Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: ???? about cc

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    hale, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    167

    Post imported post

    if i am riding in someone elses car...say my dads, can i put my gun in his glove box?
    i have a cpl for anyone that doesnt know.

  2. #2
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    As I understood it, as long as nobody has access to it w/o a CPL then it would be fine. I'm sure somebody will let us know if I'm wrong.

    Along these same lines, it is also my understanding that I can leave my gun loaded and in my car should I decide or am prohibited from carrying, again, as long as nobody has access to my firearm , I should be able to leave it loaded in the vehicle, as long as nobody is left with it w/o a CPL. Is this legal?

  3. #3
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345

    Post imported post

    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...1_263341_7.pdf

    This is the new law as of this year hope this helps. And with a cpl anywhere in the car is conciderd concealed so in the glove boxor on the dashboard in plain sight would not matter.

  4. #4
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    quarter horseman wrote:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...1_263341_7.pdf

    This is the new law as of this year hope this helps. And with a cpl anywhere in the car is conciderd concealed so in the glove boxor on the dashboard in plain sight would not matter.
    I don't see the relevancy, halp me.

  5. #5
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345

    Post imported post


    Persons may possess another’s pistol under certain circumstances

    MCL 28.422
    was amended to exempt a person from pistol registration requirements – allowing them to possess a pistol without obtaining a License to Purchase (LTP) or submitting a Pistol Sales Record – if all of the following requirements are met:

    1.

    The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol,

    2.

    The person is at a recognized target range,

    3.

    The person is engaged in target practice or training,

    4.

    The owner of the pistol is physically present, and

    5.

    If the person is under 18, their parent or guardian must be supervising the use of the pistol; if the person is 18 or older, the owner of the pistol must be supervising the use of the pistol.



    In short if you dont have a cpl and I leave my handgun in the car with you its a no no, you can not have a handgun in the car with you that is not registered under your name. And at that you can not be in possition of a handgun anywhere not registerd to you without a cpl. If I have this wrong please correct me thanks.

  6. #6
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    quarter horseman wrote:

    Persons may possess another’s pistol under certain circumstances

    MCL 28.422 was amended to exempt a person from pistol registration requirements – allowing them to possess a pistol without obtaining a License to Purchase (LTP) or submitting a Pistol Sales Record – if all of the following requirements are met:

    1.

    The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol,

    2.

    The person is at a recognized target range,

    3.

    The person is engaged in target practice or training,

    4.

    The owner of the pistol is physically present, and

    5.

    If the person is under 18, their parent or guardian must be supervising the use of the pistol; if the person is 18 or older, the owner of the pistol must be supervising the use of the pistol.



    In short if you dont have a cpl and I leave my handgun in the car with you its a no no, you can not have a handgun in the car with you that is not registered under your name. And at that you can not be in possition of a handgun anywhere not registerd to you without a cpl. If I have this wrong please correct me thanks.
    Right, but I don't think that answers either question. Joe is asking if it's ok for his pistol to be...not on his person while in anothers car, and I'm asking if it's ok to leave your loaded gun in your car if you're not carrying it and nobody else can get to it.

    I'm not trying to be argumentative mind, you I'm just not sure that the above answers his question or mine.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

    Post imported post

    I seem to recall an AG opinion that said something to this effect:

    If the driver(CPL holder) leaves a vehicle with a passenger (no CPL), and a pistol secured in the vehicle for a short period of time (say, to refuel or some other pit stop), then the passenger is not said to be in possession of the pistol unless they have it on their person, or actively mess with it.

    I'd look it up but I'm working.

  8. #8
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345

    Post imported post

    Not being argumentative I'm not that way. I just try to help any way I can ziggy knows more than myself so I'm sure hes correct. I just came across this new law and how I read it the owner of the pistol has to be present. just to clear it up in the glove box good to go with cplin you dads carno one in it good to go. sorry for the confusion.

  9. #9
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    I didn't mean to imply that you were being argumentative, I was just making sure you didn't think I was being, ya know being the intrawebz and all.

    Hmm, I'll see what I can find on that Ziggz, I've always understood it to mean that if your weapon is left where an unauthorized user(read non-cpl holder) has access to it, that could be a criminal act, let me searchz.

  10. #10
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345

    Post imported post

    I have always thought the same, maybe see you soon carry on!

  11. #11
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345

    Post imported post

    Dp sorry

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,544

  13. #13
    Guest

    Post imported post

    The "lawfully contained" part is where I see the problem with leaving a loaded pistol in a vehicle with non-CPL holders present.


  14. #14
    Regular Member FatboyCykes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warren, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    942

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote: As always Zigz, you're the man.

  15. #15
    Regular Member 67390FE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Angier, NC, USA
    Posts
    81

    Post imported post

    CV67PAT wrote:
    The "lawfully contained" part is where I see the problem with leaving a loaded pistol in a vehicle with non-CPL holders present.
    That was my concern as well. The footnotes make it sound like it would be considered transport. If the vehicle had a trunk the glove box would not work.

    2 By using the term "lawfully contained," it is understood that the pistol left in the vehicle is either (1) unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle; or (2) unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. See MCL 750.231a(1)(d) and (e).

  16. #16
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445

    Post imported post

    zigziggityzoo wrote:
    I seem to recall an AG opinion that said something to this effect:

    If the driver(CPL holder) leaves a vehicle with a passenger (no CPL), and a pistol secured in the vehicle for a short period of time (say, to refuel or some other pit stop), then the passenger is not said to be in possession of the pistol unless they have it on their person, or actively mess with it.

    I'd look it up but I'm working.
    If the other person does not have a CPL the pistol has to be unloaded and secured in a lawful manner. So if someone say my wife (No CPL) is alone in my car with my loaded pistol she is in violation. If my pistol is unloaded and lawfully secured she is not in violation.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI, ,
    Posts
    17

    Post imported post

    I sorry to jump into this but what if i am with a friend and i am in the passenger seat and i have to go to a bar to pick something up. Could i just leave it in the glove compartment and both me and my friend go into the bar and pickup whatever i had to pick up be it a paycheck or whatever?

  18. #18
    Regular Member JeffSayers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    629

    Post imported post

    cvogtmann wrote:
    I sorry to jump into this but what if i am with a friend and i am in the passenger seat and i have to go to a bar to pick something up. Could i just leave it in the glove compartment and both me and my friend go into the bar and pickup whatever i had to pick up be it a paycheck or whatever?
    This is a crappy situation. While you could OC into the bar, that is not always appropriate for everyone. This just drives home the point of why we need to get rid of the stupid requirements for CPL holders to OC in a victim zone and non-CPL's to dismantle in a vehicle.

    I went through this recently myself, wife and child in tow, my stop was a victim zone for being operated by a religious organization. Only I was going in and I was confident I would have been immediately asked to leave had IOc'd.Had to do the whole dog & pony show securing firearm in the trunk. Fortunately the parking lot was empty so nobody saw what was up, otherwise I may have had to make some creative decisions.
    United we STAND!

  19. #19
    Guest

    Post imported post

    cvogtmann wrote:
    I sorry to jump into this but what if i am with a friend and i am in the passenger seat and i have to go to a bar to pick something up. Could i just leave it in the glove compartment and both me and my friend go into the bar and pickup whatever i had to pick up be it a paycheck or whatever?
    In this situation, no one is in the vehicle. No possession. No issue. But the cpl holder would have to return to the car at the same time as the non-cpl holder.

    I have a gun vault for this purpose, so that I don't have to unload.

  20. #20
    Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Allegan co Michigan, USA
    Posts
    345

    Post imported post

    Thanks Ziggy!
    The "lawfully contained" part is where I see the problem with leaving a loaded pistol in a vehicle with non-CPL holders present.
    From the cc class and everything I'veseenthat is what I thought. Glad you could find the law on that and clear this up.Rockon man!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •