• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time open carry

joshcdc

imported post

I haven't posted here in a while. I'll reintroduce myself, I live in whatcom county and I'm about to begin my last quarter of RN school. I've been openly carrying big knives and swords (legal where I live, and yes I do know how to use them well, 8 years martial arts training) for years whenever I could, for deterrence, and have had some encounters with LEO's, all positive. I knew handguns were way better than blades, but never got one of my own for financial reasons, though I always have loved guns since I was a kid in Arkansas and grew up around them. So I finally bought a Hi Point .45, no flames please I'm a poor student;) I openly carried it for the first time in a national park the other day, it was liberating and anticlimactic, I was nervous but nobody said anything, and I now know what I was missing. I am still nervous about OCing in stores and around town, but it won't be long before I get over that. Anyway, I probably would have never even knew OC of firearms was legal if it weren't for this site, everyone assumes its illegal around here (one of my friends asked if I had gotten my gun license when he saw me carrying:lol: of course I educated him, you only need a CPL to conceal, not to carry) and there's tremendous social pressure against the idea. Thank you all, shocktroopers of the gun lobby for educating me and helping to normalize bearing arms. Oh and I still carry a fixed blade knife, they're great for close defense and they don't jam or run out of ammo. I bet there aren't many nurses on here, are there?

Batousaii

imported post

welcome back, congrats on your new lead sling, and double grats for OCing it. I never heard anything bad about the high points except being a little big. Overall peeps say it's a reliable firearm.

;)

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Congrats on your first OC experience! I remember the first time I carried mine openly. I thought everyone was looking. As it turned out, no one even noticed; and that's the way it should be. Just strap it on and go about your daily business. Be polite to those who ask questions and enjoy being a free man!

heresolong

imported post

Welcome back. Probably see you around. We get together for coffee informally on a pretty regular basis (at least those of us who aren't workaholics do) and it generally isn't posted up on the board. PM suddenvalleygunner to get the invites.

BigIrish

imported post

:celebrate
Congrats buddy. Hi-Point makes a good product! I'm poor too so don't feel bad! Fist pistol I bought was a FEG PA-63 for $225. Then my brother got the Hi-Point 9mm carbine....had to 1up him so I got the 2nd gen. And the fullsize pistol so I could swap mags...( purely show!) But that's brothers....and a bargin too boot:what: what hi-point!

amzbrady

imported post

Welcome to or back to OCDO. I have a Hi-Point 9 MM, and I love it, Only thing I dont like is the pin to disassemble to clean. IMO, most accurate 9MM I have shot. I did grind the back of the mag so when I CC it doesnt dig into my "love handles".

joshcdc

imported post

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am a workaholic right now, so take no offense if I can't do the informal coffee get together often. I will as my schedule allows. I would like to come to the next big OC picnic or litter cleanup, though.

tyguy808

imported post

joshcdc wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am a workaholic right now, so take no offense if I can't do the informal coffee get together often. I will as my schedule allows. I would like to come to the next big OC picnic or litter cleanup, though.

Welcome back. Nothing wrong with HiPoint, I pondered getting one for a bit. I just liked Taurus' Millenium Pro line better.

I'm putting a clean up together for May. Everyone is invited. here's the link:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=36127&forum_id=55&highlight=a+challenge+to+the+group

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joshcdc wrote:
I been working long days out of town, so I wasn't able to meet this week and I will be out next week too it looks like. Normally being self employed I can work things around my schedule but Whatcom has been sucking for my line of work.

But hit me up when you have free time it might coincide with mine.

School's almost pau (done) so hopefully we can get Heresolong to join us a little more often.

Richard and Tyguy808 are great guys to hang with too.

Capn Camo

imported post

"you only need a CPL to conceal, not to carry)"

WRONG. Read the RCWs again. "Carry" doesnt only mean on your person.
Then look at the STUPID exemption (a good exemption, just stupid that the Legislature makes laws that are not enforceable.)

9.41.050-060

"legal where I live, and yes I do know how to use them well, 8 years martial arts training)"

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
unprecedented 10 dancing nanners!!

For those times when drawing a firearm just takes too long.:celebrate

joshcdc

imported post

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area

I especially like this exception. Could cover me a lot of the time. Are you referring to the law against carrying a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a CPL even if it is openly carried? Which one was I mistaken on? I want to know my laws well, its important for credibility. Are there other situations where it is illegal to open carry without a CPL?