• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BBC - Wisconsin Carry Inc. raises pressure for gun rights

PavePusher

imported post

aureol40012 wrote:
Old Grump wrote:
aureol40012 wrote:

Erm, is that meant to be an insult or a compliment?
He means a twit is a twit and nationality has nothing to do with it. I can see where a twit would be afraid of guns but to be afraid of muscles too? That takes twitdom to a new level of low. Are you afraid of loud voices and polysyllabic words too? What about shadows, germs, black cats, bad smells, angry looks. Just call me curious.
You have to understand that the UK is different from the US. We are understated, low key. Crass displays of "look at me" in what ever form are frowned upon. Women simply do not find a man with arms like tree trunks (and wearing a t shirt designed to show them off) attractive. In fact they tend to laugh.

Look at one of our greatest exports - Morrissey.
Umm, I lived there for almost eight years. I can say, with some authority, that you are quite wrong.:lol:

Old Grump

imported post

I don't have a clue who this Morissey is but as a boxing fan I know David Haye, World heavy weight boxing champion. I doubt if he runs around with the low key pasty faced crowd and the man definitely has muscles in places you can only dream about Mr aureol40012. I doubt he would talk bad about another mans wife from the few times I have see him being interviewed. Seems to be down right funny and quick witted in fact.

I have 3 British friends and 1 Irish acquaintance and only one of them is the low key understated type. (I'll give you a hint, it isn't the Irishman)

They are all the have a "hell of a good time until closing time types". Maybe its just me, I like loud boisterous people who stand up for themselves and it doesn't matter if we play rugby, football or wrestle, we play to win. Somehow I doubt if they would fit in your little world. I feel sorry for you in fact.

aureol40012

imported post

marshaul wrote:
aureol40012 wrote:
You have to understand that the UK is different from the US. We are understated, low key.
LOL

This is great. The British are infamously smug in their self-assurance on this point.

Yet everywhere they go, they are derided all over Europe as among the most loutish of any civilized society.

I recently spent a couple weeks in the Czech Republic (where, by the way, all gun owners are allowed to carry their firearms concealed wherever they like, and gun owners there are many).

It was remarked to me numerous times how pleasantly polite and even (yes!) sophisticated we Americans as tourists tend to be, as compared to the British, whom are considered boorish, rude, obnoxious, and generally uncouth.

I, and most others, distance ourselves from the small (yet loud) group of people you refer to. Ironically these people are the type most likely to see themselves as the personification of Britishness (they usually vote BNP), yet they are the complete opposite. Luckily they usually hang around in British (and, again ironically, Irish) theme pubs when abroad, so they are easy to avoid.

I was in Cuba 5 years ago and noticed that the place was packed with Canadians. I got talking to one at a bar, and asked him why so many Canadian came to Cuba. He theatrically looked around and said "Well, do you see any Americans.....?"!!!

Serpent

imported post

You have to understand that the UK is different from the US.  We are understated, low key. 

If I remember correctly, isn't the UK where they were considering banning glass beer mugs in favor of plastic ones to prevent all you understated low key folks from killing each other in the pubs???

aureol40012

imported post

Serpent wrote:
You have to understand that the UK is different from the US. We are understated, low key.

If I remember correctly, isn't the UK where they were considering banning glass beer mugs in favor of plastic ones to prevent all you understated low key folks from killing each other in the pubs???
Nope, its where the horrific American litigation culture has been exported to and as a result anything with any deemed element of risk is removed. Its more about people supposedly falling and injurying themselves. I am a regular pub goer, have been for 25 years, and the last fight I saw in a pub was 22 years ago........

eye95

imported post

However, after a background check, local officials "may issue" concealed-carry mug permits. It's a bit awkward, because folks have to sip their brew through a straw.

Serpent

imported post

aureol40012 wrote:
Serpent wrote:
You have to understand that the UK is different from the US.  We are understated, low key. 

Nope, its where the horrific American litigation culture has been exported to and as a result anything with any deemed element of risk is removed.  Its more about people supposedly falling and injurying themselves.  I am a regular pub goer, have been for 25 years, and the last fight I saw in a pub was 22 years ago........

