• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man sues Carrollton PD

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

I have said for years that I am more worried about interactions with the cops than I am criminals, even whenone isexercisinghis/her rights LEGALLY. I knowcops on the streetare usually just enforcing the existing law, but sometimes their "officer's discretion" -- stopping you for some perceived illegal act -- canget one into a very unpleasant and expensive situation (legal fees, loss of your firearm, etc.).

Dealing with criminals is so much simpler: Bang. Repeat as necessary.

I am so glad criminals only speak one language -- violence -- instead of highly complicated legalese.

-- John D.

Deanimator

imported post

The cops clearly pierced their qualified immunity. I hope he goes after the very clothes off their children's backs.

I don't know about Texas, but in Ohio and Chicago, cops are strictly on their own when it comes to punitive damages.

Going after the officers as individuals is the ONLY deterrent to this kind of thing.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

They throw him against a car, try to break his arm, stuff him in the back ofa cop car and laugh at him. Then when he goes to lodge a complaint and file a FOIA request they assault him again, interrogate him, andarrest him for not displaying his carry permit.

The only thing done correctly was that the DA didn't prosecute. This man is going to get and deserves some big money.

What happened here is typical of what cops do. They detain you and then try to find something you did wrong. Maybe an outstanding warrant, or jay walking, or anything no matter what so they can justify the stop or harrassment. It has happened to me too. Retalliation is unacceptable, but it happens everyday.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

Cops in texas have attitude anyway.

The reason for this incident is just "another black man with a gun" stereotyping.

Jeez, he was simply taking the license plate off a car. Not like it was some violent wife-beating or rape call.

TIME TO GET PAID !!!!

Huck

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I really don't think we should generalize the actions of a few LEOs to a larger group of them.

Agreed. A few badLEOs dont represent LEOs in general any more than a few bad gun owners represent allgunowners.But those particular LEOs are no better than the crooks they're supposed to be protecting society from and should be treated accordingly.

Not only should they face a civil lawsuit, they should also face criminal charges.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

eye95 wrote:
I really don't think we should generalize the actions of a few LEOs to a larger group of them.
When you're a bit older then you may understand your error.

If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain. Francois Guizot, "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head."

eye95

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
eye95 wrote:
When you're a bit older then you may understand your error.

If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain. Francois Guizot, "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head."
I've about had it with your self-serving arrogance.

This board really needs an ignore feature. However, I will just simply choose to breeze by your condescending drivel in the future. Have a nice life.

Rush Creek

imported post

At the core of this oppressive police conduct is the "vehicular dispensation" afforded all law enforcement by our courts when a citizen is occupying a motor vehicle (or even a bicycle !)

The traffic stop S.W.A.T. modekicks inwhen a citizen is operating or occupying a motor vehicle. All of their training focuses on taking optimum advantage of such situations. LEO's concentrate on vehicle contact because the courts have allowed them to violate the 1st, 2nd, 4th, & 5th amendments with impunity .The trampling of rights orchestrated under traffic stop procedure is more likely than not further aggravated if the occupant(s) happen to be African American - butno one is immune to this officially sanctioned car-jacking practice.

Good job by thiscitizen - may he soon be the proud new owner of the Carrolton police department.

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Yes, we should.
While all this was taking place, where were the so-called "good" cops?
Just as I figured.............

This is but one more reason OCDO needs an attorney to handle matters such as this.
Let someone else be a talking head on TV, we need support out here in the REAL world.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That is what I am often afraid of. I hope the citizen gets what he is certainly due.

A good suggestion, for anyone giving a complaint, a lawyer should be present.

And if they say the lawyer cannot not be in the interrogation room with you, I would think that is a violation of some kind because it is essentially forcing you to give up your rights just to file a complaint, which is poppycock.

To Hell With Not Being Armed

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

eye95 wrote:
I've about had it with your self-serving arrogance.

This board really needs an ignore feature. However, I will just simply choose to breeze by your condescending drivel in the future. Have a nice life.
Thank you, I am having a nice life.

But I do not write for you because I know that you can lead a post-whore to urine but can't make him think...err, ride horse drink. Awww heck, YOU get it.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

"While all this was taking place, where were the so-called "good" cops?" -- mark edward marchiafava

Like none of us are anxiousto be a federal test-case, I suspectthere aren't anycopsanxious to be another Serpico?

To paraphrase Jim Croce: You don't tug on Superman's cape/You don't spit into the wind/You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger/And you don't mess around withthe Thin Blue Line!

Just guessing...

-- John D.

ecocks

imported post

Hopefully he'll get their attention with a win on his lawsuit and appropriate damages which force policy changes.