• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California legislator seeks to ban even limited right to open carry UNLOADED handguns

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0310/California-lawmaker-would-outlaw-open-carry-gun-right

SNIP

Assembly Member Saldaña said she was compelled to introduce the bill to limit the open carry law in California, which is one of at least 38 states that allows the display of unconcealed weapons, following a gathering of some 60 armed open carry advocates at a southern California beach.

“People were understandably concerned,” she said. “The police were called and the situation became frightening for the families simply enjoying a day at the beach.”

In recent months, members of the grass-roots open carry movement have been turning up at many Bay Area cafes. In addition to bringing attention to gun laws, which allow unconcealed and unloaded weapons to be carried without a permit, the groups are also making a statement about the difficulty of obtaining concealed weapons permits.

In a Monitor interview last month, Bay Area open carry advocate David LaTour said that unless someone is “well connected” politically, concealed weapons permits are essentially unobtainable.

Gundude

imported post

other snip:

Stanford University law professor Robert Weisberg, an expert on gun laws, says it's unlikely that the California legislature would endorse Saldaña’s bill. “The great majority from both political parties don’t want to cross the gun lobby,” he says.

cato

imported post

Gundude wrote:
other snip:

Stanford University law professor Robert Weisberg, an expert on gun laws, says it's unlikely that the California legislature would endorse Saldaña’s bill. “The great majority from both political parties don’t want to cross the gun lobby,” he says.
I'm not so sure of that but we can only hope. This year will tell...

Rich Keagy

imported post

This could be an opportunity to educate a politician, in a positive way.
It would be smart to have someone from our group reach out to the good politician to share information.

coolusername2007

imported post

She can say what she wants, she's just blustering and puffing because she knows in three months or less there won't be anything they can do about it. So IMO she's just doing a little proverbial chest thumping.

Plus ever since she practically vomitted the truth out about our rights on the state assembly floor, in her mind she needs to a little damage control. What she doesn't get is that her constituency is very pro gun and now that they know she isn't she won't be hanging around for long anyway.

cato

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
She can say what she wants, she's just blustering and puffing because she knows in three months or less there won't be anything they can do about it. So IMO she's just doing a little proverbial chest thumping.

Not necessarily so. It will take years to flesh out the "bear" right and even then the fed. courts may just say "bear" exists and let states decide the how to; open or concealed or both.

Plus ever since she practically vomited the truth out about our rights on the state assembly floor, in her mind she needs to a little damage control. What she doesn't get is that her constituency is very pro gun and now that they know she isn't she won't be hanging around for long anyway.

We'll if they are pro someone needs to muster them fast.

Article1section23

imported post

In terms of litigation, this is a good bill. When McDonald is finished, Cali'santi carry laws will be also. Maybe this is what she was thinking. Trying to make it easy for us to havethem thrown out?

coolusername2007

imported post

cato wrote:
coolusername2007 wrote:

Not necessarily so. It will take years to flesh out the "bear" right and even then the fed. courts may just say "bear" exists and let states decide the how to; open or concealed or both.
Hoping for the best.

SRaymond

imported post

Rich Keagy wrote:
This could be an opportunity to educate a politician, in a positive way.
It would be smart to have someone from our group reach out to the good politician to share information.

Yeah,call your representatives NOW and make sure you let her/him know how you feel.:cuss:

AdnanShahab

imported post

I've been at work all day, so I'm pretty late on this breaking news. Needless to say, we all saw something like this happening sooner or later.

I attempted to e-mail Ms. Saldana, but she only accepts messages from people who live in her district. I called her Sacramento office, but her voicemailbox was full. I then called her San Diego office and left a message for her telling her that I would like to speak with her about the legislation in question and asking her to please call me back.

How great would it be if she were to agree to some sort of televised debate about unloaded open carry with me? Oooh, dare to dream...