Good point... I despise the the entitlement attitude and litigation culture as well. Envisioning a nerf world where getting hurt is impossible. :banghead:
(nerf bricks?) Reality is that there are dangers in society, and I'd rather be the one to go home safe than the bad guy.

Gordie

imported post

aureol40012 wrote:
Yes, and? It is not our role to deal with that, it is the police's.
So you're saying that the police can be counted on 100% to protect you from criminal attack at all times and places? Do you always expect other people to take care of you?

Anyone who kills a burglar simply for breaking into their home is a criminal pure and simple (google Tony Martin).

A perfect example of injustice.

And as for people carrying knives on the street, what is your answer, carry a gun???!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!! Only a fool brings a knife to a gun fight.

I would be ashamed to live in a country where property is deemed to be more important than human life....................

And I would be ashamed to live in a country where defending yourself from violent attack makes you a criminal. When someone comes into your house uninvited, how do you knowthat they have no violent intentions? Are you supposed to ask first? Most criminals decline interview requests from their victims.

How civilized is it to require people to simply endure the attack and hope that they just survive, hopefullywithout severe injury? How is a woman who is beaten, raped, strangled with her own pantyhose, and left in a dark alley morally superior to a woman who explains to the police how her attacker received mortal gunshot wounds?No matter ifthat woman is my wife, daughter, sister, mother, niece, or even just random stranger, I can assure you who I believe is superior.

Criminals should know that when they decide to take on a career of crime, they have entered into a very dangerous career field. Injury and/or death may be the price of doing business. This would cause many to reconsider their chosen career path.

aureol40012

imported post

"Criminals should know that when they decide to take on a career of crime, they have entered into a very dangerous career field. Injury and/or death may be the price of doing business. This would cause many to reconsider their chosen career path."

Hmmm, I have to say that the stats for the USA and violent crime that I have seen don't seem to back that up. Equally, why is it then that those states with the death penalty tend to have higher murder rates than those without?

Serpent

imported post

Hmmm, I have to say that the stats for the USA and violent crime that I have seen don't seem to back that up.  Equally, why is it then that those states with the death penalty tend to have higher murder rates than those without?

aureo[40012;

While I have not looked up the statistics as you seem to have, I feel confident in saying that most likely a vast majority of non-criminal violent crime victims were unable to mount much of a defense, if any, against their attackers.
If a person is willing and able to defend themselves, they are much less likely to end up in the "victim" column of those stats. I am sure we'd agree that given the choice, both of us would prefer our loved ones to have to get over the trauma of having successfully defended against a violent attacker, than the trauma of living with, or dying with the knowledge that the bad guy won.

The bad guys will always find a weapon. I find it incomprehensible that someone would prefer that the law abiding citizen should have no way to survive.

Regarding the death penalty... We don't have an Australia to send them to, though there is an island off the coast of Europe where they can't get any guns. (ok, that was a joke, albeit not a very good one).

The deterrent factor of the death penalty is, admittedly, debatable. Are there people who truly don't deserve to live? Certainly. Are any of us wise and unbiased enough to pass judgement? Probably not. I believe it has it's place, I just am not 100% certain of which offenses I think should be covered.

Hopefully as more people become willing and able to defend themselves, some of the vilest samples of humanity won't be around to attempt to rob, rape, torture or kill more than once! The death penalty will be much less of an issue.

aureol40012

imported post

Serpent wrote:
Hmmm, I have to say that the stats for the USA and violent crime that I have seen don't seem to back that up. Equally, why is it then that those states with the death penalty tend to have higher murder rates than those without?

aureo[40012;

While I have not looked up the statistics as you seem to have, I feel confident in saying that most likely a vast majority of non-criminal violent crime victims were unable to mount much of a defense, if any, against their attackers.
If a person is willing and able to defend themselves, they are much less likely to end up in the "victim" column of those stats. I am sure we'd agree that given the choice, both of us would prefer our loved ones to have to get over the trauma of having successfully defended against a violent attacker, than the trauma of living with, or dying with the knowledge that the bad guy won.

