• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Front-Sight 4-day training now only $199

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Front-Sight 4-day training now only $199

$2000 value for only $199. Certificate doesn't expire. 100% of money goes to the Second Amendment March. Visit our store to buy this item. http://secondamendmentmarch.americommerce.com/
This item is selling fast.

WORLD CLASS HANDGUN TRAINING:

4-Day Defensive Handgun training offered by Front Site www.front-site.com.

After taking this course you will be able to draw from a concealed holster and shoot 2 rounds into a target at 5 yards in less than 1.5 seconds. A must course for serious self-defense.

Dr. Piazza, Founder and Director of Front Site has donated certificates to the Second Amendment March as a fund-raising tool. This course is a $2,000 value and all money raised from this great offer goes directly to the March.

The course will include but is not limited to teaching the use of deadly force and the law, color code of mental awareness, stopping power, civil liability, etc.

On the range you will learn about loading and unloading, proper grip and stance, sight picture and alignment and trigger control. Shoot from presentation and drawing from a holster, target engagement from arms length to 15 yards, malfunction clearing, speed and tactical reloading and live-fire tactical simulator, etc.

There is an emphasis on concealed carry with low light and night shooting, react to shoot/no shoot scenarios. Evening lectures on shotgun and rifles topics will be covered.
800 rounds required.

The Training center is located outside the Las Vegas, NV area and the certificate does not expire and can be transferred to another person.

This would make a great vacation for the family that shoots together.

shad0wfax

imported post

I really hate to say this about what appears to be a great school, or at least a great idea, and I realize this is purely anecdotal evidence and not necessarily statistically significant at all... but here I go anyways.

I've met and shot competitively with dozens (probably just over 100) individuals over the last year or so and I talked with about half of them about who taught them how to shoot or where they learned how to shoot. The reason I talked with about half is that I talked with the ones who were exceptionally good and also exceptionally poor shooters. I didn't talk as much with the guys who seemed to be right about average.

Of those that I spoke with, three said that they had the basics of pistol shooting but they learned their defensive/combat shooting tactics at Front Sight. Those three shooters that learned at Front Sight were also the three worst shooters of everyone I've ever shot with. Each of those three shooters had bad habits such as poor trigger control, poor accuracy and improper sight pictures; they seemed to have the most problems with the 6'o-clock jerk and shooting faster than their front sights were recovering from recoil.

One of those three poor shooters actually approached me and initiated the conversation, asking me where I learned to shoot. I told him my grandfather and my father taught me and the U.S. Navy let me shoot heaps upon heaps of ammunition where I reinforced what I was taught. This exceptionally poor shooter didn't believe that I'd never had any formal training other than simply USN qualification shoots. He then told me all about Front Sight and how great their program is and said, "The way you shoot, you'd definitely be invited to take their Instructor Development Course and might even be able to get hired to teach there."

Don't take this as me patting myself on the back here. There are guys and gals who are more accurate than I am, faster than I am, more consistent than I am and in better shape than I am; I'm not a professional shooter and I have no intention to become a professional shooter either. (I'd love to though!)

The point I'm making is that of the three people I've met who have learned at Front Sight all of them were poor shots with bad habits. Furthermore, one of them said that I'd have a shot at becoming an instructor there. That doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about Front Sight's level of training.

And, just out of curiosity, I visited the web-site and their front-page entry was a survey/quiz about firearms for self-defense.

From that survey:

3) What method do you consider the best for everyday carrying of a concealed handgun?
Ankle holster, covered by pant leg
Belly band holster covered by shirt
Fanny pack holster worn around the waist
Holster on outside of belt covered by shirt, vest, or jacket
Inside the waistband holster covered by shirt, vest or jacket
Shoulder holster
No holster, gun tucked inside pants

Notice that there is no provision for open carry; Everything is concealed here. They took the time to include the "Plaxico Carry" and just about every type of concealed carry rig, but they didn't include open-carry.

EDIT: All three testimonials about instructors on the World Class Instruction Page at front sight are from people with "credentials" (prior LEO or retired military). Two of those three are Front Sight employees. When two out of the three comments on the web-site regarding instructors come from people on the payroll it makes me wonder. Why aren't there more comments from people with "credentials" who aren't on the payroll?

Again, this doesn't give me a warm-fuzzy about the place.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

I am headed to Front Sight next week and I will report back on what I find. I am not a great shot nor am I a poor shot. I would say I am about average, largeorange sized group at 21 feet most of the time. Today I fired 50 rdsfrom 25 ftwith my XD9 at a hostage target I had 2 clean misses 2 grazes and I killed the hostage once, shot him/her through the right eye.

rpyne

imported post

I have several friends who have been to Front Sight and they have nothing but good to say about it.

shad0wfax

imported post

rpyne wrote:
I have several friends who have been to Front Sight and they have nothing but good to say about it.
That's good to hear. Hopefully their training was solid. The three guys I talked to all had great things to say about it too, but their shooting performance and bad habits is what had me worried, not their word of mouth. Hopefully your friends had better experiences and learned good habits.

Orphan wrote:
I am headed to Front Sight next week and I will report back on what I find. I am not a great shot nor am I a poor shot. I would say I am about average, largeorange sized group at 21 feet most of the time. Today I fired 50 rdsfrom 25 ftwith my XD9 at a hostage target I had 2 clean misses 2 grazes and I killed the hostage once, shot him/her through the right eye.

Sweet, you'll have to let me know how it goes. I hope you have a good experience and get some quality training there. Let me know at the next OC meet here.

P.S. Stop shooting hostages; it's only good for your attorney!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Front Sight in and out of receivership - pending making a payment of more than $600,000 for the members of a class action suit filed against him and Front Sight in November 2005.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/2255050/posts

In 2006, Piazza and Front Sight were sued in a class action by certain members of the "First Family", an exclusive membership to the Front Sight facility, for failing to deliver on expectations made when the memberships were purchased. A settlement was reached in 2007.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_Sight_Firearms_Training_Institute

You make your own decisions, but I recommend that you research carefully.

Yata hey

XD Owner

imported post

I went to the four-day defensive handgun course last year. I liked it a lot, although I needed athletic tape to protect my fingers and nails on my gun hand because drawing from the SERPA holster repeatedly I would sometimes catch my nail on the holster or release mechanism.

What got me was the time pressure, trying to draw and get two shots into the center mass area in less than two seconds before the target rotated out of view was challenging for me.

I think they are good teachers, practice firearms safety every minute, and don't put you down if you are not Bill Hickock or Col. Cooper on the firing line.

I would like to go back there again next time I can.

Attached is me on one of their ranges. I think $200 is a good deal, but that's just me. Bring your own ammo, that's where they make some of theirmoney.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

XD Owner wrote:
I went to the four-day defensive handgun course last year.  I liked it a lot, although I needed athletic tape to protect my fingers and nails on my gun hand because drawing from the SERPA holster repeatedly I would sometimes catch my nail on the holster or release mechanism.
Sounds to me like your finger is pointing "in" when you press the button rather than pointing along the slide. This is bad with the Serpa.

If you're drawing properly, I can't see how your fingernail is anywhere near the release mech.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marshaul wrote:
XD Owner wrote:
I went to the four-day defensive handgun course last year. I liked it a lot, although I needed athletic tape to protect my fingers and nails on my gun hand because drawing from the SERPA holster repeatedly I would sometimes catch my nail on the holster or release mechanism.
Sounds to me like your finger is pointing "in" when you press the button rather than pointing along the slide. This is bad with the Serpa.

If you're drawing properly, I can't see how your fingernail is anywhere near the release mech.
Yep - its a full, flat,extended finger drag - not a finger tip drag.

Yata hey

XD Owner

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
marshaul wrote:
XD Owner wrote:

Yata hey
Now that I think about it, that sounds about right. I was trying to tap the release button as my hand moved down while grasping the gun stocks at the same time. And on the upstroke, my finger would occasionally graze the holster, hence the wear and tear when you are drawing 500-600 times.

So, I should keep the finger extended along the side on the downstroke, and then lightly press with my whole finger and not just fingertip on the upstroke (and move my finger back to straight when the gun starts clearing the holster?

I also learned to press down on the gunfirst, engage the release, and then pull up so it would release cleanly.

I don't think any of the instructors had SERPA holsters, just level I-type kydex holsters. Anyway, better to train like the way you will fight (with a SERPA holster and not a speed holster) so you will fight like you train. The retention feature on the SERPA is good to have.

I also tended to shoot low from mashing the trigger instead of P-R-E-S-S-I-N-G the trigger. Adrenaline from trying to get the two shots off before the timer flipped the targets can do that to you. Us not so good shooters just need more perfect practice.

Thanks for the drawstroke tips!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD Owner wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
marshaul wrote:
XD Owner wrote:

Yata hey
Now that I think about it, that sounds about right. I was trying to tap the release button as my hand moved down while grasping the gun stocks at the same time. And on the upstroke, my finger would occasionally graze the holster, hence the wear and tear when you are drawing 500-600 times.

So, I should keep the finger extended along the side on the downstroke, and then lightly press with my whole finger and not just fingertip on the upstroke (and move my finger back to straight when the gun starts clearing the holster?

I also learned to press down on the gunfirst, engage the release, and then pull up so it would release cleanly.

I don't think any of the instructors had SERPA holsters, just level I-type kydex holsters. Anyway, better to train like the way you will fight (with a SERPA holster and not a speed holster) so you will fight like you train. The retention feature on the SERPA is good to have.

I also tended to shoot low from mashing the trigger instead of P-R-E-S-S-I-N-G the trigger. Adrenaline from trying to get the two shots off before the timer flipped the targets can do that to you. Us not so good shooters just need more perfect practice.

Thanks for the drawstroke tips!
If the index finger is kept straight while it is being slide across the release, there will be no need to straighten it out again as you clear your holster and it will be indexed safely along the lower slide edge.

Suspect as possibility that your shooting low might be a result of time pressure, you are anticipating recoil wanting to get back on target sooner - pushing down. Doubt that it is trigger control.

Yata hey