• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California legislator seeks to ban even limited right to open carry UNLOADED handguns

jsebclark

imported post

I read the article and of course this was not an unexpected result of UOC. I read some of the posts at Calguns.net and of course there are many of them bashing away at UOCers as if they just had the 2nd amendment erased from the constitution.

Here is some facts that I couldn't find after reading this article.

1. I couldn't find a bill number that was introduced by this state assembly person that deals with UOC. This doesn't mean that she won't introduce one, but it also means that one doesn't currently exist in the legislator.

2. Even if she finally introduces the bill it has to make its way through the whole legislative process presumably before the McDonald case is decided because it probably won't stand up after the case is decided in favor of the 2A

3. If anyone took some time to look at the bills in the state legislator on firearms, they would have found one that broadens what can be used for 'good cause' in order to get a CCW which is a good thing for everyone.

I think people should stop freaking out about words. There have been suggestions to talk to and/or invite her out to see UOC and I think that is the approach everyone in the state should take with all of their representatives in order to educate them. And if they don't want to be educated by the people, more reason to find representatives that take the time to listen to the people rather than trying to appease a very vocal minority that really isn't affected at all except for their own personal fears.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I can't find any reference to a Saldana bill regarding carry. Neither on her web site nor on the CA legislative web site.
Can anyone provide a link to an authoritative source?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

One of the things she mentions in her article is the alleged 'fear" that cali OCers allegedly induced by 60 people going to the beach - though this is not true, it illustrates why it is best NOT to organize gigundous meet ups or marches - the strongest way to be a good ambassador for gun carry is to go alone or relatively modest sized groups in your daily life to normal activities.

Meeting in giant groups or "marches" is a sign of weakness - and, lets the antis say we scared people on purpose like kooks in a giant mob.

Everybody see what i am saying?

This is a publicty game with a game theoretic component.

pullnshoot25

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

You California guys . . .

Anyway, can one of you email me and tell me who is the top2-3 open carry leaders out there and give me POC inof - the press keeps bothering me for your POC info and they find it hard to believe i do not know each and every 27,000+ of our registered members personally . . .

Gundude

imported post

Mike wrote:
You California guys . . .

Anyway, can one of you email me and tell me who is the top2-3 open carry leaders out there and give me POC inof - the press keeps bothering me for your POC info and they find it hard to believe i do not know each and every 27,000+ of our registered members personally . . .
I'm not "one of the leaders", but I would be more than glad to speak with the press. (in my "behave" mode, of course). My email addy is in my profile.

obeygiant

imported post

I called Saldana's office to find out if they had a bill number yet and the staff person that I spoke to said

We're still working out the language, if we do pursue legislation it will most likely be AB 1934

jsebclark

imported post

Thanks for the Info on the Bill number. I found that one yesterday and it is crazy to think that a bill originally introduced to make non-substantive revisions to the penal code could be transformed so easily. We will have to wait and see how this plays out. I would think that she would have to introduce a separate bill to deal with a completely different topic.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
obeygiant wrote:
I called Saldana's office to find out if they had a bill number yet and the staff person that I spoke to said

We're still working out the language, if we do pursue legislation it will most likely be AB 1934
http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1901-1950/ab_1934_bill_20100217_introduced.html

Hmm, that says: "This bill would make a technical, nonsubstantive change to those
provisions"

Looks like this open carry ban provision is pretty substanative.

coolusername2007

imported post

What ban? What bill? Can we try to not get our panties in a wad before there is an actual bill?

While its fine to contact Saldana prior to there being a bill, let's all understand one very important detail..............IT WON'T MATTER.

It is my position that regardless of the McDonald ruling, and regardless of the subsequent Nordyke ruling, the CA legislators WILL PASS more restrictive UOC laws. I hope they don't, but I also hope they would balance the budget. They can't, they won't.

UOC while you still can! Nothing will change until the huge inbalance of D's to R's is resolved in the assembly, and that won't begin to change for another 3-4 years (in theory).

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
It is my position that regardless of the McDonald ruling, and regardless of the subsequent Nordyke ruling, the CA legislators WILL PASS more restrictive UOC laws.
Unlikley unless they juice up the bill with some shall issue language for concealed carry - absent that, the bill, even if passed, will be vetored - recall Gov. schwartzenagger vetoed the bill 2 years ago to ban loaded open carry in incorporated areas and the legislature could not overturn that veto.

obeygiant

imported post

Mike wrote:
ConditionThree wrote:
obeygiant wrote:

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/asm/ab_1901-1950/ab_1934_bill_20100217_introduced.html

Hmm, that says: "This bill would make a technical, nonsubstantive change to those
provisions"

Looks like this open carry ban provision is pretty substanative.
And I was aware of that bill as well. As you can see it is obviously just a place holder.

wildhawker

imported post

While I agree with your sentiments, in speaking with some folks here in the Bay Area it seems that even the active UOC participants are beginning to faction and evolve. Grassroots activism isn't done effectively without much consideration for the elements you mention... as they say, spontaneity takes a lot of planning.

-Brandon

Mike wrote:
One of the things she mentions in her article is the alleged 'fear" that cali OCers allegedly induced by 60 people going to the beach - though this is not true, it illustrates why it is best NOT to organize gigundous meet ups or marches - the strongest way to be a good ambassador for gun carry is to go alone or relatively modest sized groups in your daily life to normal activities.

Meeting in giant groups or "marches" is a sign of weakness - and, lets the antis say we scared people on purpose like kooks in a giant mob.

Everybody see what i am saying?

This is a publicty game with a game theoretic component.