• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention or No-Retention holster

CantonDad

imported post

Just looking for opinions. I am using a Desantis NYPAD paddle holster to carry my Kimber Crimson 45. Anyways i am happy with the holster and its fit/feel, but it doesnt have any positive retention. I am ok with this but have a concern about me possibly knocking the gun out on the ground. It has never happened and i can tighten the holster with the outside screw to grip the gun more, from loose to very tight.

So are my concerns valid? has that happened to anyone? I am considering fabricating a velcro strap to go over the handle, godd idea or bad?

Thanks for your time.

Matt

Michigander

imported post

For concealed carry, I would leave it as is. If you are confident, and always mindful, and therefore don't really feel it will fall out, I would say it will work just fine. Millions of people carry concealed daily in non retention holsters. If you think the velcro strap would help, I would also suggest you try that. It would be easy to remove if you don't like it.

For open carry, I strongly suggest you get a Serpa or a Safariland.

sprinklerguy28

imported post

I think any concern you have is a valid concern when it comes to the security of your pistol while carrying. Opinions very across the board on retention. I OC 99% of the time and my holsters have active retention. I have previously carried in a scabbard holster with just a retention screw with no issues. What's important is that you carry with what you are comfortable with and have practiced with. Your skills and familiarity with your equipment are more important than what holster you have. Higher end holsters do work better but remember the best equipment in the hands of someone who hasn't trained with it is useless.

THway

imported post

I agree with Michigander. For open carry retention is a must... I myself carry with a serpa. Its a great holster and fits me very comfortably. The only issue i have seen with the serpa, is it tends to leave very small wear marks on the firearm. For me... i do not mind... but to each their own i guess....

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

If you will be oc'ing it, retention is a very important part of overallm strategy.

A strap can be effective, but would you trust your life to it? Can someone else easily pull the strap and remove the firearm? Would you be able to release the strap quickly when your adrenaline is rushing?

CantonDad

imported post

Thanks for the replies.

I think i will try a strap first and see if i like it. Im thinking of a 1/2 to 3/4 inch black nylon strap attached on the body side of the holster coming over the grip of the gun and then using some velcro on the outside.

A strap over the grip safety prob is nota good idea though.

I might as well work with this one as i already own it. But i will keep an eye out for the other models you guys mention.

If i do it, it wont be a half assed mod.

CantonDad

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Can someone else easily pull the strap and remove the firearm? Would you be able to release the strap quickly when your adrenaline is rushing?

I dont know how the retention holsters work but would these concernsapply to those too?

BreakingTheMold

imported post

I like thumb break, duty- style, holsters for OC. It is very unlickely one would or could remove your firearm without you being well aware of it. When im alone and i know im unlikely to see anyone, ill carry with little or no active retention, in a serpa paddle holster. Whenever i'm going to be around crowds retentions importance increases dramatically.

It's mostly personal preference, and personal responsibility. Be safe!

Michigander

imported post

CantonDad wrote:
I dont know how the retention holsters work but would these concernsapply to those too?
Selecting a holster for a given application is a decision of balancing security, and a fast enough draw.

But it's a very individual decision. You have to be comfortable using a given holster, because everyone is built and shaped differently, and different people will have differing amounts of success with different holsters. Trying it out before you get one is very important.

Bronson

imported post

CantonDad wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

I think i will try a strap first and see if i like it. Im thinking of a 1/2 to 3/4 inch black nylon strap attached on the body side of the holster coming over the grip of the gun and then using some velcro on the outside.

As an amateur holster maker I would not suggest using velcro on the end of the retention strap. A good heavy action snap will be much better. The tools required are minimal and can often be purchased in a kit with the snaps foraround $10.00. Ideally you want to use a one way or uni-directional snap but these cost more and are little trickier to set correctly (the easiest and most reliable method of setting them requires a special snap setting tool and a special uni-directional snap setting die which=$).

Bronson

CantonDad

imported post

Thanks for the comment Bronson, my wife is a semi-pro seamstress and has a lot of hardware and tools for things like this, snaps, eyelets, buttonsand the like. So looks like i might rummage her stuff to find a proper snap of some sort.

The more i think of it, i am leaning away from velcro.

Maybe i will post some pics.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
imported post

For OC, always use retention. Of course, that's just my opinion. ;)

I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster for my RIA .45. It works great, and the price wasn't bad either. I got mine from LAPoliceGear.