• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Simulated training

oak1971

imported post

We have a room like that at the Police Academy at Gateway here. Only one screen on the one wall, but looks like the same program. It gets the blood pumping.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

Shooting simulators are reasonably common and a great demonstration of the dilemmas faced by officers. When you get a know-it-all citizen complainant then cajole him into the trainer and discuss his less that perfect performance.

It points out too eager officers too. When in the incident should the officer touch his holstered gun? When should he draw? Who is leading the escalation of force?

For me, the citizen activist non-LEO, it was easy. I used it as an opportunity to practice my CCW draw after I had decided to fire. I was also in a position to game the machine and my evaluations did not affect my employment.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
NWTC here in Green Bay has a real state of the art sim shooter facility.
Well I'm sure we could all use the facility if we all enrolled in the Criminal Justice program lol. Cuz after all, everybody that carries a gun wants to be a cop right?:lol:

Optimus Prime

imported post

I've used a similar system in the Army, full range of small arms, and using compressed air to cycle the "guns" and simulate recoil.

Beats the hell out of any outdoor range at McCoy in February in my experience.

Landose_theghost

imported post

While we're on the subject, does anybody remember that oldlate 90's Arcade game "Police Trainer"? I used to play that way back, and was a real bada$$ to boot. I think it came out the same time as RevolutionX and Area 51. Anybody else recall?

Dustiniac

Banned
imported post

Optimus Prime wrote:
I've used a similar system in the Army, full range of small arms, and using compressed air to cycle the "guns" and simulate recoil.

Beats the hell out of any outdoor range at McCoy in February in my experience.
I've that system dozens of times. Last time, I shot the 240 so well, I even impressed the system operator. I had 44 kills.

Optimus Prime

imported post

Dustiniac wrote:
yeah nice, until you've carried it around all day, 29 lbs of weapon gets heavy fast.

Never bothered me... but us Engineers rarely travel without at least trucks, and my last unit was fully tracked.

I've got pics from the last time I used the system somewhere... I'll have to dig around the archives when I get home and see what I can find.