• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

???? about cc

joe_robi

imported post

if i am riding in someone elses car...say my dads, can i put my gun in his glove box?
i have a cpl for anyone that doesnt know.

FatboyCykes

imported post

As I understood it, as long as nobody has access to it w/o a CPL then it would be fine. I'm sure somebody will let us know if I'm wrong.

Along these same lines, it is also my understanding that I can leave my gun loaded and in my car should I decide or am prohibited from carrying, again, as long as nobody has access to my firearm , I should be able to leave it loaded in the vehicle, as long as nobody is left with it w/o a CPL. Is this legal?

quarter horseman

imported post

[align=justify]Persons may possess another’s pistol under certain circumstances [/align]
[font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]
[align=justify]MCL 28.422 [/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[font=Arial,Arial][font=Arial,Arial]was amended to exempt a person from pistol registration requirements – allowing them to possess a pistol without obtaining a License to Purchase (LTP) or submitting a Pistol Sales Record – if all of the following requirements are met: [/align]

The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol,

The person is at a recognized target range,

The person is engaged in target practice or training,

The owner of the pistol is physically present, and

If the person is under 18, their parent or guardian must be supervising the use of the pistol; if the person is 18 or older, the owner of the pistol must be supervising the use of the pistol.

In short if you dont have a cpl and I leave my handgun in the car with you its a no no, you can not have a handgun in the car with you that is not registered under your name. And at that you can not be in possition of a handgun anywhere not registerd to you without a cpl. If I have this wrong please correct me thanks.
[/font]
[/font]

FatboyCykes

imported post

quarter horseman wrote:

[align=justify]Persons may possess another’s pistol under certain circumstances [/align][font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]
[align=justify][font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]MCL 28.422 [/font][/font][/font][font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]was amended to exempt a person from pistol registration requirements – allowing them to possess a pistol without obtaining a License to Purchase (LTP) or submitting a Pistol Sales Record – if all of the following requirements are met: [/font][/font][/align][font="Arial,Arial"][font="Arial,Arial"]

The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol,

The person is at a recognized target range,

The person is engaged in target practice or training,

The owner of the pistol is physically present, and

If the person is under 18, their parent or guardian must be supervising the use of the pistol; if the person is 18 or older, the owner of the pistol must be supervising the use of the pistol.

In short if you dont have a cpl and I leave my handgun in the car with you its a no no, you can not have a handgun in the car with you that is not registered under your name. And at that you can not be in possition of a handgun anywhere not registerd to you without a cpl. If I have this wrong please correct me thanks.
[/font]
[/font]

Right, but I don't think that answers either question. Joe is asking if it's ok for his pistol to be...not on his person while in anothers car, and I'm asking if it's ok to leave your loaded gun in your car if you're not carrying it and nobody else can get to it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative mind, you I'm just not sure that the above answers his question or mine.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I seem to recall an AG opinion that said something to this effect:

If the driver(CPL holder) leaves a vehicle with a passenger (no CPL), and a pistol secured in the vehicle for a short period of time (say, to refuel or some other pit stop), then the passenger is not said to be in possession of the pistol unless they have it on their person, or actively mess with it.

I'd look it up but I'm working.

quarter horseman

imported post

Not being argumentative I'm not that way. :DI just try to help any way I can ziggy knows more than myself so I'm sure hes correct. I just came across this new law and how I read it the owner of the pistol has to be present. just to clear it up in the glove box good to go with cplin you dads carno one in it good to go. sorry for the confusion.

FatboyCykes

imported post

:) I didn't mean to imply that you were being argumentative, I was just making sure you didn't think I was being, ya know being the intrawebz and all.

Hmm, I'll see what I can find on that Ziggz, I've always understood it to mean that if your weapon is left where an unauthorized user(read non-cpl holder) has access to it, that could be a criminal act, let me searchz.

G

imported post

The "lawfully contained" part is where I see the problem with leaving a loaded pistol in a vehicle with non-CPL holders present.

67390FE

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
The "lawfully contained" part is where I see the problem with leaving a loaded pistol in a vehicle with non-CPL holders present.

That was my concern as well. The footnotes make it sound like it would be considered transport. If the vehicle had a trunk the glove box would not work.

2 By using the term "lawfully contained," it is understood that the pistol left in the vehicle is either (1) unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in the trunk of the vehicle; or (2) unloaded in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms in a vehicle that does not have a trunk and is not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle. See MCL 750.231a(1)(d) and (e).

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
I seem to recall an AG opinion that said something to this effect:

If the driver(CPL holder) leaves a vehicle with a passenger (no CPL), and a pistol secured in the vehicle for a short period of time (say, to refuel or some other pit stop), then the passenger is not said to be in possession of the pistol unless they have it on their person, or actively mess with it.

I'd look it up but I'm working.
If the other person does not have a CPL the pistol has to be unloaded and secured in a lawful manner. So if someone say my wife (No CPL) is alone in my car with my loaded pistol she is in violation. If my pistol is unloaded and lawfully secured she is not in violation.

cvogtmann

imported post

I sorry to jump into this but what if i am with a friend and i am in the passenger seat and i have to go to a bar to pick something up. Could i just leave it in the glove compartment and both me and my friend go into the bar and pickup whatever i had to pick up be it a paycheck or whatever?

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

cvogtmann wrote:
I sorry to jump into this but what if i am with a friend and i am in the passenger seat and i have to go to a bar to pick something up. Could i just leave it in the glove compartment and both me and my friend go into the bar and pickup whatever i had to pick up be it a paycheck or whatever?

This is a crappy situation. While you could OC into the bar, that is not always appropriate for everyone. This just drives home the point of why we need to get rid of the stupid requirements for CPL holders to OC in a victim zone and non-CPL's to dismantle in a vehicle.

I went through this recently myself, wife and child in tow, my stop was a victim zone for being operated by a religious organization. Only I was going in and I was confident I would have been immediately asked to leave had IOc'd.Had to do the whole dog & pony show securing firearm in the trunk. Fortunately the parking lot was empty so nobody saw what was up, otherwise I may have had to make some creative decisions.

G

imported post

cvogtmann wrote:
In this situation, no one is in the vehicle. No possession. No issue. But the cpl holder would have to return to the car at the same time as the non-cpl holder.

I have a gun vault for this purpose, so that I don't have to unload.

quarter horseman

imported post

Thanks Ziggy!

From the cc class and everything I'veseenthat is what I thought. Glad you could find the law on that and clear this up.Rockon man!