• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best Buy Open Carry in lynchburg

KFALKO

imported post

I was confronted by the store manager Allen Cook on Feb. 2, 2010 with complaints of people being scared and when I politely explained to him that it was my right to carry a firearm he said that since he was the manger he had the authority to tell me I couldn't in the store. So I covered it and went about my business. I filed a complaint with the best buy corp. and got a response back about a week later. I was told that as long as I followed state and federal laws I could carry in there and was told that a letter was going to be sent to Mr. Allen Cook to inform him of my rights. I visited the store several times and didn't have any problems. Then again on Mar. 4, 2010, I was confronted yet again by the store manager about customers complaining of being scared of being around someone with a gun. I tried to explain to him that I had already been told by corporate that as long as I followed the law (I quoted Virginia State Constitution Article I Section 13 to him) and he still insisted that he had the last say in the matter and if I didn't conceal my weapon that he would make some phone calls and I would be banned from the property for life. I have the email address to the district manager and I have contacted him as well. My request to the OC readers that shop at best buy store #444 is that you email the district manager at lorenzo.friday@bestbuy.com. In the email can you please state that you shop there and the frequency of your visits, and notice him of any problems you have had with the store if at all. thx for your time.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

KFALKO wrote:
I was confronted by the store manager Allen Cook on Feb. 2, 2010 with complaints of people being scared and when I politely explained to him that it was my right to carry a firearm he said that since he was the manger he had the authority to tell me I couldn't in the store. So I covered it and went about my business. I filed a complaint with the best buy corp. and got a response back about a week later. I was told that as long as I followed state and federal laws I could carry in there and was told that a letter was going to be sent to Mr. Allen Cook to inform him of my rights. I visited the store several times and didn't have any problems. Then again on Mar. 4, 2010, I was confronted yet again by the store manager about customers complaining of being scared of being around someone with a gun. I tried to explain to him that I had already been told by corporate that as long as I followed the law (I quoted Virginia State Constitution Article I Section 13 to him) and he still insisted that he had the last say in the matter and if I didn't conceal my weapon that he would make some phone calls and I would be banned from the property for life. I have the email address to the district manager and I have contacted him as well. My request to the OC readers that shop at best buy store #444 is that you email the district manager at lorenzo.friday@bestbuy.com. In the email can you please state that you shop there and the frequency of your visits, and notice him of any problems you have had with the store if at all. thx for your time.
Why not take your response from corporate and go show it to Mr. Allen? Seems like a pretty simple fix.

ed

imported post

KFALKO wrote:
i have quoted corporate policy to him but he still feels it is his right to tell me to conceal carry only in "his store"
you quoting HIS corporate policy is nothing. His company letterhead telling him something else.

Otherwise I would go in and tell him that it is corporate policy to give gun owners free big screen tv's.

TFred

imported post

Sounds like you need to inform the corporation that they have a rogue manager on their hands... and what's to keep him from giving away that next big screen TV on his own? Why would you want a manager that selectively enforces your company policies as they feel like doing?

TFred

KFALKO

imported post

i have notified the best buy corp about the problem. im waiting on a response from the district manager. can everyone who does shop there email the district manager and let him know that you have never had problems before. if he gets enough complains he may take action

ed

imported post

KFALKO wrote:
i have notified the best buy corp about the problem. im waiting on a response from the district manager.

Are you waiting on a response from Best Buy Corporate or the District Manager?

It would be my guess that if you wrote a nice letter, with proper capitalization and punctuation, you would get a written response from corporate. You could even put a draft of your letter here on OCDO for suggestions before you sent it. You will catch more flies with honey than yo will with vinegar. If that response is favorable, hand deliver it to the store manager and then scan/e-mail a copy to the District Manager. There is no need to circle the wagons in my opinion and no rush. Go to a different Best Buy until this is resolved.

Ed

KFALKO

imported post

ed wrote:
KFALKO wrote:
i have notified the best buy corp about the problem. im waiting on a response from the district manager.

