• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This states sub forum is a mess

Michigander

imported post

I think the title pretty much says what I'm thinking, but let me elaborate a little.

With all of the new found participation we have, it's become a hectic mish mash of topics. Getting rid of the stickies didn't help either. There is a sea of topics, and by the time you blink, they are on the third or fourth page.

I for one believe we need better organization. Talk of moving to another forum is always controversial, as it should be, because it would serve to divide this group. But could we maybe at least get 2 or 3 sub forums for Michigan within OCDO? Maybe one for events, another for questions, and maybe one more for news, stuff for sale, and everything else? Giving a couple people the ability to move threads within the 3 sub forums would also be a good idea.

I've missed a couple events I would have gone to for no other reason than I didn't know they were going to happen.:banghead: One way or another, I strongly believe the Michigan section needs better organization.

G

imported post

How is it disorganized?

Make an event thread and bump it.

Seems simple enough.

What event's did you miss michigander? Let's see what those threads were and analyze what went wrong with them and caused you to miss out.

Michigander

imported post

Clearly I am aware of how the system works. And it seems immaterial to me at this point which events I meant.

The point is, that I think it would be better if we had more organization. Apparently you don't agree, but most others seem to.

FatboyCykes

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
How is it disorganized?

Make an event thread and bump it.

Seems simple enough.

What event's did you miss michigander? Let's see what those threads were and analyze what went wrong with them and caused you to miss out.
It's the organization on a whole that is lacking. It is nice to have sub topics/forums to help you to keep up with stuffz.

I agree with Michigander, but think the solution lies in getting our own MIOC forum up and running. I'm not sure why we don't yet, they are free from a number of sources and it would be much nicer to direct there instead of here with new members of MIOC. Just my two and nothing against OCDO.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Yurp, the ebb and flow of message boards, specially one in growing pains kinda like we are now. Again, a simple forum can be set up with admin and mods in a matter of minutes and we could be directed there instead of here, granted we'd be losing a lot of good threads and info, but all the pertinent stuff could be saved and transferred easily, and it's going to have to happen sooner or later.

Michigander

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
I agree with Michigander, but think the solution lies in getting our own MIOC forum up and running.
I'm not outright opposed to that, but many are. Because again, it would split the group up. Some would go over to the new forum, others wouldn't.

If, and only if, it could be set up to where clicking on Michigan sent you to the new forum, I think it would be agreeable. But since I think that has odds less than a snow cone in hell, I am suggesting the multiple sub forum system.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Why such loyalty and or nostalgia for OCDO? MIOC is clearly a completely seperate entity, same and like minded goals as OCDO, but really, MI is only second to what Virginia in posting now? There is no reason that the two cannot coexist, I dunno, this is why I'm not a politician I guess :)

G

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Clearly I am aware of how the system works. And it seems immaterial to me at this point which events I meant.

The point is, that I think it would be better if we had more organization. Apparently you don't agree, but most others seem to.
I was not questioning your knowledge of how the system works.

It is material if we are to examine the threads to see why they failed.

I don't disagree. I'm participating in your discussion. I haven't even formulated an opinion yet because I am keeping an open mind. Are you?

The owners of this site obviously are not inclined to make changes at the whim of "most agreeing" to change.

So my comments and questions were intended to evaluate how we can utilize the existing format in a more effective manner.

Michigander

imported post

The 2 most recent were the Starbucks meeting that made the news, and the White Lake meeting. Although, I did make the White Lake meeting late, because Taurus called me, and I drove for over an hour to go there, despite the fact I had just come from not far from there.

I still stand behind what I said that this is immaterial. Clearly the site should be as navigable and useful as possible. It doesn't seem that way presently.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

I would like to see a Michigan sub-forum specifically for upcoming event threads. With the increase of members and events, this alone IMO, would help to organize the forum. Currently, there are at least 11 threads for just upcoming events and with spring around the corner there's going to be more OC picnic, etc then ever before.

Michigander

imported post

On that subject, the thread you used to have stickied was a real blessing. Made it MUCH easier.

But at the same time, it is a real chore to keep going, and it would seem that a dedicated event forum would make things incredibly simple.

G

imported post

Michigander wrote:
The 2 most recent were the Starbucks meeting that made the news, and the White Lake meeting. Although, I did make the White Lake meeting late, because Taurus called me, and I drove for over an hour to go there, despite the fact I had just come from not far from there.

I still stand behind what I said that this is immaterial. Clearly the site should be as navigable and useful as possible. It doesn't seem that way presently.
No is is not immaterial. Really. Since you have now mentioned them I can comment relative to them.

First, Starbucks. Never saw the thread.

Second, White Lake. Never saw the thread.

While I would not have been able to follow either of these, I would like to have followed their development, since both are of personal interest to me.

The stickied "events" thread was far too cumbersome to wade through. It just did not seem effective.

ETA: Just did some searching for "White Lake" and "Starbucks" and there were no threads for either of these events. Maybe that's why they were missed.

I did notice that in the Starbucks interview there were only 4 people present with the media. Maybe it was not intended to be participated in by the general ocdo membership. It appeared to be only MOC officals.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
SNIP
The stickied "events" thread was far too cumbersome to wade through. It just did not seem effective.
At the time we didn't have any other options for the Events Thread. I admit there was way too much info in that thread, but like I previously mentioned, we didn't have other options. I would have liked to have had a stickied thread for posting upcoming events, one for previous events, one for OC Friendly Places and one for Corporate Policies, but we were not allowed to have that many stickied threads. So what to do? The sub-forum I was proposing wouldbe specifically for members to start an upcoming event thread and at that time I would transfer the event info to the MOC, Calendar of Events.

G

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
CV67PAT wrote:
SNIP
At the time we didn't have any other options for the Events Thread. I admit there was way too much info in that thread, but like I previously mentioned, we didn't have other options. I would have liked to have had a stickied thread for posting upcoming events, one for previous events, one for OC Friendly Places and one for Corporate Policies, but we were not allowed to have that many stickied threads. So what to do? The sub-forum I was proposing wouldbe specifically for members to start an upcoming event thread and at that time I would transfer the event info to the MOC, Calendar of Events.
I just tried to open the MOC calendar and was redirected to a log in page.