• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is idaho a "Must Notify State"

jimd_21

imported post

I have read alot through the idaho laws and have found nothing about the "must notify". Have i overlooked something?

Also another question.....I am waiting on my Idaho and Utah CWP's. I have been OC'ing for a while now, when i get into my vehicle i remove the mag and unload the chamber and reholster my gun on my hip, and put the clip on the dash.....Is it legal to have it unloaded in my holster on my hip?

Vandal

imported post

Must notify in terms of what, the question is kind of vague. Also, keep in mind people from other states come through here and look, just may not post.

If you are referring to notification of law enforcement then no, you don't have to tell them about any gun if you are pulled over. Personally, I do and it has been met favorably each time. I do it because if I was in there shoes I would like to know as well.

You can also carry in your car with the gun loaded in Idaho.

jimd_21

imported post

Thank you Vandal here is the conversation i had in another topic with eye95....ttp://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum7/39997.html

DCR

imported post

There is no notification requirement in Idaho. Plus, most LEO's will know when they run your plate or drivers license number - it's common practice to flag that information when a driver also has a CCW permit - and dispatch informs the officer.

IDEagleEye

imported post

jimd_21 - Thanks for joining the forum! Sorry you didn't get any answers for a while.

As stated above, Idaho law does not require you to notify if carrying, but I always do (the few times I have been pulled over).

Coincidentally, both times I have been pulled over (once for speeding and once for running a red light) I was given a warning, no ticket. Not sure if it's related to telling them I am carrying, being very polite, or just luck, but that's my experience. Both were with Boise city cops, and both times I was carrying concealed.

One thing I would stress, even though it's obvious, is that to meet the requirements of open carry in a vehicle, the gun must be plainly visible through casual observation from outside the vehicle.

Other sections of note:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a concealed weapon on or about his person when intoxicated or under the influence of an intoxicating drink or drug.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302B.htm

Idaho law also allows a person to carry concealed without a permit "in the person’s place of abode or fixed place of business, or on property in which the person has any ownership or leasehold interest"

http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title18/T18CH33SECT18-3302.htm

Of course, you should review the statutes yourself as well.

Area Man

imported post

don't know about the whole "notifying" thing, but I do know that your concealed weapon permit number is the same as your driver's license number, so when they run your name/DL through the system, the CWP is going to show up.

Besides, it's Idaho. Dang near everyone is packing, except up here in Berkeley North.