It would be my guess that if you wrote a nice letter, with proper capitalization and punctuation, you would get a written response from corporate. You could even put a draft of your letter here on OCDO for suggestions before you sent it. You will catch more flies with honey than yo will with vinegar. If that response is favorable, hand deliver it to the store manager and then scan/e-mail a copy to the District Manager. There is no need to circle the wagons in my opinion and no rush. Go to a different Best Buy until this is resolved.

Ed
This is the email I sent, im open for suggestions

Hello, My name Christopher M. Huiner. In a 22 year old United States Marine. I have a Concealed Carry Permit, and am a expert marksman. I have been a faithful customer since 2005. I have been open carrying a firearm in the store since Dec. 2008. I have never had a problem with anyone in the store till Feb. 2, 2010. I filed a report the first time to customer service. I was contacted 5 days later by a customer service representative and was told that corporate did not ban weapons in stores and that as long as I followed state law (According to the Virginia State Constitution Open Carry is allowed). I carried in the stories a week after a couple times. The second time I was confronted happened on Mar. 4, 2010. I gave your email address to several other people who reside in Lynchburg and that shop there quite frequently, so they could testify to the fact that they shop at best buy and have never had a problem at all. I look forward to your response.

KFALKO

imported post

Calm down, no I dont know the answer to any of those questions. Im just going to take the corporate route and find what they say. If corporate says I can then none of the managers have anything they can say or do about it.

ed

imported post

KFALKO wrote:

Hello, My name Christopher M. Huiner. In (I'm)a 22 year old United States Marine. I have a Concealed Carry (Handgun)Permit, and am a expert marksman. I have been a faithful customer since 2005. I have been open carrying a firearm in the store since Dec. 2008. I have never had a problem with anyone in the store till (until)Feb. 2, 2010. I filed a report the first time to (with) customer service. I was contacted 5 days later by a customer service representative (named?)and was told that corporate did not ban weapons in stores and that as long as I followed state law (According to the Virginia State Constitution, Open Carry is allowed). I carried in the stories (stores)a week after a couple times. The second time, I was confronted happened on Mar. 4, 2010. I gave your email address to several other people who reside in Lynchburg and that shop there quite frequently, so they could testify to the fact that they shop at best buy (Best Buy)and have never had a problem at all. I look forward to your response.
1. Thank you for your service to our country.. Ohh Rah and Semper Fi.

2. If I had received that e-mail, I would just hit the delete key thinking some 10 year old authored it because we kicked him off the demo guitar hero. You should your Capitalization where appropriate and read your own note before you send. Or like I said.. post it here before you sent it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

KFALKO wrote:
ed wrote:
KFALKO wrote:

Ed

Hello, My name Christopher M. Huiner. In a 22 year old United States Marine. I have a Concealed Carry Permit, and am a expert marksman. I have been a faithful customer since 2005. I have been open carrying a firearm in the store since Dec. 2008. I have never had a problem with anyone in the store till Feb. 2, 2010. I filed a report the first time to customer service. I was contacted 5 days later by a customer service representative and was told that corporate did not ban weapons in stores and that as long as I followed state law (According to the Virginia State Constitution Open Carry is allowed). I carried in the stories a week after a couple times. The second time I was confronted happened on Mar. 4, 2010. I gave your email address to several other people who reside in Lynchburg and that shop there quite frequently, so they could testify to the fact that they shop at best buy and have never had a problem at all. I look forward to your response.
Suggestion.

You should have posted it here first for grammar and syntax corrections. How you present yourself via the written word can help you quite a bit.

conhntr

imported post

i would go with corporate. my company (its bigger than best buy but similar hierarchy) has district and local level managers in bed and covering for each other. we get complaints all the time and i have been in the office with district and store managers reading through them and laughing. however when a corporate complaint comes in it is taken very seriously. why go to the district manager when you can go to his bosses boss. mention the vcdl and how many people the newsletter reaches etc...