• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obtaining a permit to carry

CEW in Iowa

imported post

I am going to a class March 20 to do the classroom, then March 21 to do the shooting.:celebrateQuestion how long after I submit the paperwork to Polk county will it take before I can actually legally carry? and is good ole Iowa allow open carry?

Thanks

ethies

imported post

Usually it only takes a couple days. For better details look in at www.iowacarry.org There are a lot of Polk county members that could answer your questions in detail.

As for open carry, yes but no. You can carry in unincorporated areas of the state while not in a vehicle. So.... Not in a state park, not on someone else's land (unless you have permission to be there), not in a vehicle. One would have to ask where this does apply? The only place I open carry is on public hunting ground. It's unincorporated, and frequently a beautiful place to take a walk.

Straight_Shooter

imported post

CEW -

One caution . . . be sure to read the "restrictions" section of your permit very carefully - usually this will say at a minimum "not valid while consuming alchohol or illegal drugs," or something similar. . . although I understand Polk county is currently issuing fairly reasonable permits in this regard, many "county mounties" will heavily restrict the times/places the permit is valid to the point it is virtually useless. If you violate the restrictions on the permit, you are legally open to prosecution under the full weight of ICA 724 . . . that would NOT be a fun thing to face.

There are many counties in Iowa where the sheriff's "drool" over the prospect of snaring someone who has committed a technical violation of their permit. They love to say "gotcha!" . . . and they WILL prosecute.

SS