• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

criminals carry concealed in Madison

hduc2005

imported post

Incident report for Case#2010-63185 Released 03/10/2010 at 4:43 AM by Sgt. David Compton Incident Type Weapons Violation Incident Date 03/09/2010 - 9:48 PM Address 6700 W Beltline Hwy Arrested Michael George:
Felon in possession of a firearm
Carrying a concealed weapon
probation hold
Obstructing/resisting Details Officer made a traffic stop on the Beltline Hwy. While speaking with the driver outside of the vehicle, the officer noticed the person favoring his side. When the officer asked him what he had under his coat the driver fled on foot. The driver was caught a short time later. Officers located a handgun lying on the ground next to the fence where the suspect had gone over.

Packer fan

imported post

He was carrying correctly in polite society. He had the element of surprise.;)

My question is, did this young man have the firearm in a case? Was it unloaded in the car? Is that legal in Wis?:shock:

I forget all those laws or for...?

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Yeah, "outside of the vehicle"? Our junior cop just published a lecture in the local paper on how to behave during a traffic stop that included such as, "stay in the car", "don't move around" and "turn on the dome light."

The department has not yet responded to my request for a citation of their statutory authority for such demands. I noted that they will probably greet me curbside at the front of my locked and secured vehicle.

A traffic stop, per se, is not RAS for a search beyond the person.