The bad guys will always find a weapon. I find it incomprehensible that someone would prefer that the law abiding citizen should have no way to survive.

Regarding the death penalty... We don't have an Australia to send them to, though there is an island off the coast of Europe where they can't get any guns. (ok, that was a joke, albeit not a very good one).

The deterrent factor of the death penalty is, admittedly, debatable. Are there people who truly don't deserve to live? Certainly. Are any of us wise and unbiased enough to pass judgement? Probably not. I believe it has it's place, I just am not 100% certain of which offenses I think should be covered.

Hopefully as more people become willing and able to defend themselves, some of the vilest samples of humanity won't be around to attempt to rob, rape, torture or kill more than once! The death penalty will be much less of an issue.

In this country the likelyhood of someone meeting a violent and untimely end at the hands of another is so low it is virtually negligable.

"If a person is willing and able to defend themselves, they are much less likely to end up in the "victim" column of those stats."

Nope. One of the reasons for our government not extending the rights of homeowners in this country to allow them to use lethal force on burglars is that (quite obviously) if the burglar knows that they may find lethal force used against them, they are much more likely to get in there first!

"If a person is willing and able to defend themselves, they are much less likely to end up in the "victim" column of those stats.

I fundamentally disagree. This is the exact same logic of the vile little thugs in this country who carry knives; they have them to defend themselves. As a result even "respectable" kids carry knives so that they can defend themselves against the thugs. What they don't seem to graps is that those who are "carrying" are statistically up to 10 times more likely to get stabbed, quite often with their own weapon.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't trust our government -- or any government -- with the power of life and death.

There are plenty of people who deserve to be dead, but it's not wise to give government the task of carrying that out.

And, no, the deterrent factor of the death penalty is neither worthwhile nor particularly useful.

BTW, aureol seems to feel that our "freedoms" cause "thousands" of murders, "directly".

After he instructed me to watch Bowling for Columbine, I finally knew which murders he was referring to.

He is not referring to our unconstitutional, illegal, and immoral overseas adventures. This is little surprise, since his government likes to help out with our little jaunts.

He is referring to our high murder rate here in the U.S.

Well, it shouldn't surprise us that, as a 17-year-old, aureol lacks some basic understanding, such as a basic understanding of logical fallacy, and a basic understanding of how to read a film.

Where to begin?

I had, until very recently, a Bowling for Columbine poster on my wall. This may shock some folks here, others perhaps not so much. I liked the film because of its conclusions, which were conclusions I felt I shared, despite a difference in perspective and bias between myself and Mr. Moore.

Bowling for Columbine, despite following Moore's propensity to ridicule those he disagrees with (in this case WalMart and several gun owners), he was quite notably either unable or unwilling to make gun control the thesis of his film.

Quite contrarily, after spending quite some time ridiculing gun owners, the NRA, and WalMart, he proceeds to Canada, where he points out that they have a roughly proportionally similar number of gun owners per households as the U.S. does.

Now, Mr. Moore could have proceeded to give countless examples of Canadian gun control which is stronger than what he have, or how Canadians have fewer handgun. Did he do this things? Did he make the thesis of the film "American freedoms lead to gun ownership which directly causes thousands of murders?"

No, that was not the thesis of his film. Mr. Moore studiously avoided the correlation-implies-causation fallacy, and instead proceeded to develop an involved and meaningful theory for the cause of violence in America.

Where any gun control advocate could have recited the Canadian laws chapter and verse, Mr. Moore was content to point out that Canadians have lots of guns, and not lots of murder.

He then proceeded to, in a fashion, articulate his belief that it is America's fear-mongering media that are ultimately responsible.

How, here is where Mr. Moore and I diverge. He seems to suspect that, were Americans not subject to this influence, we would stop sleeping with .44s under our pillows of our own accord. He seems to suspect that fear causes gun ownership, a notion I reject outright as a generally unafraid individual.

I'm not sure I agree. I'm also not inclined to view .44s under the pillow as a problem, or even a symptom of anything specific or even negative.

However, I do agree with his fundamental premise: it's not guns that cause gun violence, but a variety of factors. And one of those factors quite likely is a media which focuses on gun violence constantly without any mitigating influence. People receive little gun safety or otherwise positive gun instruction, and they receive endless negative gun instruction from fear-mongering politicians, violent TV and antisocial music.

Now, I'm not about to blame the products of free speech either. I'm the first to argue that art is a reflection of the society which spawns it.

But its clear that the issue is much more complication that merely "guns = directly cause murder".

Even the admittedly anti-gun Michael Moore can admit this, yet it's quite an advanced notion for our British guest.

Which brings me to my next point: Correlation does not imply causation

Aureol, you're going to have to make your argument stronger than, "guns are legal, and lots of people are killed by guns, therefore the legality of guns causes thousands of murders". You're relying on a purely correlative relationship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence

Random example: Zimbabwe has one of the highest homicide rates in the world, yet you'd be hard pressed to blame it on guns or gun laws, since the majority of homicides are committed without guns (although guns play their part).

In fact, many an observer look at Zimbabwe, and end up recognizing the basic human right to self-defense and to possess arms for that purpose as a result.

The Ukraine has virtually no firearms homicides (4%), but one of the highest homicide rates in the world (nearly twice that of the US). Also, it has strict gun control.

I'd point out that the UK has had low gun violence since before their gun control efforts from the 60s onward and their final ban in '96 or whenever. In fact, gun violence has increased since the ban. While it's still much lower than the US, this shows the lack of direct causality in the correlative relationship between gun violence and gun control.

No, clearly it's not the guns, clearly it's something more complex.

Now, aureol, time for a truncated history lesson:

Once upon a time in America, a man could buy this from a Sears catalog, and have it delivered to his door.

There wasn't a problem with this, until some moralists passed the 18th amendment, which prohibited alcohol nationwide. Bootleggers rushed to fill the void (nature abhors a vacuum, don't you know), and before you know it you had gunfights in the streets with police where the criminals were armed with that very gun.

Shortly thereafter, we had our first major national gun control law, which represented the first point that an American could no longer buy a submachinegun from Sears.

Think about that for a minute. Clearly the gun didn't cause anything. It was just sitting there on the Sears page, not changing one way or the other. One day it wasn't a problem, the next it was. But it can't be the gun that caused that, or else it would have been a problem from day 1. Clearly, then, prohibition is the causal factor. This is supported by the drop in crime rates that occurred after prohibition was repealed with the ratification of the 21st amendment.

The problem was, crime didn't drop all the way back to normal. You see, all those bootleggers had formed highly profitable gangs, and you now had them engaging in protection rackets (in big cities where gun ownership is uncommon, I'll point out -- but never outside the big cities filled with immigrants who had yet to value (or were prohibited) their right to bear arms).

Elsewhere, those gangs turned to drug running. (They also tried gambling, but legal corporations destroyed the gangsters when gambling became legalized in Vegas). Today, that is still the prime raison d'etre for gangs in America.

Young urban youth are attracted, not because they get a gun and its allure compels them to a life of violence and death, but because of the money drugs offer. The guns follow the money, as a means to protect it in the absence of any objective court of justice for drug dealers.

BTW, aureol, remember, I lived in the UK. I can tell you right off the bat one of the big differences from here to there that leads to a huge difference in gun violence.

In the UK, prohibition is a joke (don't get me wrong -- I approve. I'd approve further if you all repealed US-pushed drug prohibition). I witnessed this firsthand: drug dealers are NOT hassled until they turn to specific violence. Occasionally they are shaken down and their product is stolen by the police, but they are rarely incarcerated as a result unless they engage in gang violence.

Thus, unlike in America, those drug dealers are actually positively incentivized to avoid violence as much as possible.

Furthermore, with gun ownership so low and even the beat police disarmed, there's nobody to shoot it out with.

However, that doesn't mean you can just outlaw guns in America and solve all our problems. You magically get rid of all guns, and the gangs won't have guns (although how you could achieve this impossible result has never been shown). However, you still have a gang problem, and you still have drug dealers incentivized towards violence by the system (which, remember, is not the case in the UK). They'll merely turn to beating and stabbing each other, like they do in countries where only the most successful criminals can afford guns.

Correspondingly, that also doesn't mean we couldn't have a peaceful society with guns, since guns aren't the causal factor. In fact, it suggests that, even if we don't care about guns but we do care about gang violence, we should focus elsewhere since the guns are irrelevant, not being a casual factor.

Now, where ought we to focus? I have some ideas. End prohibition. Encourage lawful self-defense amongst poor minority communities who feel forced to defend themselves, if at all, using extra-legal means. Free the lower rungs economy from government parasitism to enable the poor to afford school and opportunity.

There's lots of things that will help. Gun control isn't one of them.

aureol40012

imported post

"There are plenty of people who deserve to be dead, but it's not wise to give government the task of carrying that out."

Oh. My. God. You are serious aren't you? How does someone end up with such views?

I believe that the death penalty is never appropriate, regardless of the crime committed, but if we are to put people to death then the ONLY people who should have that power is the Government! You CANNOT have individuals executing other individuals!

You seem to be suggesting that a yank with a gun is entitled to be judge, jury, and executioner? If you deem somebody to be posing a threat to your life then you can dispatch them to meet their maker?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

aureol40012 wrote:
"There are plenty of people who deserve to be dead, but it's not wise to give government the task of carrying that out."

Oh. My. God.  You are serious aren't you?  How does someone end up with such views? 

I believe that the death penalty is never appropriate, regardless of the crime committed, but if we are to put people to death then the ONLY people who should have that power is the Government!  You CANNOT have individuals executing other individuals!

You seem to be suggesting that a yank with a gun is entitled to be judge, jury, and executioner?  If you deem somebody to be posing a threat to your life then you can dispatch them to meet their maker?
You need to learn to think. I never said that vigilante death penalties are acceptable.

In fact, I would give the victims of lynchmobs all the guns they need to avert their fate -- even if that victim would end up in a courtroom for some crime once the mob had dispersed.

My position is thus: ethically, I have no problem executing the most vile, viscous people. Practically, the only agency who ought to do that is government. I don't trust government with this power.

Therefore, I oppose the death penalty. Period. In all circumstances.

You're so desperate to see me as some American monster you twist my words to suit your confirmation bias, even when we might agree at least in result!

Why should I continue to engage you if you're going to behave this way? I thought you said you weren't 17?

aureol40012

imported post

marshaul wrote:
I like the trains.
So, we agree on something at last...............

I have to say that I travelled from Toronto to New York by train (60 days before 9/11). Beautiful scenery for the last 90 minutes, but good grief overall it was painful. I'm guessing the only people who travel long distance by train in the US are the ones who have no other option?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

aureol40012 wrote:
marshaul wrote:
I like the trains.
So, we agree on something at last...............

I have to say that I travelled from Toronto to New York by train (60 days before 9/11).  Beautiful scenery for the last 90 minutes, but good grief overall it was painful.  I'm guessing the only people who travel long distance by train in the US are the ones who have no other option?
Well, our trains are fairly slow by modern standards thanks to the government subsidizing a failed model for the last number of decades and occupying the space that could be filled with competitive development.

Since the U.S. is a very large country, that means that it can take overnight to get somewhere you might fly in two or three hours, or it can take 3 days to train vs 6 hours to fly cross-country.

Generally, if you ride Amtrak, most of the passengers are "lower-middle-class", I suppose you could say. Unless, of course, you ride one of their few business-oriented fast trains, which tend to attract a broader clientele (you can take the Acela from Washington D.C. to New York in 3 hours, which isn't half bad. I've ridden it myself, it's OK.

I used to ride the Crescent from Manassas, Virginia to Atlanta, Georgia, which is an overnight trip (evening departure, morning arrival just late enough to have breakfast on the train). It's not bad, especially if you can afford a sleeper, but it's simply too slow to function for business travel and the like. Only good for vacationers, people relocating on a budget, whatever.

Some people prefer to take a train because you don't have to deal with airport security (I enjoy this aspect myself), and it's generally more comfortable. So, there are exceptions to my generalizations, of course.