• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glastonbury Police Chief "Connecticut is an open carry state"

Edward Peruta

imported post

CONNECTICUT IS AN OPEN CARRY STATE

Glastonbury Police Chief Thomas Sweeny was deposed today by Attorneys representing James Goldberg in his Federal Lawsuit over his arrest in 2007.

It is reported that Chief Sweeny when questioned, stated that Connecticut is an OPEN CARRY state.

A link to the Transcripts of today'sdeposition will be posted as soon as it is available.

GunFire

imported post

That transcript must be send to every PD, Mayor, and state police station once it is ready. IF we get a standard letter that can be send out,
I for one would bear the cost of my town and every town that touches my town.
I am in for 6 towns. Waterbury, Naugatuck, Bethany, Hamden, Cheshire, Prospect
any one else in?

GoldCoaster

imported post

stacks04 wrote:
GoldCoaster wrote:
And Glastonbury likes to violate peoples rights, and we will now enjoy paying Mr Goldberg a large sum of cash.
i think we all should be paying mr goldberg a large sum of cash:)
I was adding to the Glastonbury Police Chief's testimony... I don't think WE individuals need to pay Mr Goldberg but Glastonbury should be writing him a nice big check.

Edward Peruta

imported post

THANK YOU MIKE, JOHN AND ALL WHO POST ON OPENCARRY.ORG

In the case of James F. Goldberg v. Glastonbury Police Department, a sworn deposition of Chief Thomas Sweeny was taken recently.

A link to the entire deposition is provide for those who wish to read same.

May I suggest that Chief Sweeny in some ways now begins to get it right.[/b]

He obviously needs to lean more about OPEN CARRY, and it does seem like he has learned by visiting this sight.[/b]

Q Have you ever heard of an organization called Open Carry?[/b]

A
Yes, sir.
[/b]

Q
And have you ever seen the website Open Carry dot-org?[/b]

A Yes.
[/b]
Q And what is your view on that organization? [/b]

A Clearly there are parts of the country people carry weapons and it's more the cultural norm or otherwise. Open Carry, what I've seen on the website and some of the blogs is there are people advocating a number of places around the country to go carry[/b], whether Connecticut, there's some people inConnecticut have talked about it. I think it's an issue different parts of the country view walking in with a firearm exposed very differently. There are states that basically have open carry laws and it's commonplace, not common in the northeast. It's going to result in a reaction from a lot of people when it happens, but I don't think the law's very clear on it in this state.[/b]

Q Why is the law not clear on that in this state?[/b]

A Because it seems you have the issue, it doesn't say that it has to be concealed, but the state has advocated for years that mature judgment be used when you walk into various establishments or otherwise, that you're walking in with it exposed and you have the issue of the alarm that it may create in other people. So you have an issue of the alarm feature. You want to walk in, have an open carry, but if people get upset by the manner in which you act and comport and carry yourself, you run the risk of being arrested for it.

Q We'll get into that later on. So you're aware that different states have different laws regarding the carrying of concealed weapons and open carry states?

A Yes, sir.

Q And you don't dispute that Connecticut is an open carry state?
[/b]

A No, sir.
[/b]

HERE IS THE LINK TOCHIEFSWEENY'SSWORN DEPOSTION!!!

beanoboy7

imported post

GunFire wrote:
That transcript must be send to every PD, Mayor, and state police station once it is ready.   IF we get a standard letter that can be send out,
I am in for 6 towns.   Waterbury, Naugatuck, Bethany, Hamden, Cheshire, Prospect
any one else in?   

That's a great idea! Does anyone have a draft?

Other than the towns that Hartford touches I'd send this to Meriden and Wallingford PD's

Tazman2

imported post

Good news indeed! Now if we can just get the rest of the state to get it through their thick skulls so paranoid of arrest people like me can start open carrying, we'll be all set! :lol:

stacks04

imported post

beanoboy7 wrote:
GunFire wrote:
That transcript must be send to every PD, Mayor, and state police station once it is ready. IF we get a standard letter that can be send out,
I am in for 6 towns. Waterbury, Naugatuck, Bethany, Hamden, Cheshire, Prospect
any one else in?

That's a great idea! Does anyone have a draft?

Other than the towns that Hartford touches I'd send this to Meriden and Wallingford PD's
i am with you guys. i will print it out and get it in the mail immediately.

can someone write up a little header letter to be sent with it just so they all sound the same?

4sooth

imported post

Reading the bumbling, inarticulate replies this chief makes in response to many of the questions I have great difficulty believing this man legitimately has a masters degree in ANYTHING!
HE cannot consistently put together a coherent statement. Everything he says is loaded with grammatical errors as well as syntax problems. How did this clown get in the position he is in?

GunFire

imported post

Please remember it is not how he got there, he is the Chief now. And I cannot believe he cannot be fired. wow who came up with that.

Also sending over 113 pages to any local Chief or Mayor will do no good. I see the papers being tossed right in the trash.

I am hoping one of the smarter members can come up with a Concise form or way to convey our message. thanks

RONIN51

imported post

EVERYONE,

This is actually the real James Goldberg. I have been following this website and all of the support here is amazing. I cant tell you how much strength it gives me to read all of the positive comments. ALL of you are the reson why I decided to stand up and fight for OUR rights to carry in this state. It has been a long, and at times a uncomfortable road but it has been worth it. I know it is not over yet but I just want to say thanks again.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you'll need more than the chiefs testimony in this deposition. Probably need the courts final ruling on the case.

It also appears that this particular case isn't about OC, but rather the application of the "Public Alarm" charge as a result of OC. That and the siezure of the weapon.

Sounds like you folks have some real scardy cats in your state. It will take time, but you can recondition the population to not get their shorts in a wad over the sight of an openly carried sidearm.

I think it would be prudent to get a deposition from the waitress at Chilli's as well as other patrons that were there, to find out if the waitress was the only one "alarmed" or if others were. My guess is the waitress caused more alarm than the guy carrying the firearm.

stacks04

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, but I think you'll need more than the chiefs testimony in this deposition. Probably need the courts final ruling on the case.

It also appears that this particular case isn't about OC, but rather the application of the "Public Alarm" charge as a result of OC. That and the siezure of the weapon.

Sounds like you folks have some real scardy cats in your state. It will take time, but you can recondition the population to not get their shorts in a wad over the sight of an openly carried sidearm.

I think it would be prudent to get a deposition from the waitress at Chilli's as well as other patrons that were there, to find out if the waitress was the only one "alarmed" or if others were. My guess is the waitress caused more alarm than the guy carrying the firearm.
they way i see it is the case is about a permit revocation. the rest is simply an added bonus. depending on the outcome it may set precedence on a: having a permit revoked and its timely return, and b: that you should not be arrested for b-o-p when you open carry and someone see's it gets scared calls the cops and wastes a whole bunch of time. it is similar to calling the cops on a guy walking his dog on a side walk, the dog barks you get scared and call the cops.............

and as far as i know it was only the waitress, chili's takeout window is usually a separate entrance not near the main dining area with its own teller. have not been to that particular store though.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Sgt. Furlong who made the decision to arrest Goldberg, together with two officers and the Chief of Police have been deposed and sworn statements from the Laura Smith the Manager who call the police and two wait staff gave sworn statements to the State Police.

The 911 tape and several relevant documents have been obtained through Freedom of Information Requests.

ALL of the evidence in Mr. Goldberg's case point to and document a verybad decision to arrest a person who did nothing illegal or wrong.

There are two federal cases filed by Mr. Goldberg, one against the Glastonbury Police Department for the arrest and one against the Connecticut Department of Public Safety for the revocation and delay in the appeal hearing matter.

There is also onestate case regarding the illegal destruction of the weapon Mr. Goldberg was carrying.

I'm glad that James Goldberg finally posted on this message board first time.

James Goldberg was and is the lighting rod and poster boy for open carry without fear of arrest in Connecticut.

Thank you James I know it has been a long and expensive journey.