• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun rights Bill Mims appointed to Virginia Supreme Court

Repeater

imported post

William "Billy" Mims is both anti-gun and anti Fourth Amendment.

Very bad for liberty and constitutional rights in Virginia.

Legislature names Mims to Supreme Court
The General Assembly unanimously elected former attorney general and legislator William C. Mims this afternoon to the Supreme Court of Virginia, effective April 1.

The election was a foregone conclusion after his appearance Monday before the House and Senate Courts of Justice Committees as the only candidate for the position.
Bob McDonnell's statement:

"Bill is an extraordinary public servant and a longtime personal friend. He has long been one of my closest co–workers in nearly 20 years in public office. I first met Bill when we served together in the Virginia House of Delegates. I later asked him to serve as my Chief Deputy Attorney General when I took office in 2006. Upon my resignation to run for Governor Bill was appointed to serve as Attorney General of Virginia and did so with excellence. We need individuals of Bill's character and intelligence in public service, and while he may have thought his time serving Virginia was over, today's appointment is welcome news to all of us who know just how uniquely qualified and decent a person he is. The overwhelming support for Bill's appointment to the highest court in Virginia is a reflection of the high regard in which he is held by leaders from both parties. Bill will make a tremendous Supreme Court Justice, and I congratulate him on yet another accomplishment in a life dedicated to serving the citizens of Virginia."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Yep...but that was written in stone.

I said all through the election that McDonnell was the better of the bad. His statement bears that out.

The disturbing thing is his Executive order on Discrimination.
He canceled out one of his own AG's opinion. So far, I'm not overly impressed.

Repeater

imported post

peter nap wrote:

I said all through the election that McDonnell was the better of the bad. His statement bears that out.

Indeed. Here it is:
As the chief executive officer for the Commonwealth of Virginia, I hereby establish a standard of conduct to ensure that all cabinet members, Executive Branch agency heads, managers, supervisors and employees understand and enforce state and federal law prohibiting employment discrimination.

Employment discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated by this Administration. The Virginia Human Rights Act recognizes the unlawfulness of conduct that violates any Virginia or federal statute or regulation governing discrimination against certain enumerated classes of persons. The Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution prohibits discrimination without a rational basis against any class of persons. Discrimination based on factors such as one’s sexual orientation or parental status violates the Equal Protection Clause of the United States Constitution. Therefore, discrimination against enumerated classes of persons set forth in the Virginia Human Rights Act or discrimination against any class of persons without a rational basis is prohibited.

Consistent with state and federal law, and the Virginia and United States Constitutions, I hereby direct that the hiring, promotion, compensation, treatment, discipline, and termination of state employees shall be based on an individual’s job qualifications, merit and performance. No employee of the Executive Branch shall engage in any discriminatory conduct against another employee.
So, does that include gun ownership as well, Governor? Will you succeed where Delegate Pogge failed?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Repeater wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Indeed. Here it is:
ee.
So, does that include gun ownership as well, Governor? Will you succeed where Delegate Pogge failed?
Who knows, but I doubt it.
He did exactly what he told Kaine he couldn't do, when he was AG.

He's too hard to read now. Lets see if he overules himself on the VDOF issue.

Thundar

imported post

Bill Mims is a statist and no friend of liberty.

Didn't expect anything but crony-ism from Guvna Bobby, especially when it comes to his close personal friend Billy.

This appointment will hurt VA gun rights for a long time.

Repeater

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Bill Mims is a statist and no friend of liberty.

Didn't expect anything but crony-ism from Guvna Bobby, especially when it comes to his close personal friend Billy.

This appointment will hurt VA gun rights for a long time.
Indeed. From the latest VA-ALERT:
Bill Mims was the interim Attorney General when Bob McDonnell resigned to run for Governor last year. Bill Mims was interviewed earlier this week by a joint House and Senate committee in consideration of him being appointed to the Virginia Supreme Court. When asked about judicial activism, he apparently gave a rather weak answer.

Prior to being the Interim Attorney General, Bill Mims was a state Senator. If you don't like the fact that CHP holders must keep their handgun fully concealed while sitting in their vehicle on K-12 school property - you can thank the then Senator Mims for that one.

In the Senate Courts of Justice Committee back in 2005, Senator Mims, who was never extremely strong on gun rights, said that handguns must be kept concealed at all times while on K-12 school property because "someone might pull onto school property with a handgun dangling from their rearview mirror otherwise."

That kind of wild thinking can really give us twisted laws and it certainly did in that case.

I have great concerns that the Supreme Court may not be the right place for Bill Mims.

At some point there will be an option for the public to speak on Mims nomination - I will advise when the time comes.