Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glastonbury Police Chief "Connecticut is an open carry state"

Post imported post

CONNECTICUT IS AN OPEN CARRY STATE

Glastonbury Police Chief Thomas Sweeny was deposed today by Attorneys representing James Goldberg in his Federal Lawsuit over his arrest in 2007.

It is reported that Chief Sweeny when questioned, stated that Connecticut is an OPEN CARRY state.

A link to the Transcripts of today'sdeposition will be posted as soon as it is available.

Post imported post

And Glastonbury likes to violate peoples rights, and we will now enjoy paying Mr Goldberg a large sum of cash.

Post imported post

That transcript must be send to every PD, Mayor, and state police station once it is ready. IF we get a standard letter that can be send out,
    I for one would bear the cost of my town and every town that touches my town.
    I am in for 6 towns. Waterbury, Naugatuck, Bethany, Hamden, Cheshire, Prospect
    any one else in?

Post imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
    And Glastonbury likes to violate peoples rights, and we will now enjoy paying Mr Goldberg a large sum of cash.
    i think we all should be paying mr goldberg a large sum of cash

Post imported post

stacks04 wrote:
    GoldCoaster wrote:
    i think we all should be paying mr goldberg a large sum of cash
    I was adding to the Glastonbury Police Chief's testimony... I don't think WE individuals need to pay Mr Goldberg but Glastonbury should be writing him a nice big check.

Post imported post

I'll send a copy to every town that touches Hartford.

Post imported post

THANK YOU MIKE, JOHN AND ALL WHO POST ON OPENCARRY.ORG

In the case of James F. Goldberg v. Glastonbury Police Department, a sworn deposition of Chief Thomas Sweeny was taken recently.

A link to the entire deposition is provide for those who wish to read same.

May I suggest that Chief Sweeny in some ways now begins to get it right.[/b]

He obviously needs to lean more about OPEN CARRY, and it does seem like he has learned by visiting this sight.[/b]

Q Have you ever heard of an organization called Open Carry?[/b]

A
    Yes, sir.
    [/b]

Q
    And have you ever seen the website Open Carry dot-org?[/b]

A Yes.
    [/b]
    Q And what is your view on that organization? [/b]

A Clearly there are parts of the country people carry weapons and it's more the cultural norm or otherwise. Open Carry, what I've seen on the website and some of the blogs is there are people advocating a number of places around the country to go carry[/b], whether Connecticut, there's some people inConnecticut have talked about it. I think it's an issue different parts of the country view walking in with a firearm exposed very differently. There are states that basically have open carry laws and it's commonplace, not common in the northeast. It's going to result in a reaction from a lot of people when it happens, but I don't think the law's very clear on it in this state.[/b]

Q Why is the law not clear on that in this state?[/b]

A Because it seems you have the issue, it doesn't say that it has to be concealed, but the state has advocated for years that mature judgment be used when you walk into various establishments or otherwise, that you're walking in with it exposed and you have the issue of the alarm that it may create in other people. So you have an issue of the alarm feature. You want to walk in, have an open carry, but if people get upset by the manner in which you act and comport and carry yourself, you run the risk of being arrested for it.

Q We'll get into that later on. So you're aware that different states have different laws regarding the carrying of concealed weapons and open carry states?

A Yes, sir.

Q And you don't dispute that Connecticut is an open carry state?
    [/b]

A No, sir.
    [/b]

HERE IS THE LINK TOCHIEFSWEENY'SSWORN DEPOSTION!!!

Post imported post

GunFire wrote:
    That transcript must be send to every PD, Mayor, and state police station once it is ready. * IF we get a standard letter that can be send out,
    I am in for 6 towns. * Waterbury, Naugatuck, Bethany, Hamden, Cheshire, Prospect
    any one else in?***
    That's a great idea! Does anyone have a draft?

