• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW in Ploice Stations

zig-zag

imported post

Does anyone know what law there is that says that a ccw permit holder cannot carry in a police station. I was in the Westminster station a few weeks ago to be fringerprinted for my Florida Conceale weapons permit and i asked an officer about carrying my firearm there and the officer told me that as long as i have a Co permit that i could carry there but they would like to be told that you are carrying. I had to back to get re-finger printed because the FBI said they could not read it so i told an officer that i was carrying and he said that i could not carry, so i told him what the other said and he admitted that he did not know if i could or not so he disarmed me and put my weapon in their safe and then gave it back to me outside but he had to put it back in my holster. I have not seen anything in the Co statues that says you can't carry in the station. Does anyone know who is right or should i contact the Attorney General. Seem like no officer know the laws .Soory i misspelled police in my header and by the time i seen it, it was to late.

Suburban78

imported post

As long as there are not metal detectors or permanent security at every entrance then you should be fine. I know Lakewood PD has metal detectors at the public entrance( and I mean right at the door, you dont even have room for two people to stand between the door and detector). They would not even let me carry my empty holster in, had to leave it in the car along with my 5.11 tactical carry belt! Thought that was funny. Your CCW allows carry everywhere except schools, post office, and any place with weapon screening at every entrance. Even most sign-age dose not apply to CC.

zig-zag

imported post

There are no metal detectors or police at the doors only one sitting in the back of the room behind glass. The sign on the door as you walk in says "Possession of Deadly Weapons prohibited in this facility, execpt as allowed under WMC 6-2-10, I need to find out what that code is, does anyone know?

zig-zag

imported post

I found the info, I did a search for Westminster police code WMC 6-2-10 and it bring up some codes and scroll down to the Code Amendments re Concealed and Unconcealed Weapons, you will find that Governor Owens changed the laws in 2003 and under Senate Bills 24 & 25 you will get this info. You can conceal carry as long as the building is un secured but you cannot open carry. Next time i go to the police station i am bringing a copy of this that i printed out pages 5-8. check it out those that live in Westminster. No city can supersede state law.

Pat-inCO

imported post

DO NOT FORGET that many cities have the local court included in the PD/SO building. If your city/county has that situation, you are prohibited from carry - of any kind - within that building.

Suburban78

imported post

You can still CC up ro the point of the metal detectors even in a court house unless it's a federal court. The only place you can not CC in Colorado is K-12 schools, post office, federal buildings, and any building that has electronic weapons screening at every enterance. Say you go to Jefferson county court house, you can CC into the buildings main enterance but you can't go past the metal detectors that lead to the court rooms. Another one is hospitals, you can CC in the whole hospital except the ED department that has security and weapon screening at the only public enterance.

Suburban78

imported post

Your welcome. Colorado is a good state as far as CCW laws. RMGO.ORG is a great site for information CC law.

18-12-214. Authority granted by permit - carrying restrictions.
(1) (a) A PERMIT TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN AUTHORIZES THE
PERMITTEE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN IN ALL AREAS OF THE STATE,
EXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY LIMITED IN THIS SECTION. A PERMIT DOES NOT
AUTHORIZE THE PERMITTEE TO USE A HANDGUN IN A MANNER THAT WOULD
VIOLATE A PROVISION OF STATE LAW. A LOCAL GOVERNMENT DOES NOT
HAVE AUTHORITY TO ADOPT OR ENFORCE AN ORDINANCE OR RESOLUTION
THAT WOULD CONFLICT WITH ANY PROVISION OF THIS PART 2.
(b) A PEACE OFFICER MAY TEMPORARILY DISARM A PERMITTEE,
INCIDENT TO A LAWFUL STOP OF THE PERMITTEE. THE PEACE OFFICER SHALL
RETURN THE HANDGUN TO THE PERMITTEE PRIOR TO DISCHARGING THE
PERMITTEE FROM THE SCENE.
(2) A PERMIT ISSUED PURSUANT TO THIS PART 2 DOES NOT AUTHORIZE
A PERSON TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN INTO A PLACE WHERE THE
CARRYING OF FIREARMS IS PROHIBITED BY FEDERAL LAW.
PAGE 18-SENATE BILL 03-024
(3) A PERMIT ISSUED PURSUANT TO THIS PART 2 DOES NOT AUTHORIZE
A PERSON TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN ONTO THE REAL PROPERTY, OR
INTO ANY IMPROVEMENTS ERECTED THEREON, OF A PUBLIC ELEMENTARY,
MIDDLE, JUNIOR HIGH, OR HIGH SCHOOL; EXCEPT THAT:
(a) A PERMITTEE MAY HAVE A HANDGUN ON THE REAL PROPERTY OF
THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SO LONG AS THE HANDGUN REMAINS IN HIS OR HER
VEHICLE AND, IF THE PERMITTEE IS NOT IN THE VEHICLE, THE HANDGUN IS IN
A COMPARTMENT WITHIN THE VEHICLE AND THE VEHICLE IS LOCKED.
(b) A PERMITTEE WHO IS EMPLOYED OR RETAINED BY CONTRACT BY
A SCHOOL DISTRICT AS A SCHOOL SECURITY OFFICER MAY CARRY A
CONCEALED HANDGUN ONTO THE REAL PROPERTY, OR INTO ANY
IMPROVEMENT ERECTED THEREON, OF A PUBLIC ELEMENTARY, MIDDLE,
JUNIOR HIGH, OR HIGH SCHOOL WHILE THE PERMITTEE IS ON DUTY.
(c) A PERMITTEE MAY CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN ON
UNDEVELOPED REAL PROPERTY OWNED BY A SCHOOL DISTRICT THAT IS USED
FOR HUNTING OR OTHER SHOOTING SPORTS.
(4) A PERMIT ISSUED PURSUANT TO THIS PART 2 DOES NOT AUTHORIZE
A PERSON TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN INTO A PUBLIC BUILDING AT
WHICH:
(a) SECURITY PERSONNEL AND ELECTRONIC WEAPONS SCREENING
DEVICES ARE PERMANENTLY IN PLACE AT EACH ENTRANCE TO THE BUILDING;
(b) SECURITY PERSONNEL ELECTRONICALLY SCREEN EACH PERSON
WHO ENTERS THE BUILDING TO DETERMINE WHETHER THE PERSON IS
CARRYING A WEAPON OF ANY KIND; AND
(c) SECURITY PERSONNEL REQUIRE EACH PERSON WHO IS CARRYING
A WEAPON OF ANY KIND TO LEAVE THE WEAPON IN POSSESSION OF SECURITY
PERSONNEL WHILE THE PERSON IS IN THE BUILDING.
(5) NOTHING IN THIS PART 2 SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO LIMIT,
RESTRICT, OR PROHIBIT IN ANY MANNER THE EXISTING RIGHTS OF A PRIVATE
PROPERTY OWNER, PRIVATE TENANT, PRIVATE EMPLOYER, OR PRIVATE
BUSINESS ENTITY.

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Suburban78 wrote:
You can still CC up ro the point of the metal detectors even in a court house unless it's a federal court. The only place you can not CC in Colorado is K-12 schools, post office, federal buildings, and any building that has electronic weapons screening at every enterance. Say you go to Jefferson county court house, you can CC into the buildings main enterance but you can't go past the metal detectors that lead to the court rooms. Another one is hospitals, you can CC in the whole hospital except the ED department that has security and weapon screening at the only public enterance.
That and the local police stations have very clear No Firearms signs posted at all entrances, so are we back to square one, or are those signs illegal, and if so, when can we expect them to be removed?

Pace

imported post

I know a detective in Westminster Police and their PR person. Let me check..

I also have a call into the City Attorneys Office.

zig-zag

imported post

On 3/24/10 i went to my citizen police academy classes and when i entered the building i went up to the window where last week i asked an officer to lock my firearm up in their safe and he did so with no problem. This week i asked a female officer to do the same and she freaked out and demanded that i leave my firearm home and that i was NOT ALLOWED to carry in the building, so i tried to explain to her about the other officer locking it up last week and she was pissed and made me sit until she got in touch with someone. The commander came down and we talked and he told me that I WAS RIGHT AND THE OFFICER WAS UNEDUCATED ON THESE MATTERS. I told him that this could dangerous for people because these officers who don't know or want to know the law can shoot or falsely arrest us. Anyway he appogized for her actions and said he would talk to her about the state law as i tried to do but she said she does not care about state law and does not even know what the sign above the door means. The sign says " you cannot bring any deadly weapons in the building unless allowed under WMC 6-2-10 WHICH MEANS UNLESS U HAVE A COLORADO PERMIT. This officer still does not want you to have a right to defend yourself. She told me she is a police officer and it gives her the right to carry and defend herself but i as a law biding citizen can't. I think the commander will straighten this UNEDUCATED OFFICER OUT BEFORE THERE IS A LAW SUITE.

Gunslinger

imported post

zig-zag wrote:
On 3/24/10 i went to my citizen police academy classes and when i entered the builing i went up to the window where last week i asked an officer to lock my firearm up in their safe and he did so with no problem. This week i asked a female officer to do the same and she freaked out and demanded that i leave my firearm home and that i was NOT ALLOWED to carry in the building, so i tried to explaun to her about the other officer locking it up last week and she was pissed and made me sit until she got in touch with someone. The commander came down and we talked and he told me that I WAS RIGHT AND THE OFFICER WAS UNEDUCATED ON THESE MATTERS. I told him that this could danderous for people because these officers who don't know or want to know the law can shoot or falsely arrest us. Anyway he appogized for her actions and said he would talk to her about the state law as i tried to do but she said she does not care about state law and does not even know what the sign above the door means. The sign says " you cannot bring any deadly weapons in the building unless allowed under WMC 6-2-10 WHICH MEANS UNLESS U HAVE A COOLORADO PERMIT. This officer still does not want you to have a right to defend yourself. She told me she is a police officer and it gives her the right to carry and defend herself but i as a law biding citizen can't. I think the commander will straighten this UNEDUCATED OFFICER OUT BEFORE THERE IS A LAW SUITE.
Good job! Unless there is a metal detector under state law you can CC. The signs prohibiting it have no basis in CO statutes. Not that COS would be a problem, but I would enquire as to what legality those signs are based upon if I ran into them (on the other post).

Pace

imported post

I spoke to two departments, Westminster and Arvada. Both of them said that they will get back to me, but one of them (Westminster) says that since they are a home rule municipality, he thinks that they can ban firearms in the public space.

He said OpenCarry is completely forbidden but will get back to me on CCW.

The key here is communication. Most police and cities do want to help.

zig-zag

imported post

The police say they must go by state law so why would going agains'tstate law be any different. As i stated the sign over the door in the Westminster Police dept is WMC 6-2-10. I have the report coming down from the Westminster Dept and it says they must go by and will change policy. Search for Westminster Police Code WMC 6-2-10 which is the Westminster Staff Report. City Council Study Session November 3 2003, Code Amendmentsre Concealed and Unconcealed Weapons. It talks about Senate Bills 24 & 25. See pages 4-9 of the report.

Pace

imported post

The police say lots of things, and actually as a HomeRule they can make their own law.

zig-zag

imported post

The Commander at my Citizen Police Academy Classes told me that we CAN conceal carry ( NO OPEN CARRY IS ALLOWED) in the police station and in city hall because there are no Metal Detectors or security checking for weapons. In the police dept there are places where you need a card to open doors and there you cannot carry for it is a secured area.

zig-zag

imported post

I don't remember what his name was but he was on duty on 3/24/10 at 6pm so they should be able to find it out. We had a discussion in front of about 8 people who were standing there listening and talking to him to. We were waiting to go upstairs ( You cannot carry upstairs) to start our class, but like i said he offered to secure my firearm until class was done. I also asked Dudley Brown from RMGO and told him the story and also asked him about the Home Rule Laws. He said Concealed carry is allowed but not open carry of which is stated in the ruling handed down from the Westminster Police Dept that is under WMC 6-2-10