Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41

Thread: Best Buy Open Carry in lynchburg

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    I was confronted by the store manager Allen Cook on Feb. 2, 2010 with complaints of people being scared and when I politely explained to him that it was my right to carry a firearm he said that since he was the manger he had the authority to tell me I couldn't in the store. So I covered it and went about my business. I filed a complaint with the best buy corp. and got a response back about a week later. I was told that as long as I followed state and federal laws I could carry in there and was told that a letter was going to be sent to Mr. Allen Cook to inform him of my rights. I visited the store several times and didn't have any problems. Then again on Mar. 4, 2010, I was confronted yet again by the store manager about customers complaining of being scared of being around someone with a gun. I tried to explain to him that I had already been told by corporate that as long as I followed the law (I quoted Virginia State Constitution Article I Section 13 to him) and he still insisted that he had the last say in the matter and if I didn't conceal my weapon that he would make some phone calls and I would be banned from the property for life. I have the email address to the district manager and I have contacted him as well. My request to the OC readers that shop at best buy store #444 is that you email the district manager at lorenzo.friday@bestbuy.com. In the email can you please state that you shop there and the frequency of your visits, and notice him of any problems you have had with the store if at all. thx for your time.

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    KFALKO wrote:
    I was confronted by the store manager Allen Cook on Feb. 2, 2010 with complaints of people being scared and when I politely explained to him that it was my right to carry a firearm he said that since he was the manger he had the authority to tell me I couldn't in the store. So I covered it and went about my business. I filed a complaint with the best buy corp. and got a response back about a week later. I was told that as long as I followed state and federal laws I could carry in there and was told that a letter was going to be sent to Mr. Allen Cook to inform him of my rights. I visited the store several times and didn't have any problems. Then again on Mar. 4, 2010, I was confronted yet again by the store manager about customers complaining of being scared of being around someone with a gun. I tried to explain to him that I had already been told by corporate that as long as I followed the law (I quoted Virginia State Constitution Article I Section 13 to him) and he still insisted that he had the last say in the matter and if I didn't conceal my weapon that he would make some phone calls and I would be banned from the property for life. I have the email address to the district manager and I have contacted him as well. My request to the OC readers that shop at best buy store #444 is that you email the district manager at lorenzo.friday@bestbuy.com. In the email can you please state that you shop there and the frequency of your visits, and notice him of any problems you have had with the store if at all. thx for your time.
    Why not take your response from corporate and go show it to Mr. Allen? Seems like a pretty simple fix.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    i have quoted corporate policy to him but he still feels it is his right to tell me to conceal carry only in "his store"

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    also the response i received was via phone call

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post



  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post



  7. #7
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    KFALKO wrote:
    i have quoted corporate policy to him but he still feels it is his right to tell me to conceal carry only in "his store"
    you quoting HIS corporate policy is nothing. His company letterhead telling him something else.

    Otherwise I would go in and tell him that it is corporate policy to give gun owners free big screen tv's.

    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  8. #8
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Sounds like you need to inform the corporation that they have a rogue manager on their hands... and what's to keep him from giving away that next big screen TV on his own? Why would you want a manager that selectively enforces your company policies as they feel like doing?

    TFred


  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    i have notified the best buy corp about the problem. im waiting on a response from the district manager. can everyone who does shop there email the district manager and let him know that you have never had problems before. if he gets enough complains he may take action

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    KFALKO wrote:
    i have notified the best buy corp about the problem. im waiting on a response from the district manager.
    Are you waiting on a response from Best Buy Corporate or the District Manager?

    It would be my guess that if you wrote a nice letter, with proper capitalization and punctuation, you would get a written response from corporate. You could even put a draft of your letter here on OCDO for suggestions before you sent it. You will catch more flies with honey than yo will with vinegar. If that response is favorable, hand deliver it to the store manager and then scan/e-mail a copy to the District Manager. There is no need to circle the wagons in my opinion and no rush. Go to a different Best Buy until this is resolved.

    Ed
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  11. #11
    Regular Member zoom6zoom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dale City, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,694

    Post imported post

    Allen is A manager of the store. He is NOT the General Manager. Ask for Brandis.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    It doesnt matter if he is just "A manager" he still has the authority to kick me out.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    well I guess that is an option, But can one Manager overrule another


  14. #14
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    KFALKO wrote:
    well I guess that is an option, But can one Manager overrule another
    How do you know? Do you work there? Do you know what VA LAW says about "WHO" is "authorized" to ask you to leave?
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    ed wrote:
    KFALKO wrote:
    i have notified the best buy corp about the problem. im waiting on a response from the district manager.
    Are you waiting on a response from Best Buy Corporate or the District Manager?

    It would be my guess that if you wrote a nice letter, with proper capitalization and punctuation, you would get a written response from corporate. You could even put a draft of your letter here on OCDO for suggestions before you sent it. You will catch more flies with honey than yo will with vinegar. If that response is favorable, hand deliver it to the store manager and then scan/e-mail a copy to the District Manager. There is no need to circle the wagons in my opinion and no rush. Go to a different Best Buy until this is resolved.

    Ed
    This is the email I sent, im open for suggestions

    Hello, My name Christopher M. Huiner. In a 22 year old United States Marine. I have a Concealed Carry Permit, and am a expert marksman. I have been a faithful customer since 2005. I have been open carrying a firearm in the store since Dec. 2008. I have never had a problem with anyone in the store till Feb. 2, 2010. I filed a report the first time to customer service. I was contacted 5 days later by a customer service representative and was told that corporate did not ban weapons in stores and that as long as I followed state law (According to the Virginia State Constitution Open Carry is allowed). I carried in the stories a week after a couple times. The second time I was confronted happened on Mar. 4, 2010. I gave your email address to several other people who reside in Lynchburg and that shop there quite frequently, so they could testify to the fact that they shop at best buy and have never had a problem at all. I look forward to your response.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    24

    Post imported post

    Calm down, no I dont know the answer to any of those questions. Im just going to take the corporate route and find what they say. If corporate says I can then none of the managers have anything they can say or do about it.

