in a giant mob.

Everybody see what i am saying?

This is a publicty game with a game theoretic component.

Post imported post

flintlock tom wrote:
    I can't find any reference to a Saldana bill regarding carry. Neither on her web site nor on the CA legislative web site.
    Can anyone provide a link to an authoritative source?
    I will try to get info from the author.

For all the new folks, the event that apparently frightened her is this one.

http://caopencarry.blogspot.com/2009...arry-meet.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast