• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cant decide

Matty

imported post

So Ive got a Ruger P94 .40. I really like the gun but I was wanting to get a Springfield Armory 1911. The only problem is the 1911 nearly twice as expensive as my Ruger was. Im having a difficult time getting the wife to sign off on it. Anyone know any good stats or reasons that could help me because I'm at a loss as what to tell her.

Brian D.

imported post

Is there some way you can borrow/rent a 1911 pistol to try it out? (I'm assuming you have little "trigger time" with this design, based on your other recent thread.)

I've tried just about everything out there handgun-wise, and just don't shoot anything else as well as a single-action semiauto such as the 1911 or Browning Hi Power. Almost as well with a Glock or XD on a good day, but not quite.

In truth, for self defense purposes those newer guns are more than sufficient if the shooter does his part though, to be fair. But there's a reason (the trigger! ;)) that 1911s have been at the top of the pile for so long in many different shooting competitions.

Whether that matters enough to you to spend the money ain't my call, of course.

Abraxxas

imported post

A 1911 will last forever if properly cared for, look at it as an investment rather than a purchase unlike most of todays defense type pistols of plastic and alloys that will wear out and eventually need replacing. If you buy a quality 1911 you get a lifetime warranty and you will be able to had it down to your kids, and them to theirs, besides the fact that they plain old shoot like a dream ;)

FightingGlock19

imported post

Matty wrote:
So Ive got a Ruger P94 .40. I really like the gun but I was wanting to get a Springfield Armory 1911. The only problem is the 1911 nearly twice as expensive as my Ruger was. Im having a difficult time getting the wife to sign off on it. Anyone know any good stats or reasons that could help me because I'm at a loss as what to tell her.
Are there more guns or purses in your house?

Abraxxas

imported post

catass wrote:
Matty wrote:

LMAO!!!! :lol:

+1

Shoes??? ;)

spylock

imported post

You could tell her that the weapon is well worth the money as it is very reliable,and that your lives may one day depend on it,and more importantly your lives are worth the extra money for a what I believe to be a top of the line investment as far as protection goes.

shad0wfax

imported post

The 1911 has better resale value.

Note that this won't work as an argument if your wife is smart and logical. She will respond with something to the tune of, "but you never sell ANY of your guns anyways..."

However, if you've sold a gun, it works!

spylock

imported post

Yep,and I just dont sell my guns,Idid sella 410 when I was thirteen years old,and have regreted that since Im fourty one now,and back a few years ago I feltsorry for a nieghbor andgave him a 12 ga.,he was shooting chicken hawks with an old gun that had enough headspace to where it would nearly singe his eyebrows when he shot the old thing,I told him to hang that one on the wall.

FightingGlock19

imported post

Abraxxas wrote:
catass wrote:
Matty wrote:

LMAO!!!! :lol:
Seriously, though. If she truly loves you, she'll be pissed at you for it, for a while. But eventually, she'll get over it.

Although, the Ruger's not that bad of a pistol. It's a lot better than some of the ones I've seen recommended on oc.org.