  17. #17
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    KFALKO wrote:
    This is the email I sent, im open for suggestions

    Hello, My name Christopher M. Huiner. In (I'm)a 22 year old United States Marine. I have a Concealed Carry (Handgun)Permit, and am a expert marksman. I have been a faithful customer since 2005. I have been open carrying a firearm in the store since Dec. 2008. I have never had a problem with anyone in the store till (until)Feb. 2, 2010. I filed a report the first time to (with) customer service. I was contacted 5 days later by a customer service representative (named?)and was told that corporate did not ban weapons in stores and that as long as I followed state law (According to the Virginia State Constitution, Open Carry is allowed). I carried in the stories (stores)a week after a couple times. The second time, I was confronted happened on Mar. 4, 2010. I gave your email address to several other people who reside in Lynchburg and that shop there quite frequently, so they could testify to the fact that they shop at best buy (Best Buy)and have never had a problem at all. I look forward to your response.
    1. Thank you for your service to our country.. Ohh Rah and Semper Fi.

    2. If I had received that e-mail, I would just hit the delete key thinking some 10 year old authored it because we kicked him off the demo guitar hero. You should your Capitalization where appropriate and read your own note before you send. Or like I said.. post it here before you sent it.



    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

  18. #18
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    KFALKO wrote:
    ed wrote:
    KFALKO wrote:
    i have notified the best buy corp about the problem. im waiting on a response from the district manager.
    Are you waiting on a response from Best Buy Corporate or the District Manager?

    It would be my guess that if you wrote a nice letter, with proper capitalization and punctuation, you would get a written response from corporate. You could even put a draft of your letter here on OCDO for suggestions before you sent it. You will catch more flies with honey than yo will with vinegar. If that response is favorable, hand deliver it to the store manager and then scan/e-mail a copy to the District Manager. There is no need to circle the wagons in my opinion and no rush. Go to a different Best Buy until this is resolved.

    Ed
    This is the email I sent, im open for suggestions

    Hello, My name Christopher M. Huiner. In a 22 year old United States Marine. I have a Concealed Carry Permit, and am a expert marksman. I have been a faithful customer since 2005. I have been open carrying a firearm in the store since Dec. 2008. I have never had a problem with anyone in the store till Feb. 2, 2010. I filed a report the first time to customer service. I was contacted 5 days later by a customer service representative and was told that corporate did not ban weapons in stores and that as long as I followed state law (According to the Virginia State Constitution Open Carry is allowed). I carried in the stories a week after a couple times. The second time I was confronted happened on Mar. 4, 2010. I gave your email address to several other people who reside in Lynchburg and that shop there quite frequently, so they could testify to the fact that they shop at best buy and have never had a problem at all. I look forward to your response.
    Suggestion.

    You should have posted it here first for grammar and syntax corrections. How you present yourself via the written word can help you quite a bit.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    184

    Post imported post

    i would go with corporate. my company (its bigger than best buy but similar hierarchy) has district and local level managers in bed and covering for each other. we get complaints all the time and i have been in the office with district and store managers reading through them and laughing. however when a corporate complaint comes in it is taken very seriously. why go to the district manager when you can go to his bosses boss. mention the vcdl and how many people the newsletter reaches etc...

  20. #20
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    You should have posted it here first for grammar and syntax corrections. How you present yourself via the written word can help you quite a bit.
    ^^^^ That.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  21. #21
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,605

    Post imported post

    Sample letter:

    Having been a loyal customer of Best Buy for many years, I am confused by a policy enforced by Mr. _______ of store #______ located at __________ in apparent violation of the stated Best Buy corporate policy regarding the carry of legal, personal protection firearms in your stores.

    My understanding is that Best Buy permits carrying firearms in accordance with the laws of the state where each store is located. Mr. _________ has taken exception to that and has so advised me that he is the ultimate authority and threatened to "ban me for life" were I to return while carrying.

    How may this matter be resolved?

    I will honor Mr. ______ demand and shop elsewhere pending resolution.

    I look forward to your reply.

    Respectfully,

    CC: Any previous correspondence

    [line]IMHO - reference to being an expert shot, USMC, Constitution et al is unnecessary and clouds the issue with emotion and unneeded rhetoric. ymmv

    You have a rogue Jr. Mgr. here - get them to straighten him out - nothing more is required.

    Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  22. #22
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    My only change would be to substitute "I look forward to your reply" with "A response is requested."
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  23. #23
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    wylde007 wrote:
    My only change would be to substitute "I look forward to your reply" with "A response is requested."
    I think it is assumed that a response is requested, since a direct question "How may this be resolved?" and the phrase "pending resolution" is used.

    The original is cordial, the latter is demanding and assumes the recipient would not respond.

    Ha ha, we all have our own writing style, so you have to write it how you want to be heard.

    TFred

  24. #24
    Regular Member wylde007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Va Beach, Occupied VA
    Posts
    3,037

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    The original is cordial, the latter is demanding and assumes the recipient would not respond.
    I would tend to disagree. To me the former is indeed informal and does not imply any sense of urgency. The latter makes the request in explicit terms, leaving no room for misinterpretation.

    I prefer to be direct. Sometimes that does get me in trouble, though!

    We are all unique. Just like everybody else.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,848

    Post imported post

    SouthernBoy wrote:
    How you present yourself via the written word can help ALL OF US quite a bit.
    Carry On.

    Ed

    VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •