• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb Daily Feedback

reidksmith

imported post

Hey guys. I just got a call from a legislative aide of a Michigan state representative asking me to help address constituent concerns expressed in a letter to the representative about OC. The constituent had seen the piece in the Macomb Daily and become alarmed.

I gave the aide all of the relevant info for the OC statutes, including the PDF OC-Chart. The letter was a typical "what's to stop someone from..." and "will you regulate this please." You obviously see that a lot with CC; with OC, in my experience, it has been more of a "I didn't realize you were allowed to..."

Anyway, good luck, and keep up the good work. Thought you would appreciate knowing that the recent news coverage has gotten people a bit more informed, if not necessarily "thinking."

Michigander

imported post

Quite some time ago now, we had a brain storming meeting in Berkley about ways we could expand (and by the way, we've done most of them).

I can't remember who, but someone brought up the point that if we did too much too fast, we could alarm a lot of people, and prompt a lot of political pressure to ban OC. In retrospect, it was a valid concern. We've been taking things at a pretty steady pace, not getting too stupid, and complaints to politicians seem to be kept to a minimum, at least the ones we hear about. And now here we are getting quite well known, and we haven't pissed off too many people.

Although, it is a good example of why it wouldn't be a bad idea for MOC to meet with Michigan law makers again.

reidksmith

imported post

Well, I'm not sure if the concern, on either end, is valid. The person who wrote this letter was obviously ill-informed. Again, they asked what was to stop people like you from quickly un-holstering your weapon and shooting them. If they didn't get the point after nearly 10 years of shall-issue CPL, they're never going to "get used to it." It won't matter how slow you take it with that crowd.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

reidksmith wrote:
...I just got a call from a legislative aide of a Michigan state representative asking me to help address constituent concerns expressed in a letter to the representative about OC...
The key there is that they came to us for ideas of how to address constituent concerns. That in and of itself is a huge victory. It shows that we are proving we are educated and responsible people to the politicians and that we want to work together for solutions. In this case at least, it also shows they are willing to work together. :)

autosurgeon

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
reidksmith wrote:
...I just got a call from a legislative aide of a Michigan state representative asking me to help address constituent concerns expressed in a letter to the representative about OC...
The key there is that they came to us for ideas of how to address constituent concerns. That in and of itself is a huge victory. It shows that we are proving we are educated and responsible people to the politicians and that we want to work together for solutions. In this case at least, it also shows they are willing to work together. :)
Yes this is a very good point! :celebrate

reidksmith

imported post

I should just clarify, (and I'd like to say this a bit more tactfully, but it's late...) I'm not officially affiliated with you MIOC, although I have met and spoken to many of you. I don't OC (but support the right), and I don't consider myself a member. Officially, I am the State Director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, and as such, I meet with and lobby directly many state Senators/Reps.

But, like I said before, keep up the good work. I have definitely seen that your efforts have been noticed. More and more people are asking me about OC now than, say, a year ago even.

G

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
reidksmith wrote:
This sure does fly in the face of the unsubstantiated rumors being thrown out on the web that there was already legislation being shopped for sponsors to outlaw OC.