Other than the towns that Hartford touches I'd send this to Meriden and Wallingford PD's

Post imported post

Good news indeed! Now if we can just get the rest of the state to get it through their thick skulls so paranoid of arrest people like me can start open carrying, we'll be all set!

Post imported post

'Bout damn time!

Post imported post

beanoboy7 wrote:
    GunFire wrote:
    That transcript must be send to every PD, Mayor, and state police station once it is ready. IF we get a standard letter that can be send out,
    I am in for 6 towns. Waterbury, Naugatuck, Bethany, Hamden, Cheshire, Prospect
    any one else in?
    That's a great idea! Does anyone have a draft?

Other than the towns that Hartford touches I'd send this to Meriden and Wallingford PD's
    i am with you guys. i will print it out and get it in the mail immediately.

can someone write up a little header letter to be sent with it just so they all sound the same?

Post imported post

That was a long but quite interesting read!

Post imported post

Reading the bumbling, inarticulate replies this chief makes in response to many of the questions I have great difficulty believing this man legitimately has a masters degree in ANYTHING!
    HE cannot consistently put together a coherent statement. Everything he says is loaded with grammatical errors as well as syntax problems. How did this clown get in the position he is in?

Post imported post

Please remember it is not how he got there, he is the Chief now. And I cannot believe he cannot be fired. wow who came up with that.

Also sending over 113 pages to any local Chief or Mayor will do no good. I see the papers being tossed right in the trash.

I am hoping one of the smarter members can come up with a Concise form or way to convey our message. thanks

Post imported post

He states in his testimony that he can be fired for cause. If there is a good reason why he should be fired, he can be.

Post imported post

EVERYONE,

This is actually the real James Goldberg. I have been following this website and all of the support here is amazing. I cant tell you how much strength it gives me to read all of the positive comments. ALL of you are the reson why I decided to stand up and fight for OUR rights to carry in this state. It has been a long, and at times a uncomfortable road but it has been worth it. I know it is not over yet but I just want to say thanks again.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you'll need more than the chiefs testimony in this deposition. Probably need the courts final ruling on the case.

It also appears that this particular case isn't about OC, but rather the application of the "Public Alarm" charge as a result of OC. That and the siezure of the weapon.

Sounds like you folks have some real scardy cats in your state. It will take time, but you can recondition the population to not get their shorts in a wad over the sight of an openly carried sidearm.

I think it would be prudent to get a deposition from the waitress at Chilli's as well as other patrons that were there, to find out if the waitress was the only one "alarmed" or if others were. My guess is the waitress caused more alarm than the guy carrying the firearm.

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    I'm not a lawyer, but I think you'll need more than the chiefs testimony in this deposition. Probably need the courts final ruling on the case.

It also appears that this particular case isn't about OC, but rather the application of the "Public Alarm" charge as a result of OC. That and the siezure of the weapon.

Sounds like you folks have some real scardy cats in your state. It will take time, but you can recondition the population to not get their shorts in a wad over the sight of an openly carried sidearm.

I think it would be prudent to get a deposition from the waitress at Chilli's as well as other patrons that were there, to find out if the waitress was the only one "alarmed" or if others were. My guess is the waitress caused more alarm than the guy carrying the firearm.
    they way i see it is the case is about a permit revocation. the rest is simply an added bonus. depending on the outcome it may set precedence on a: having a permit revoked and its timely return, and b: that you should not be arrested for b-o-p when you open carry and someone see's it gets scared calls the cops and wastes a whole bunch of time. it is similar to calling the cops on a guy walking his dog on a side walk, the dog barks you get scared and call the cops.............

and as far as i know it was only the waitress, chili's takeout window is usually a separate entrance not near the main dining area with its own teller. have not been to that particular store though.

Post imported post

Sgt. Furlong who made the decision to arrest Goldberg, together with two officers and the Chief of Police have been deposed and sworn statements from the Laura Smith the Manager who call the police and two wait staff gave sworn statements to the State Police.

The 911 tape and several relevant documents have been obtained through Freedom of Information Requests.

ALL of the evidence in Mr. Goldberg's case point to and document a verybad decision to arrest a person who did nothing illegal or wrong.

There are two federal cases filed by Mr. Goldberg, one against the Glastonbury Police Department for the arrest and one against the Connecticut Department of Public Safety for the revocation and delay in the appeal hearing matter.

There is also onestate case regarding the illegal destruction of the weapon Mr. Goldberg was carrying.

I'm glad that James Goldberg finally posted on this message board first time.

James Goldberg was and is the lighting rod and poster boy for open carry without fear of arrest in Connecticut.

Thank you James I know it has been a long and expensive journey.

Post imported post

yes, i second that james. thank you.

Post imported post

I was talking to my 16 year old son today. And guess what he told me?? They had a local police officer inhis classtoday and at the end of the class,he asked if there were any questions.He askedthe officerif CT was an open carry state. Believe it or not the officer told him that CT was NOT an open carry state!!!I could NOT believe this when hetold me! How should I go about "informing" them that it is indeed legal to carry openly before they arrest someone for open carrying?? Maybe even me as I open carry now most times when leaving the house.Pretty sad when the people inforcing the law don't even know it...........:X

Post imported post

How about you contact the teacher and find out the name of the officer who spoke in the class? That officer clearly needs to be (politely) educated in the law, along with his chain of command.
    Connecticut Carry is dedicated to advancing and protecting the fundamental civil rights of the men and women of Connecticut to keep and bear arms for self defense of themselves and the state as guaranteed by the United States Constitution and the Constitution of Connecticut.

Join us and discuss the issues: http://ctcarry.com/Forum

Post imported post

RONIN51 wrote:
    EVERYONE,

This is actually the real James Goldberg. I have been following this website and all of the support here is amazing. I cant tell you how much strength it gives me to read all of the positive comments. ALL of you are the reson why I decided to stand up and fight for OUR rights to carry in this state. It has been a long, and at times a uncomfortable road but it has been worth it. I know it is not over yet but I just want to say thanks again.
    James the CCDL has been spreading your story and in your corner since the inception of our organization. If you get the chance try to make it to one of our meetings. It would be an honor for all of our members to meet you in person.

Oh by the way Membership is free!

Lenny Benedetto
    Vice President
    Connecticut Citizens
    Defense League, Inc.
    The Connecticut Citizens Defense League is a non-partisan, grassroots organization devoted to advocating rights affirmed by the Constitutions of the United States of America and the State of Connecticut. We are especially dedicated to protecting the unalienable right of all citizens to keep and bear arms, for the defense of both self and state, through public enlightenment and legislative action.
    Join Here: http://www.ccdl.us/membership

Post imported post

KennyB wrote:
    I was talking to my 16 year old son today. And guess what he told me?? They had a local police officer inhis classtoday and at the end of the class,he asked if there were any questions.He askedthe officerif CT was an open carry state. Believe it or not the officer told him that CT was NOT an open carry state!!!I could NOT believe this when hetold me! How should I go about "informing" them that it is indeed legal to carry openly before they arrest someone for open carrying?? Maybe even me as I open carry now most times when leaving the house.Pretty sad when the people inforcing the law don't even know it...........:X
    Why not call or E-mail the Chief where the class was given?
    I recently sent copies of the Courant article posted here to my COP & Mayor asking what their feelings were & how open carry would be handled here in Norwalk. Havent heard back yet but its about time I think to rattle their cages again so I just shot them another E-mail.

Heres a copy of both my e-mails to them,

Dear Chief Rilling & Mayor Moccia,

I recently sent you both an E-mail inquiring about recent events regarding a permit holder in Glastonbury who was arrested & later cleared for carrying a pistol & someone seeing it. It has come to light that there is no law forbidding open carrying or requiring concealment by people possessing valid pistol permits. It has also come to light that people getting upset & calling the police because they notice a permit holders gun does not justify arrest for breach of peace or similar charges.
    My question to you is quite simple.
    Have our police been informed that its not illegal for a permit holder to carry openly or have his gun "print"? I am including a copy of my original E-mail to you for clarification.

Thank you for your attention,
    Respectfully,
    Ken Prince Jr.
    Dear Chief Rilling & Mayor Moccia,

I'v been following this subject for awhile now & was wondering what Norwalk's policy is regarding the carry of hanguns by permit holders. Do they risk arrest in the city for carrying openly or if someone notices a gun and becomes alarmed?

Thank you.
    Ken Prince Jr.
    --- On Sun, 4/18/10, CCDL <admin@ccdl.us> wrote:

Date: Sunday, April 18, 2010, 9:54 AM

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser by clicking here.
    Open Carry in Connecticut:

As all of you know, CCDL stands behind whatever carry method you may choose as long as it is legal. Per Connecticut statutes, Open carry is legal.
    Through the courage of citizens like James Goldberg, who was willing to stand up and fight against an arrest that he knew was not warranted, the legal carrying of a visible handgun is making it's way into the mainstream media.

Please see the attached article in the Hartford Courant and dont't forget to leave comments and vote in the poll.

"Support Is Growing For Openly Carrying Permitted Weapons
    By EDMUND H. MAHONY, The Hartford Courant
    An eruption in a simmering dispute over gun rights occurred when James Goldberg, wearing camouflage clothing and a holstered — and licensed — pistol on his right hip, walked into a Chili's restaurant in upscale Glastonbury, where he intended to pay for a takeout order.

According to Goldberg, a college-educated, occupational safety engineer, a restaurant employee, concerned by the sight of an armed customer, called the town police department. A goggle-eyed luncheon crowd watched three officers roll up, confront Goldberg and handcuff him.

"What can we get him for?" Goldberg, 32, says one of the officers asked his colleagues.

The answer, as it turned out, was nothing.

A state Superior Court judge dismissed the breach of peace charge police ultimately filed against Goldberg, forcing law enforcement experts to concede that, absent extenuating circumstances, there is nothing in Connecticut law to prohibit licensed gun owners from conducting their lives visibly armed.

The judge's decision was treated as a vindication by some gun owners in traditionally gun-shy Connecticut. They are joining groups elsewhere in asserting, as Goldberg does, what they say is the right to carry sidearms openly, in public, for protection.

The "open carry" movement is growing at a time when the federal courts have been looking more favorably on the rights of gun owners than on the authority of governments to restrict gun ownership.

There are three federal lawsuits pending in Connecticut that challenge the way the state enforces gun laws. In one, Goldberg is suing Glastonbury over his arrest three years ago, claiming he was charged even though there is no state law against openly carrying a sidearm.

In the other two, Goldberg and M. Peter Kuck, a member of the state Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, argue separately that arbitrary enforcement of state gun laws by biased police officers has denied or delayed the issuance of handgun permits, resulting in a denial of due process rights to gun owners.

Kuck, as a member of the board that hears appeals from gun owners who have been denied permits or whose permits have been revoked, is indirectly attacking the work of his board. Goldberg argues that he was wrongly denied a pistol permit for nearly two years after the dismissal of his arrest.

A federal judge in Hartford dismissed both permit suits. But in late March, a federal appeals court in New York overturned the dismissals and sent the cases back to Hartford for further review."

Read the full article - http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-open-carry-guns-0418.artapr18,0,2346909.story

Carry On!
    CCDL, Inc.
    http://www.ccdl.us

Post imported post

Hey guys, just wanted to inform everyone that the police officer corrected himself today and informed my son that open carry is indeed "legal". I'm thinking he must have either been misinformed, or actually checked the lawhimself. Anyways, I was suprisedand happy to here this from my son as maybe there is hope that the local police are beginning to "accept"the law as it is. :celebrate

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast