• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PA resident flying to LA, California

uniballin

imported post

Hey all, uniballin from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association here. Nice to meet all of you. I have a couple questions that I am hoping you guys can answer for me.

I know you can legally bring a firearm on a plane (not on your person of course) if it is legal for you to have a firearm at your chosen destination.

This leads me to my first question: if LA is my destination, can I bring my firearm on the plane? Assuming that I can do that, would I be able to put it in my friend's car while following the Federal firearm transportation laws and keep it with me at my friend's home for the duration of my vacation? If I can do that, what about open carrying an unloaded firearm in LA county? I know OC is the big thing in a lot of cities in California, but what about LA?

Thanks in advance guys, cya.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

uniballin wrote:
Hey all, uniballin from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association here. Nice to meet all of you. I have a couple questions that I am hoping you guys can answer for me.

I know you can legally bring a firearm on a plane (not on your person of course) if it is legal for you to have a firearm at your chosen destination.

This leads me to my first question: if LA is my destination, can I bring my firearm on the plane? Assuming that I can do that, would I be able to put it in my friend's car while following the Federal firearm transportation laws and keep it with me at my friend's home for the duration of my vacation? If I can do that, what about open carrying an unloaded firearm in LA county? I know OC is the big thing in a lot of cities in California, but what about LA?

Thanks in advance guys, cya.
You can bring a firearm into LA. I'm assuming you're talking about a handgun here.

You can transport a handgun in a fully enclosed locked container in your friend's car. An alternative would be to open carry while you have your friend drive some crazy twisty route to his house while avoiding all school zones (which are 1000' areas around schools). Needless to say, the locked container route would be more feasible and easier.

You can keep the firearm at your friend's house. Don't allow a child to get a hold of it (obviously).

Los Angeles county varies a lot depending on what city you're in. Generally you'll likely be harassed if somebody notices the gun on you and they are the slightest bit suspicious of you. It's not a guaranteed thing, but it's something you should be prepared for.

The main points to take away are that you need to stay out of school zones, you need to keep the firearm unloaded and with your magazines in plain view, and you need to lock the firearm up when you're going through school zones.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Keep your gun in the TSA-compliant (locked up/unloaded) state and you SHOULD not have to worry about unwarranted searches and seizures or false arrests.

P.S. If it has a "firearms" tag, throw it away before leaving the airport, and if it's an obvious gun case, keep it out of sight so the police cannot demand a PC 12031(e) unloaded inspection.

jdoe

imported post

No Magazines with a Greater than 10 Round Capacity
Just a friendly note that you can't bring/import magazines into California with a capacity greater than 10 rounds. This is a topic that could be talked about for a couple of pages but the simplest thing to do is only bring the 10 or less capacity magazines into California and leave the others behind.

UOC in California
This means your unloaded handgun is clearly visible and your loaded magazines are clearly visible. Just like the girl 3rd person from the left below. You can see her openly carried handgun and openly carried magazines. It is my understanding that carrying a magazine in a pocket could get you popped for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.

attachment.php

School Zones
School Zones are 1,000 feet from the school property line and include Public Property and Private Property that is deemed to be a Public Place. Your handgun must be unloaded and locked in a case if you are passing through these zones.

Public Property, Private Property and Public Places
If you are on private property surrounded by a school zone and UOC in any area of the private property that is clearly accessible from public property such as the front unfenced yard the courts have deemed this area to be a public place and you could get arrested, charged and convicted for carrying in a school zone.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and any information provided by me is for entertainment purposes only.